The MIJ Classifieds: please read the rules before posting...

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
ST57-105DMC

This is a '57 style MIJc Fender strat but was at a higher level than the standard ST57s which had basswood bodies and poly finishes. This one is 2 piece alder body, nitro finish and specially made Dimarzio pickups unique to this line. Made in 2004-2006. More details and pics on the reverb link above...

I am actually more interested in a trade deal on a similar level 52 style telecaster. (Prefer fat necks). It doesn't have to be maple or 52 style if the neck is nocaster thick.
20200702_112504.jpg

Vicar

Reaction score
New member here!

In the market for a Greco EGC, ideally Mint collection, but flexible or potentially a 80s/v early 90s Burny RLC. Ideally Black or white/cream with a ebony or dark rosewood board.
Would lover to hear recommendations or pointers to ones for sale. I am trawling Yahoo Japan/Reverb but am still learning about the different models and its quite a minefield!

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

MCT

Reaction score
Tokai Les Paul Reborn 1978 Dark Cherry Sunburst
https://reverb.com/item/34339829-tokai-les-paul-reborn-1978-dark-cherry-sunburst?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34339829

As promised, up for sale is a beautiful ‘78 Tokai Les Paul Reborn LS-80. I bought this beauty from Wulf, and while she’s great, the neck is a touch too small for me (it’s about a medium-to-medium/large ‘59 neck, I’d say). I’ve upgraded her electronics to include PIO caps and 500k pots, and replaces the pickups in favor of OX4 A4 low winds. She’s had a neck repair at some point in her life, but it’s hardly noticeable!

For pics and more details, see the Reverb listing.

I’ll drop the reverb price to $1450 + shipping for MLP forum members.

Any comments/questions/concerns, message me!View attachment 471562View attachment 471563
Anyone wanna give this 1978 LS-80 a new home?

Price drop to $1250 + shipping for MLP members.

JDZ

Reaction score
New member here!

In the market for a Greco EGC, ideally Mint collection, but flexible or potentially a 80s/v early 90s Burny RLC. Ideally Black or white/cream with a ebony or dark rosewood board.
Would lover to hear recommendations or pointers to ones for sale. I am trawling Yahoo Japan/Reverb but am still learning about the different models and its quite a minefield!

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
I have a Super Real EG 1000C with DRY Z's, Ebony board and MOP markers in Black Sunburst to sell and also an EGF 850C which is a flame top Custom w/ PU-2's, which is a non-catalog model Greco did in 1981. Also has MOP markers with Rosewood board.

PM me if interested

Last edited:

currypowder

Reaction score
Now for the good stuff. I've decided to let a couple of my more prized pieces go. I am under no pressure at all to sell either and am perfectly happy to keep them both.

2002 Tokai LS-320 - $3,500 Shipped NOW $2,900

First is a 2002 Tokai Love Rock LS-320. For me, the early-mid 2000s LS-320 are the top of the heap. A 2003 LS-320 (purchased in 2005) was my very first MIJ guitar and it is still with me today. Many single cuts of all types and prices have passed through my hands and though some were close, none have knocked my 320 from the top.

I picked up this 2002 last year and can honestly say that if blindfolded, I could not tell the difference between the two. Feel, playability, tone is all the same. I had some thoughts about using this one as a platform test out high end pickups and may still go down that road. But, for now, I'm making it available.

You probably know the specs, but for the uninitiated, it has a AAAA solid flame maple cap on a 1-piece Honduras mahogany body and 1 piece Honduras mahogany neck. The fretboard is Brazilian. PIckups are the original Seth Lovers (which are a fantastic match with the LS-320) with Tone Factory PIO caps. The finish is Tokai's Violin Burst and very thin lacquer.

Condition wise is very good, though there is some playwear including some nicks on the corners. But the guitar is completely solid with no breaks or repairs.

The weight is a solid 9.5 pounds. I would describe the neck as a comfortable '59 shape and size. You will notice that there are no fret end nibs on this one. I guess whoever ordered this wanted it this way, there is no evidence of a refret. The measurements are:

1 11/16"
2 1/16"
7/8"
15/16"

OHSC is included.

Next is a 1982 Greco EGF-1600 Limited Edition w/ DryZ pickups - $3,900 Shipped Now $3,300

In the early 80s, Greco built a few models to clone Neal Schon's Limited Edition. Apparently there were 2 models, the EGF-1600 with a veneer flame top and EGF-2500 with a solid maple top. I'm not sure anyone has ever seen a confirmed 2500. This one is a veneer, so I'm calling it an EGF-1600 though it has some elements of a custom order.

The serial number clearly indicates that it is a 1982 model, yet the pickups are Maxon DryZs. Another interesting feature of the pickups is that the serial numbers don't match. My theory/guess is that they came from 2 different batches, bridge pickup is an uncovered zebra (no evidence that it ever had a cover) and the neck has a gold cover. That is only a guess though.

The specs include a mahogany body, maple cap with flame veneer and a flame maple veneer on the back. The neck is 3-piece maple with a brass nut. The fretboard is ebony with split block inlays, including an inlay at the 1st fret.

Condition-wise it's in good solid shape, but has some playwear including a few significant dings on the side. The input jack plate is not original and doesn't really fit very well, though it doesn't look like additional holes were drilled. The biggest issue is the the back veneer was lifting in a couple of spots near the control cavity and horn and had a couple of cracks. I had a luthier repair these spots without any refinishing. At the same time, the frets were leveled and a full set up was done. It plays like a dream now.

The weight is a solid 10.5 pounds. I would describe the neck as a comfortable '59 shape and size. The measurements are:

1 11/16"
2 1/16"
7/8"
1"

A non-original hard case will be included

Several Tokai Pics here, teasers below - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoLRRT1O_HxXgYA4PpXJMkCt2H3a0w?e=cxI5Wd
Several Greco Pics here, teasers below - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoLRRT1O_HxX5EY8j9kZzGd5RQgC?e=9Kq0jZ

Price drops, $2,900 for the Toka LS-320 and $3,300 for the EGF-1600 w/ DryZs.

currypowder

Reaction score
2017 Momose MTL2-STD/M in Natural finish - $1,500 Shipped NOW $1,250

It took me years to try out a Momose, but once I did, I was smitten. I bought this one and immediately found a Momose 10th Anniversary in a color that I prefer, so this natural finish is available.

The soft V neck shape and size is to die for. I almost can't stand to play a regular bolt-on C shape neck anymore. The Momose Twang 50 pickups are very true in tone to a vintage 50s pickup set.

Tho body is a gorgeous 2-piece Ash. The 1 piece maple neck has a modern 9.5" radius and tall frets, very easy to play. As I mentioned above, the shape is a thick soft V that just fits perfect in the hand.

Width at the nut - 1 5/8"
Width at the 12th fret - 2 1/16"
Depth at the nut - 15/16"
Depth at the 12th fret - 15/16"

It's a nice weight at 8.2 pounds.

I'll describe it as very good to excellent shape, but I honestly can't find a mark on it. Will ship in a nice padded gig bag.

Several pics here, teasers below (note, the tweed case in some of the pics is not included) - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoLRRT1O_HxXgYd9HCC2ELYCAozLwg?e=8JHbuO

Price drop on the Momose, now $1,250.

currypowder

Reaction score
1996 Ornetts GM-6 Double Cut - $975 Shipped NOW $850

This is one of the very first Ornetts models made. They started in the mid-90s and this was the top of the heap. Incredible quilt top with original zebra pickups coupled with a rosewood fretboard and real shell inlays. And I love the herringbone binding around the body and headstock. The neck looks to be a 5-piece with mahogany and 2 small strips of darker wood.

The amber quilt top is a veneer over solid maple cap.

This guitar is a great player and is built to the highest standards in Japan. It's one that is rarely seen. I'm assuming that the pickups are Ornetts made, I find them to be a little hotter than a typical PAF.

The guitar will come in a high quality padded gig bag.

It's pretty solid at 9.5 pounds. I'd describe the neck as a comfortable '59, not thin at all. The measurements are:

Width at the nut - 1 11/16"
Width at the 12th fret - 2 1/16"
Depth at the nut - 7/8"
Depth at the 12th fret - 15/16"

Several pics here, a few teasers below - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoLRRT1O_HxXwjFkP6GmAt0RGyuS?e=11ch8g

Price Drop on the Ornetts. Now $850

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Price Drop on the Ornetts. Now $850
Ornetts seems like one of those companies that should have kept going. Their long tenon design is better than the original Gibson tenon (in my opinion). My '54 style resonates really well. I don't know if the GM-6 had the same style tenon but that looks pretty cool and probably has better upper fret access.

justinspv

Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone had any experience buying directly from Guitar Planet in Tokyo?

justinspv

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice about what I should be looking at and perhaps if there is anything to avoid when searching for a Japanese made 55/56 black les Paul custom with p90s?

Hydra19

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice about what I should be looking at and perhaps if there is anything to avoid when searching for a Japanese made 55/56 black les Paul custom with p90s?
Yeah, Edwards is the only option, navigator is very rare and about 3-4 times the price of the edwards

Last edited:

justinspv

Reaction score
Thanks for the Navigator and Edwards suggestions. Has anyone taken a standard version of a MIJ les Paul (like a Tokai ls132s or a Crews OSL 56) and converted it to a 56 Custom? The neck inlays would have to stay trapezoid rather than the blocks.

Hydra19

Reaction score
Thanks for the Navigator and Edwards suggestions. Has anyone taken a standard version of a MIJ les Paul (like a Tokai ls132s or a Crews OSL 56) and converted it to a 56 Custom? The neck inlays would have to stay trapezoid rather than the blocks.
I don't remember anyone posting something like that, but I think I do remember the suggestion when previously searching for a '54 MIJ black beauty. There is a Tokai, but it has a rosewood fretboard, it does have P90's though. Otherwise, the cheapest option is still the Edwards and rout it out for P90's. Might as well buy a used one for cheap and have it converted to what you like

Latest Threads