The Mighty Dimarzio super distortion

TheX

Don't look directly at edro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love them. My 2001 Standard Plus has a pair of double creams.

1663944878461.png

TheX

Don't look directly at edro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only have I never liked that pickup, I'm personally boycotting all DiMarzio product until and unless DiMarzio releases their unlawfully acquired trademark on double cream coil humbucker pickups, which should never have been granted as it was clearly "prior art" with Gibson having made double cream humbuckers in the 1950s. For Larry DiMarzio to have even CONSIDERED trying to trademark that, which he KNEW Gibson had already done, was an EPIC D__K MOVE and I don't do business with EPIC D__KS!!!!
Cool story, more SD's for the rest of us.

jbash

Reaction score
Not only have I never liked that pickup, I'm personally boycotting all DiMarzio product until and unless DiMarzio releases their unlawfully acquired trademark on double cream coil humbucker pickups, which should never have been granted as it was clearly "prior art" with Gibson having made double cream humbuckers in the 1950s. For Larry DiMarzio to have even CONSIDERED trying to trademark that, which he KNEW Gibson had already done, was an EPIC D__K MOVE and I don't do business with EPIC D__KS!!!!
Gibson used white bobbins, not cream.

AJK1

Reaction score
Gibson used white bobbins

cmjohnson

Reaction score
White or cream, either way it had been done before and should never have been allowed to be trademarked by DiMarzio. That was just wrong to grant it, and wrong of DiMarzio to even apply for it.

JMP

Reaction score
Who’s using super distortions in both the neck and bridge positions? Curious about the neck position primarily.

Zungle

Reaction score
No color or color combination should ever be a factor in any trademark....

In fact the concept/idea of trademarking often is shaky at best.

Most people don't really understand the difference in a utility patent and a Trademark.......

Trademarking a guitar pickup based on color combination is ridiculous.....

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Utility patent, trademark, copyright, they're all intellectual property protections.

I agree, color should not be something that can be patented, copyrighted, trademarked, etc. Except in special cases. For example, John Deere has trademarked its specific combination of a specific shade of green and a specific shade of yellow. It's reasonable that a competitor in the same market should not be able to use that same green and yellow combination. But it should not be under any such limitations if you're making something that is a totally different category. Say you make sporting goods. I see no reason you can't make tennis rackets or golf clubs in green and yellow.

Sometimes patent, copyright, and trademark laws are abused to the extreme.

If you name your Ford Mustang Eleanor, the rights holders to the movie Gone in 60 Seconds can seize it because that's trademarked. And they have done that. Granted, the seized vehicle was also built to be identical to the one in the movie... So I'd just dare them to prove that mine isn't named Ella Nor instead....that is, if I were to have any desire to own a Mustang. (I do not.)

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I’ve got blueberry colored SD’s on an 80s RG Supersrat! Love them!

To anyone worried about their whiteness, or lack thereof, you can order about any color from DiMarzio, just sayin!

And for some reason they’re much less $$$ new than everyone else last time I checked.

BKS

Reaction score
White or cream, either way it had been done before and should never have been allowed to be trademarked by DiMarzio. That was just wrong to grant it, and wrong of DiMarzio to even apply for it.
Commercial it actually was a smart move. It pissed of a lot of people and he is cashing...
My double cream dualsound would go well with my double white (now cream) Gibson Shaw for looks.

jbash

Reaction score
Who’s using super distortions in both the neck and bridge positions? Curious about the neck position primarily.
I have in the past. It makes a surprisingly good neck pickup. It's no PAF, Fender single, or P90, but clean it has a big fat warm but clear pseudo acoustic tone, and wound up with some gain it does an amazing John Sykes/Gary Moore/Slash type woman tone/-pull the lows back on the amp and it shreds/sweeps great if that is your thing.

I'm sure someone has a use for it in the edge of breakup rhythm type tones, but I never could with my rigs/setups.

RetropM

Reaction score
If you want a great match to the SD for the neck, get a Super 2, they are very underrated.

JMP

Reaction score
I have in the past. It makes a surprisingly good neck pickup. It's no PAF, Fender single, or P90, but clean it has a big fat warm but clear pseudo acoustic tone, and wound up with some gain it does an amazing John Sykes/Gary Moore/Slash type woman tone/-pull the lows back on the amp and it shreds/sweeps great if that is your thing.

I'm sure someone has a use for it in the edge of breakup rhythm type tones, but I never could with my rigs/setups.
Thanks for taking the time for a thoughtful reply!

Both my Les Pauls currently have 57 classics as stock - in the 2001 R7, they are amazing. In my 2017 Traditional, they are just ok (darkish and sound totally different as compared to the R7). I’m thinking of fresh pickups for the Trad simply to give it a different voice.

I have a Dimarzio Norton sitting in a drawer. I’m thinking that the Norton in the neck position and a SuperDistortion in the bridge is worth trying.

Anyone tried this combination?

Zungle

Reaction score
Utility patent, trademark, copyright, they're all intellectual property protections.

I agree, color should not be something that can be patented, copyrighted, trademarked, etc. Except in special cases. For example, John Deere has trademarked its specific combination of a specific shade of green and a specific shade of yellow. It's reasonable that a competitor in the same market should not be able to use that same green and yellow combination. But it should not be under any such limitations if you're making something that is a totally different category. Say you make sporting goods. I see no reason you can't make tennis rackets or golf clubs in green and yellow.

Sometimes patent, copyright, and trademark laws are abused to the extreme.

If you name your Ford Mustang Eleanor, the rights holders to the movie Gone in 60 Seconds can seize it because that's trademarked. And they have done that. Granted, the seized vehicle was also built to be identical to the one in the movie... So I'd just dare them to prove that mine isn't named Ella Nor instead....that is, if I were to have any desire to own a Mustang. (I do not.)
yep....

Trademarking colors is nothing more than a $$ grab by elite that manipulated laws to make it happen.....for $$

Color is a naturally occurring phenomenon and trademarking any color or combination is a joke......

For a trademark, color would always be "prior use"

Humans....being humans.

Latest Threads