The Mesa Boogie Appreciation Thread!

lifele55

Reaction score
Am on my phone, can't wait to post pics of my Mesa. Lovely looking amps in here.

Mick51

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Nicolas. I have an F30, and it's a nice amp, but regardless of the tone tweaking, I just can't get the sound I'm after. With my old Mk 2B, that's not a problem. I would have to call it depth and roundness. With the F30, I can get a lot of brightness, and a nice, 'Chimey" sound not unlike some Voxes. Some may love it, but it just isn't what I am after. The 2B just gives me more depth and presence.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
Longtime rectifier fan. Currently have a Mini and 2x12 horiz. I like the more focused tone of the Mini. It just seems like it cuts through better IMO.

ant_riv

Reaction score
Sorry no pics right now but I have a .50 Caliber+ (6L6) and a DC-3 (EL84).
Both are 1x12 combos.

I really like them. Never really tried any other Mesas, but there are a few I'd like to check out.

Steinmetzify

Reaction score
Warning! Brutal Mesa content!

This is an FJA modded Single Rec series II...and the most brutal amp I've ever played on the Modern channel.....upgraded transformer, depth mod, incredible clean channel, gain boost on a push/pull bass knob, the works.

And it sounds like this:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/steinmetzify/singlerecchunk[/SC]

Reason you can hear the strings is because that amp wasn't even on 1 at the time.

Seriously one of the best amps I've ever played...does brutal metal like you wouldn't believe, GREAT blues, sludge, beautiful shimmery cleans. It was awesome...I had to sell it awhile back, but the new owner loves it even more than I did and is considering sending more of his amps to FJA because he was so impressed with this one. Mesa makes great amps.

jfwund

Reaction score
Gorgeous, LongBeach!

I really like Mesas -- my favorite amp manufacturer. I owned an Express 5:50, and really liked that amp. I currently own a Mini Rec and a Mark V.

KFowler, there's a good (huge) thread on the Gear Page about the Mini Rec with lots of info. Here's my take: I really like the clean channel -- some really nice tones there. I like a warm, round clean sound, and the Mini Rec can do that in spades. It's also flat out awesome to set the wattage to 10 watts, crank up the volume on the clean channel, and ride the volume knob on the guitar to get a range of crunch, edge of clean, and clean sounds. Driving the power tubes is fun. The red channel is a little trickier for me -- there's definitely a buzzy recto tone, as well as the big crushing metal tones. There are some nice liquidy lead tones there too, but the green channel just sounds better to me overall. The FX loop is also good. The EQ is very versatile, and pretty intuitive. It's easy to dial in a whole bunch of sounds.

Dislikes: This is not a quiet amp -- it really needs to be opened up a bit to sound good. It doesn't really clean up well with the volume knob on the guitar on the red channel, and the red channel can be a bit fizzy/buzzy sounding if not dialed in correctly (and if not loud enough!) While it's a loud amp, the bottom end is lacking when played next to my Mark V. That's comparing apples to steak dinners, I know, but the Mark V sounds better to me across the board, for the sounds I like to hear anyhow. It's also 2.5 times the price, so it ought to.

The Mini really is a remarkable amp, and it's one of Mesa's better efforts. It can do metal, but it's not a "metal amp."

Pron:
7556745098_4d6ff003f0_c.jpg

8754634326_b8ec8ccab6_c.jpg

8499748972_aa61868dd3_c.jpg

LongBeach

Reaction score
That thing is huge.. Is that the 10 x 12?

4 each 10" is what it's noted as.
It is big, and weighs an absolute ton.
I bought it new at Mesa Hollywood in 08.
5w,15w,30w. (5w sucks..:laugh2::laugh2:)
30w is LOUD! not as loud as my 2204, but loud none the less.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Picked up a Mark V abut a moth ago and am still in the honeymoon phase--what an incredibly toneful and fun amp to play. Amazing

Ippon

Reaction score
My first MB was the LoneStar. Then I experienced the 2 channel Triple Rec, the Tremoverb, Mark IV and V, RoadKing II, and Royal Atlantic. :)

38-Ippon-MBRoadKingII-39s_zps54b5cb78.jpg

lunchbox

Reaction score
I played one of these in my band for almost 10 years. That was practice 3x/ week, gigs 2-3x/month.

Aside from a couple of transformer changeouts and fried circuitboard, it was great. lol

odin69

Reaction score
Here's my Dual-Rectifier. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Mark V.

odin69-albums-gear-picture7768-dsci0366.jpg

decoy205

Reaction score
All I have now is my cab which kills.
DSC03743.jpg

Id love to have a Mark V! I had a 3 Chanel dual recto for a long time but I prefer the small logo old school rectos with the good stock trannys.

Now that I'm mostly playing and recording at home a mini seems really appealing.

Nice amps guys!

NotScott

Reaction score
I have had this Mark III since I ordered it from Mesa in 1988. It is a blue stripe fully loaded Simul-Class.

I had an Altec 417 in it forever but, it was beamy. I put a Weber BeamBlocker on it and that helped. A few months ago I tried an EVM 12S in it. The S is the short cone version of the famous 12L. I think the shorter cone prevents the speaker from being so directional. Regardless, the EV is staying in it.

The combo is weak on low end and I do have to jack up the lows on the graphic to give it depth but, it does sound great. It sounds even better run through a 4X12.

If only the thing didn't weigh so much.....................

IMG_4193_zpsfcc672e1.jpg

Latest Threads