The man Gary Rossington

marshallmellow

Reaction score
Gary is/was great, but at least as great were Allen, Ed King and especially Steve Gaines, who was an absolute monster. RIP Allen and Steve. One of my favorite bands.
I couldn't have said it better myself.....Skynyrd rules!

Keithers

Reaction score
You know, I have to admit I never really thought a lot about GR until I saw an old concert they did for The Old Grey Whistle Test I think. They had a lot of footage of his solo on "Call me the breeze" and I was blown away. I became a fan that day.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
You know, I have to admit I never really thought a lot about GR until I saw an old concert they did for The Old Grey Whistle Test I think. They had a lot of footage of his solo on "Call me the breeze" and I was blown away. I became a fan that day.
Yea, i saw that on VH1 classic and it was a great show. Old school Skynyrd was the best. and garys and billys solos on that song are out of this world

ehamady6

Reaction score
Great player. Even a Norwegian black metal fan like me likes all of his stuff.

axslinger

Reaction score
Speaking of strength, don't forget the 13 gauge strings!

Gary really sold himself short though as far as post-Skynyrd goes. He has so much talent which has just been rotting away in the tribute band. I cant help but think of what he could have been if he had put his damn mind to it and gotten out of there a long time ago.

I would post some pics but I'm on dial-up atm.

Edit: and also on strength, From what I gather I think you'd have to be a pretty tough guy to put up with Dale (his wife) all those years...
That's sort of my attitude. I was diggin' on Skynyrd at the tender age of 14. I was absolutely obsessed with them for many, many years. Saw em' 7 times, post-crash, got a GR guitar pick and Ean's autograph. Gary's always been my hero...and he's the ONLY guitar hero I've ever had. But he just wasted so much talent recycling the same stuff over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, the post-crash material rocked but they didn't play enough in their shows. Edge of Forever is probably my #2 of ALL Skynyrd stuff. Street Survivors would probably be number one. It's a tough call. Everything they did was awesome. Gary is that rare guitarist that can turn a simple lead line into something great. He's never been a speed demon but has such an ear for phrasing and simple, killer licks. It is going to be a sad, sad day when he leaves us...

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
That's sort of my attitude. I was diggin' on Skynyrd at the tender age of 14. I was absolutely obsessed with them for many, many years. Saw em' 7 times, post-crash, got a GR guitar pick and Ean's autograph. Gary's always been my hero...and he's the ONLY guitar hero I've ever had. But he just wasted so much talent recycling the same stuff over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, the post-crash material rocked but they didn't play enough in their shows. Edge of Forever is probably my #2 of ALL Skynyrd stuff. Street Survivors would probably be number one. It's a tough call. Everything they did was awesome. Gary is that rare guitarist that can turn a simple lead line into something great. He's never been a speed demon but has such an ear for phrasing and simple, killer licks. It is going to be a sad, sad day when he leaves us...
Im only 15 in this sad era of music. I try my best to listen to the good old school stuff but theres too much crap out in the music industry today. The new "rock" bands make me sick. Creed, alter bridge, hinder, nickleback??? that stuff sucks big time. I think theres no hope for old school metal or southern rock. Theres a band out now thats a mix of the 2 called D.O.W.N. good stuff

fleahead

Reaction score
I asked for and got their 1st and Street Survivors for Xmas. Just before the 1st album hit the stores in Chicago, a friend came up from FL from a concert he was working, with an 8 track of their 1st. My god we played that in his Lear 8 track floor console in his '63 mint green Dodge Phoenix (nicknamed the Led Sled) with the big home stereo speakers in the backseat... and went around turning people onto them like they were the messiah. Nobody had heard of them yet....

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used to listen to ”Pronounced” on 8 track in my buddies VW Bug when going to McDonald’s in High School.
Remember when the guitar solo was just about to start, the 8 track would click from track 3 to track 4, back to the beginning of the course right before the guitar solos. You had to listen to the build-up all over again.
Oh, 8 tracks they were great! Remember when you would hit railroad tracks or a big pothole the tape would jump all over the place!! Haha , good times!

Last edited:

Standard 64

Reaction score
Most people seem to obsessed with self-indulgent twats like Slash and Jimmy Page.

Gary was very similar to Kossoff in many ways, not least in his attitude of just getting on with his job without any of the heroics.
Gary who? Never heard of him.

Last edited:

Latest Threads