The man Gary Rossington

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Who here agrees with me that Gary Rossington from Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of THE best guitarist of all time and one of the strongest?(2 addictions, tragic car wreck, lost ALOT of his good friends, etc) hes still touring today and hes close to 60 years if not there and then some...... I have alot of respect for him. Let me know if you guys agree with me and post a pic of your les paul or SG for tribute. :)

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
Speaking of strength, don't forget the 13 gauge strings!

Gary really sold himself short though as far as post-Skynyrd goes. He has so much talent which has just been rotting away in the tribute band. I cant help but think of what he could have been if he had put his damn mind to it and gotten out of there a long time ago.

I would post some pics but I'm on dial-up atm.

Edit: and also on strength, From what I gather I think you'd have to be a pretty tough guy to put up with Dale (his wife) all those years...

i am wet

Reaction score
cool. i saw skynyrd last year right before billy dies. amazing concert man
Aw lucky, I'm just praying that Gary doesn't leave us before Wednesday, I was going to head out to New York some time before 2010 to go see Les, but, yea...

disom007

Reaction score
Yeah, it was great man, who would've thought at the time that it was going to be Billy's last show though.

disom007

Reaction score
But I have to agree, Gary has that great southern rock sound. But what I like best are their old blues songs. They dont play them live for some reason. Curtis lowe, Mr. Banker, Four Walls Of Raiford.

UncleTed

Reaction score
I never see Rosington getting alot of love on guitar forums. He sure as hell deserves it tho.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
But I have to agree, Gary has that great southern rock sound. But what I like best are their old blues songs. They dont play them live for some reason. Curtis lowe, Mr. Banker, Four Walls Of Raiford.
I like them too, I think Curtis Loew was only ever played live once sadly. Four Walls of Raiford actually is just Jeff Carlisi (from .38 Special, I think) on guitar.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
I never see Rosington getting alot of love on guitar forums. He sure as hell deserves it tho.
Most people seem to obsessed with self-indulgent twats like Slash and Jimmy Page.

Gary was very similar to Kossoff in many ways, not least in his attitude of just getting on with his job without any of the heroics.

WillieG

Reaction score
Most people seem to obsessed with self-indulgent twats like Slash and Jimmy Page.
Woho, you just practised blasphemy twice there man; mention Slash in the same sentence as the almighty Page AND calling the holy Zoso a self-indulgent twat!

I choose to ignore this clearly insane statement and give honours to Gary Rossington, a great influence and legendary guitarist. Love the man!

oldaxeman

Reaction score
Phenomenal musician and guitar player! Saw him live with Ronnie many times, even their last show in Greenville, SC in '77. Gary and Allen Collins together was the two most awesome guitarist, they just laid it down like it was supposed be done. I guess after Billy died he's the last of the original alive?

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Gary is/was great, but at least as great were Allen, Ed King and especially Steve Gaines, who was an absolute monster. RIP Allen and Steve. One of my favorite bands.

oldaxe -- I believe Artimus Pyle is still alive, and also Ed King?

oldaxeman

Reaction score
Yep you are correct. I guess i forgot about Ed and Artemus.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Yea but Gary's the last FOUNDING skynyrd member alive. It was him and billy, now just him. I agree about slash getting too much love but jimmy deserves it. Hes a good player.

Latest Threads