The Making of a Gibson Custom Guitar

Curious George

Reaction score
One point... in talking about painting, Mike McGuire is referenced, but more likely Mickey McGuire who is the head painter. Lot of great people there.

OBX351

Reaction score
Great to read the original post, and watch the vid, to see where my '57 VOS Junior came from:

But they screwed up on one thing, I believe. Being a left-handed guitar, they put the dot markers on the left-hand side of the fretboard, with none on the other side! Now when I got my 1970 SG Standard, it had position markers on both sides (i.e. they took a right-handed prepared neck for my lefty and put position markers on the other side as well).

I think that would have been the case in 1957 - that they would have simply taken a RH neck with RH position markers on. They have the Les Paul logo the wrong way around on mine, as you can see from the photo (which I believe would have been correct). However, I've never seen a '57 lefty LP Junior to compare mine with... :(
Looks like this lefty '12 1957 GT reissue has its dots on the right side. I'll ask my vintage guys if Gibby did this in the '50s. It would make sense that it would happen once in a while, my '63 SG Special is out of phase in the mid position. So was another '63 special that I used to own as well.

Attachments

Bigcat2017

Reaction score
Full HD quality video from Japanese media digimartnet:

Gibson Custom Factory Tour 2016

Last edited:

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Full HD quality video from Japanese media digimartnet:

Gibson Custom Factory Tour 2016【週刊ギブソンVol.93 特別編】
Took the "s" out of the "https" so that its easier to watch.

Here's a cool little video on the Custom Shop as well. I bet it smells fantastic at that place.

Jake Henry

Reaction score
Great thread. Does anyone know if any film of the factory in the 50's exists? I know there a great tape at Fender in 1957 but I've never seen anything like that from Gibson yet.

OBX351

Reaction score
I think there is one somewhere on youtube.

LesPaulAllTheWay

Reaction score
I'm brand spankin' new to this forum and I just wanted to thank the OP for posting these photos and the story behind them.

I just bought my first Gibson.
It's a Les Paul R8 VOS.
I literally just got it in my hands today.
It's every bit as good as you might imagine after seeing the pictures and reading the story.
I totally love this guitar.

Been playing guitar since the early 80's and never once owned a Gibson...anything, let alone a Les Paul.
Everything else, yeah sure. But never anything made by Gibson.
Let me tell you....I've been missing out.

Totally love this guitar and I'd like to add that I don't regret it one bit that I went with the custom shop.
This opinion comes after having played a lot of new Traditionals during the last three months.
I encourage anyone who can afford it or somehow justify the cost to add the other 2k and get the custom shop.

I got the R8 because I like a beefy neck, and all the reviews said the 58 is a little deeper than the 59.
Don't know anything about it since I never had a chance to play an R9 but for me it's a dream to play the R8.
The neck - for me - is exactly perfect!

Thanks again to the OP for posting this.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm brand spankin' new to this forum and I just wanted to thank the OP for posting these photos and the story behind them.

I just bought my first Gibson.
It's a Les Paul R8 VOS.
I literally just got it in my hands today.
It's every bit as good as you might imagine after seeing the pictures and reading the story.
I totally love this guitar.

Been playing guitar since the early 80's and never once owned a Gibson...anything, let alone a Les Paul.
Everything else, yeah sure. But never anything made by Gibson.
Let me tell you....I've been missing out.

Totally love this guitar and I'd like to add that I don't regret it one bit that I went with the custom shop.
This opinion comes after having played a lot of new Traditionals during the last three months.
I encourage anyone who can afford it or somehow justify the cost to add the other 2k and get the custom shop.

I got the R8 because I like a beefy neck, and all the reviews said the 58 is a little deeper than the 59.
Don't know anything about it since I never had a chance to play an R9 but for me it's a dream to play the R8.
The neck - for me - is exactly perfect!

Thanks again to the OP for posting this.

Welcome to the Forum....Pics or it didn't happen!

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ice Tea Plain Top ~ nice....

now we need a NGD threat with detailed pics.....we're addicted that way! ....take your time.....:cheers: