The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

79standard

Reaction score
So, in a nutshell, folks playing different instruments that wanted to play along with a different instrument had to figure out a way to make that happen....soooooo they found that if the two played the same 'NOTE NAME' they were not the SAME ACTUAL FREQUENCY..... Somebody figured out the 'interval difference' between two instruments...

Flute guy says to the trumpet guy, 'both of us playing a C ain't right so match this pitch.' trumpet guy starts and goes UP because his 'C' sounds lower than the flute. Soooooo, two half steps up it sounds the same sooooo, to play C music for flute, he had to play two half steps up to sound the same..... So he played a D. So he could take a flute part, play it a whole step (two half steps) up and they could play together...

When the guy built a trumpet and named the notes, he didn't have a reference flute to compare pitch....and was wrong... Hence, transpose up a whole step and Bob's your uncle....

YES!
Dr Edro P Sasquatch, Professor Emeritus of Knowledge Both Useful and Esoteric,
THANK YOU!
:thumbs:
Your previous explanation actually got me closer to understanding, as did my son's,
but this latest explanation broke the dam and I feel like ... freee.... ignorance is a drag,
and I feel like I've been freed,
because for folks like us, this tish is important.

Cheers, buddy! :cheers2:

79standard

Reaction score
I used to pick at a late bud (biiiiiig show level) for all of em tuning a half step down... He gave me the usual yaddayadda about string tension, fatter tone, and helping singer's range a touch.... I'd tell him 'Bullshit. I know you like to sit around the house nekkid playing 'Superstition' over and over all night.... ;)

That's an LOL, but I'm sorry your bud isn't around anymore.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad my redneck explanation helped you savvy out the transpose thing... A lot of 'poetic license' so to speak in my blathering but the concept is true... Kinda hard to say what was used for reference at times because of all the different instruments sometimes region specific and nobody knows when they ran into each other and had to make allowances to be able to play together.... Them folks what was there are all dead and gone.... So, absent of copious documentation by an witness to all of it everywhere with every instrument pairing up, my redneck explanation is probably as accurate and feasible as anybody else's...

Once they figured out what worked between two instruments, one could say 'Hey, if any of y'all playing trumpets made by that guy down on the corner want to play with somebody playing flute made by that other guy close to the river, trumpet guys play a whole step up and it'll be ok... That's how standards happen....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was ten I blew my dad’s old Boyscout bugle all around the neighborhood, ending with “taps,” at sunset.
Next day I thought I had the mumps My jaw felt so bad.

No wonder Dizzy Gillespie looked like that.

Momma got me a bugle with S&H Green Stamps when I was a kid.... Her and Daddy had words about that.... ;)

sliding tom

Reaction score
Once they figured out what worked between two instruments, one could say 'Hey, if any of y'all playing trumpets made by that guy down on the corner want to play with somebody playing flute made by that other guy close to the river, trumpet guys play a whole step up and it'll be ok... That's how standards happen....
Actually it wasn't that easy because pitches were not referenced to certain notes and their pitches but were all over the place like just a few cents away from each other...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it wasn't that easy because pitches were not referenced to certain notes and their pitches but were all over the place like just a few cents away from each other...
Yep... I didn't address that....just trying to get the idea of the 'why' instruments must transpose.... There was no store to go buy a tuner/pitchpipe or even a tuning fork.... 'Somebody' had to start pondering on how to tune em within a small range... Probably where they broke instruments in sections to be able to vary length.... I imagine first generation horns and such were one tube...

Interesting subject to ponder on...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy all.... Hope all have good weather, good health and good coffee....

Welp, already started my cipro antibiotic for tomorrow's event.... Get the prostate staplegun biopsy tomorrow after lunch.... A little nervous but the 3D MRI a couple weeks ago looked good so not really scared... Hopefully all will be ok and be good...until next time doc wants to do another.... :thumb:

79standard

Reaction score
Howdy all.... Hope all have good weather, good health and good coffee....

Welp, already started my cipro antibiotic for tomorrow's event.... Get the prostate staplegun biopsy tomorrow after lunch.... A little nervous but the 3D MRI a couple weeks ago looked good so not really scared... Hopefully all will be ok and be good...until next time doc wants to do another.... :thumb:

Blessed be, buddy!
You got this!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks buds!

Watching a bit of Dicky Betts Band on Circle channel.... 2003 show.... One of those he should have stayed at the house or they should have checked his drinks... Sad.... One of the best guitarists on the planet in his day and half of the dynamic duo of guitarists... Band is good and you could tell they could be tight as hell and rip it if DB wasn't up there killing tempo, wrong chords, bad bends, stumbling vocals, beyond sloppy.... Hate seeing that...

sliding tom

Reaction score
Thanks buds!

Watching a bit of Dicky Betts Band on Circle channel.... 2003 show.... One of those he should have stayed at the house or they should have checked his drinks... Sad.... One of the best guitarists on the planet in his day and half of the dynamic duo of guitarists... Band is good and you could tell they could be tight as hell and rip it if DB wasn't up there killing tempo, wrong chords, bad bends, stumbling vocals, beyond sloppy.... Hate seeing that...
Yes - it's sad to see and hear any of your guitar idols / heroes messing up just because they fell into the whiskey bottle or succumbed to some other "medication" that isn't compatible with playing music....

Melvin: sorry to tell you that we've had a great summer day with temperatures reaching 90° Far'n'Hide.

Latest Threads