The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

MelvinDale

Reaction score
Howdy! Hope all are well!

Been looking at different headphones for the past few days.... My lawdy mercy there are some mind boggling headphones out there....
Nominated for an Emmy too, the rat bastid... He should buy a new pair of cans and send me the old ones.... ;)

Never seen anything bad about anything BeyerD or Neumann, have used both their mics and love em.... Slate has a name for studio stuff too.... Damn.... Just when I think I've decided on one, something about the others pop in my head.... The Slate is cool with the freaking modeling of top control rooms, monitors, car systems, nightclub, and even other cans... Crazy.... But the Slates are still pre-order, ship sometime this fall... Damnit...

I may just roll dice but I'm afraid I'd cheat.... ;)
Never realized just how good cans could be till I went to a friends house who records solos for, well for whoever wants them. We sat down to work on his own project and was just doing hand-claps (I'm sure he deleted mine). I brought my 200.00 headphones and we swapped for one take - Good Gawd. o_O

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, was gonna say about the BeyerDynamics, I bought a couple of their low end dynamic vocal mics a couple years back on sale for the hell of it... Blows a LOT of mics out of the water... One of our singers, I had tried every mic in my trunk and none of em matched his voice. (Deeper, a touch raspier)... Bought the Beyers and stuck one in front of him with EQ flat and immediately wanted to toss my 57s, 58s, the AKGs, ATs, etc., in the damn river and buy a trunk of Beyers.. Other singer with similar voice type uses his own 58 (and not a real good one at that) for some damn reason, and will not sing through a different mic. He asks me if I can make his mic sound like the Beyer, I said "Yep. I'll stick one of my Beyers in front of you and you can throw that damn 58 out the window on the way home." He still sings through his 58... Go figure... ;)

Don't remember the model number but if we ever get back to playing regularly, I'm replacing my mics with Beyers and be done with it.... The eternal 58s (and 57s) ain't in the same league in my book.... Damndest mic I've heard for the money....

79standard

Reaction score
Oh, was gonna say about the BeyerDynamics, I bought a couple of their low end dynamic vocal mics a couple years back on sale for the hell of it... Blows a LOT of mics out of the water... One of our singers, I had tried every mic in my trunk and none of em matched his voice. (Deeper, a touch raspier)... Bought the Beyers and stuck one in front of him with EQ flat and immediately wanted to toss my 57s, 58s, the AKGs, ATs, etc., in the damn river and buy a trunk of Beyers.. Other singer with similar voice type uses his own 58 (and not a real good one at that) for some damn reason, and will not sing through a different mic. He asks me if I can make his mic sound like the Beyer, I said "Yep. I'll stick one of my Beyers in front of you and you can throw that damn 58 out the window on the way home." He still sings through his 58... Go figure... ;)

Don't remember the model number but if we ever get back to playing regularly, I'm replacing my mics with Beyers and be done with it.... The eternal 58s (and 57s) ain't in the same league in my book.... Damndest mic I've heard for the money....
Well, now you've got us all excited and wondering about the model number!:hyper:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That BeyerDynamic mic is the TG V30D.... I've seen a couple for under forty bucks! Damn good mic if they haven't changed. I bought mine when they first came out.... Gonna probably buy some more when we get back to playing... I love em live.... Like em much better than 57/58 mics.... Very underrated to me.... I look at Beyer like I do Yamaha.... They don't build no junk and whatever the price mark is, it is worth a good bit more in quality.... Fell in love with Beyer waaaaaay back doing technical theatre sound engineering... We had a case of Beyers for dynamics and a case Neumanns for condenser mics.... Beyers, you just didn't have to dick with em at the console. Plug it in with knobs flat and do your thing... I read one review, a guy said his was weak sounding... Bullshit... I've used em side by side with 57s, 58s, etc., and they were head and shoulders better.... I don't care they are made in PRC, they are damn good in my book...

MelvinDale

Reaction score
That BeyerDynamic mic is the TG V30D....

I'll have to dig mine out and see what model it is.
Perhaps even plug it in (HA!)
I've been using a Shure Beta 57 for the last 15 years or more. I might not recognize myself.
The rest of my band mates use 58's - I never liked them. Gave it away.
I do that a lot.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, 57/58s have never made me moist... Good general purpose mics but damn.... Some folks think they re the holy grail of mics when they're not.... I guess because folks grew up seeing their local idols using em, they wanted one because "they must be the best because so&so used em..."

-- They are good reliable general purpose mics. They work. --

Growing up around my older bro and all his fellow musicians, I learned to listen for myself and think for myself by my bro. Yeah, I got told I was full of shit a lot too.... I learned to figure it out for myself.... I learned Gib and Fender tweren't the only guitars in the world, Marshalls were loud ass Fenders and NOT magic, 4x12"s were relatively.cheap speakers under pressure and not in the same realm as JBL. EV, CV, C-G, jug amps don't sound any better with more knobs, Ringo didn't play on all those tracks, and loads of other cool stuff....

Soooo, I am prone to try out about anything and give it the benefit of the doubt. I will happily use what sounds good and not give a tinker's damn what name is on it...

I don't need or want a Klon or KTR.... I have an 80.00 Soul Food that does the same thing. My Digitech RP500, I programmed to do the same thing. You can take a damn Tube Screamer and do the same thing by leaving dirt down and cranking the output. A Klon "drives the preamp tubes a lot harder toward saturation/cutoff which stanks it up like bacon grease on a biscuit." Pretty much it... Not magic.... Countless pedals that do the same shit but folks will swoon seeing a real Klon.... Want a Klon? You can order a Klon clone kit for forty something bucks and put it together yourself. Looks just like the real one... or buy a real one for 4000 - 5000 bucks which is about the dumbest shit I've ever seen....

Another slider munky said he tried some import mics for the hell of it to see if they would be good trunk mics (I just work with one group of musicians and a local blues org, no other sound jobs anymore). He, on the other hand, does much bigger jobs... I think it was Samson brand mics or similar (DJ/disco common brands).... He said he put. a couple out on stands (look like 58s) and nobody has ever said a word so nobody noticed, they sounded as good as his trunk full of 58s, so he said he ordered a bunch of em to replace all his 58s... He got tired fo folks bashing his mics at shows, slinging em around and into stuff, etc.. He said those sounded great, looked great, and were cheap.

I'll use what I like regardless of brand and I don't 'settle' for shit... Bought an early run Meridian built Peavey Delta Blues 115 a year or so ago... A bud asked me why I didn't get like a F PR/DR/TR.... Well, because I wanted the Delta Blues 115 sound... Coulda bought a damn Marshall Silver Jube had I wanted. I like the Delta Blues better...and my tech has an old orig Marshall Silver Jube twin so I know how they sound..

Sorry for the seemingly 'almost rant', not intended to be. It is just I have far more opportunity to run across stuff that DOES make me tingle because I WILL play around with stuff regardless of brand names or origin...

Ain't no magic in none of the stuff we use....

Folks that think a Klon circuit aand such is double top secret evidently has never seen a DAW with plug-ins where you can click and you've just run yo shit through a freaking Eventide software clone or a $5K tube compressor software clone that you paid $29.99 for....

You think a Klon circuit would be difficult to copy? Hah! <insert funny Monty Python quote here>

;)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom's Super Sexy fat-butt Eastman turns me on.... Just plain killer... I've played an Eastman. They are the real deal...

I'd buy an Eastman fat body before I'd buy a Gib fatty. Why? It is simple.

Eastman - I would be buying the guitar.
Gibson - I would be buying the name mystique to an extent and they toss in the guitar.

My bud's Eastman is flawless.....and plays like sex.

sliding tom

Reaction score
Tell you what: my Eastman is absolutely flawless in materials and workmanship and the neck profile feels like a Gibson (and I've played a few). Payed about 1/4 of what a Gibson ES 175 would've cost me. Only thing I changed out recently were the pots. That was an investment of @ 25 bucks. People keep swapping pickups right from the start without ever spending some time with an instrument to see what it has to offer out of the box. Lemmings...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell you what: my Eastman is absolutely flawless in materials and workmanship and the neck profile feels like a Gibson (and I've played a few). Payed about 1/4 of what a Gibson ES 175 would've cost me. Only thing I changed out recently were the pots. That was an investment of @ 25 bucks. People keep swapping pickups right from the start without ever spending some time with an instrument to see what it has to offer out of the box. Lemmings...

amen to that!

79standard

Reaction score
That BeyerDynamic mic is the TG V30D.... I've seen a couple for under forty bucks! Damn good mic if they haven't changed. I bought mine when they first came out.... Gonna probably buy some more when we get back to playing... I love em live.... Like em much better than 57/58 mics.... Very underrated to me.... I look at Beyer like I do Yamaha.... They don't build no junk and whatever the price mark is, it is worth a good bit more in quality.... Fell in love with Beyer waaaaaay back doing technical theatre sound engineering... We had a case of Beyers for dynamics and a case Neumanns for condenser mics.... Beyers, you just didn't have to dick with em at the console. Plug it in with knobs flat and do your thing... I read one review, a guy said his was weak sounding... Bullshit... I've used em side by side with 57s, 58s, etc., and they were head and shoulders better.... I don't care they are made in PRC, they are damn good in my book...

Thanks for this, Ed!
:thumb:
...and HOWDY, everybody!
:wave:

Last day nursing my kid.
He still has a ton of healing to do, but Dad's apartment just isn't the same as your own place.
I get it.
So one of his good and faithful friends is coming to pick him up in a little bit.

Sure, I'll get to go places and do things now, but I'll miss being his host and hanging out with him.

I'll even miss getting things for him. (His body is all blowed up from the surgery and can't do much yet.)

He says he really likes my new apt and looks fwd to helping me with it when he gets his strength back.

I'm just glad as f*ck that I was able to get this place ship-shape enough to host him. (Not a minute to spare, either! Last week, when his pal drove him here, I was taking an armload of freshly collapsed moving crates to the recycling bin. :laugh2:)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy Tom!

Another gloomy weather day here it appears.... Well into a pot of Black Rifle coffee.... Yeah buddy!

Had to go into it as I finally depleted my stash of Mama Mocha's Alabama Snakes bourbon infused coffee.... Gotta get my son to go by the place and pick me up a sack of beans.... Restaurant he 'chef's' is one block and across RR tracks from Mama Mocha's... She's in the old RR warehouse area... There's a small brewery there too. Hell to the yeuh! Damn good beer.... I could drink their hefeweizen every day.... Perfect to drink with food... Murican Natty Light drinkers ain't gonna like it with the a bit darker and somewhat cloudy look in comparison to that horse piss Natty Light but any drinker of REAL beer would love it.... Son did a 'Chef Popup' there at the brewery with some of his food. Killer beer with food.

Beer over here, Tom, can be funny. You are so lucky there in beer country. Brew masters are the norm there....generations of expert brewers...

Over here, it is confusing. A brew master here could have been anything LAST WEEK...

This is beer over here to an extent. The so-called 'craft' beer bullshit is ridiculous... I could buy a metal building on concrete slab, order tanks and shit, order perishables, order a book on how to make shitty beer, and design the absolutely stupidest looking beer label with a beer name that only a hallucinating wino could come up with, and call it 'craft beer'.... And I would be a brewery.....and could sell the absolute worst excuse for beer every made....and folks would love it... I could sell logo tshirts, caps, foam can holders, etc... especially in a college town.... Dumbass college students go ape shit over stupid ass named beer brewed by somebody that was a cab driver last month...

I've seen folks that look at me odd when I'm having a pint of Guinness....and they are holding a can of some dub named whale piss beer.... Guinness is just to much for em... while they sip their whale piss beer... Taste buds and sense of smell evidently of a freaking rock....

It's kinda like having someone over, grill a bunch of brats, drop em in good beer, butter, and onions, to simmer for a while to absorb the flavors..... Hand em a brat on a roll that could easily sell for twenty bucks in a restaurant, they take a bite, and they look at it with a dumb look and say 'these taste just like mine but I don't grill em or do anything but boil mine in plain water for a few minutes....these taste the same as mine...' Oh my god....Taste buds of a rock...

God is great, beer is good, and people are stupid... :)

79standard

Reaction score
Howdy Tom!

Another gloomy weather day here it appears.... Well into a pot of Black Rifle coffee.... Yeah buddy!

Had to go into it as I finally depleted my stash of Mama Mocha's Alabama Snakes bourbon infused coffee.... Gotta get my son to go by the place and pick me up a sack of beans.... Restaurant he 'chef's' is one block and across RR tracks from Mama Mocha's... She's in the old RR warehouse area... There's a small brewery there too. Hell to the yeuh! Damn good beer.... I could drink their hefeweizen every day.... Perfect to drink with food... Murican Natty Light drinkers ain't gonna like it with the a bit darker and somewhat cloudy look in comparison to that horse piss Natty Light but any drinker of REAL beer would love it.... Son did a 'Chef Popup' there at the brewery with some of his food. Killer beer with food.

Beer over here, Tom, can be funny. You are so lucky there in beer country. Brew masters are the norm there....generations of expert brewers...

Over here, it is confusing. A brew master here could have been anything LAST WEEK...

This is beer over here to an extent. The so-called 'craft' beer bullshit is ridiculous... I could buy a metal building on concrete slab, order tanks and shit, order perishables, order a book on how to make shitty beer, and design the absolutely stupidest looking beer label with a beer name that only a hallucinating wino could come up with, and call it 'craft beer'.... And I would be a brewery.....and could sell the absolute worst excuse for beer every made....and folks would love it... I could sell logo tshirts, caps, foam can holders, etc... especially in a college town.... Dumbass college students go ape shit over stupid ass named beer brewed by somebody that was a cab driver last month...

I've seen folks that look at me odd when I'm having a pint of Guinness....and they are holding a can of some dub named whale piss beer.... Guinness is just to much for em... while they sip their whale piss beer... Taste buds and sense of smell evidently of a freaking rock....

It's kinda like having someone over, grill a bunch of brats, drop em in good beer, butter, and onions, to simmer for a while to absorb the flavors..... Hand em a brat on a roll that could easily sell for twenty bucks in a restaurant, they take a bite, and they look at it with a dumb look and say 'these taste just like mine but I don't grill em or do anything but boil mine in plain water for a few minutes....these taste the same as mine...' Oh my god....Taste buds of a rock...

God is great, beer is good, and people are stupid... :)

"God is great, beer is good, and people are stupid... :) "

:rofl:

Latest Threads