The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

MelvinDale

Reaction score
ehb - hope you see this . . . suppose I could have messaged you, but . . .
I may have missed your review, but you mentioned your partner was getting a Spark.
You may have posted on another thread, but I'm always interested in reading (not buying, well not right now anyway) about new gear.
My wife thinks I'm nuts when I get a new Vintage or Guitar Player - I head to the back for reviews.
So What up?

BBD

Reaction score
Not busting on anyone or being contrary, but I know my limitations and what they were at one time when I was practicing hundreds of rounds per week learning competitive shooting....
Could be we're slightly misunderstanding each other. I think you're thinking bullets not pellets? but Frank was talking about his tactical shotgun, hence the vague direction to 'aim low' :)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Melvin, it is one helluva nice amp. I have badass amps I don't ever even turn on, a couple on loan to a studio ( THEY have to babysit em in return for using them as needed), and I play through a little all tube 12" combo at home (Monoprice (the older Top knobbery 15W, Celestion, actually a Laney 12R in diff packaging)...... Zero need for a Spark....but I want one.... Sounds great....even put it on Bass and pulled a PJ off the store wall and plugged in... Dayum..... Sporty amp, great DDL & Rev, Nails some Marshall tones.... Clean or a bit crunchy, hell yeah.... Those DAW plug-in folks nailed it with that amp... The bluetooth control stuff is cool along with play along and the damn app shows you the chord blocks... I think his was like 270.00 pre-order... Yep, just may get one down the road....

If I didn't have that blonde Monoprice/Laney 12R, I would have already bought one... That little tube combo just sounds so damn good or I would have already jumped...

The effects really got me... We had it on a bench we've got our 3D printer on, and on the stool, it was about two feet in front of my breastbone. I heard stuff past 90° on either side of me..... 2 x 4 1/2 speakers I think.... I was blown away when I heard that.... Killer....

My partner called up bass patches while I was playing on the bass setting and I was gassed at how those little speakers sounded.... I didn't have it loud because it was in the shop but the tone was super....The SVT patch made me moist.... Love that amp...

There are a bunch of vids out there that gives you an idea. You have to listen to multiple vids though because one may highlight rock, another different.... The one vid with the guy playing a dark gray? Skrat like with backwards head hits some real nice toward end of vid.... I just wish they would put a dual XLR DI in the back.... If I was still gigging guitar, with a stereo DI, I would sit that thing on a stool (with Velcro so no slidey off) and dare anybody to say anything...and drive it with an iPad if they have iOS app....

Ed

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be we're slightly misunderstanding each other. I think you're thinking bullets not pellets? but Frank was talking about his tactical shotgun, hence the vague direction to 'aim low' :)
With pellets at close range, they are cooking and can take a limb off because for a very short distance it is like a baseball after just a few feet then the plastic cup slips off. Pellets are gonna go all over the place after they hit hard ground....

My late bro some decades back was gonna shoot his barn door to see the pattern.... Told him he needed to back the hell up....Nawt... 12ga with bird shot blew a fist size hole through his barn door..... I couldn't help but laugh.... Buckshot would have been far worse as you are throwing out a cup of big ball bearings....probably would have blown holes in the back wall of his barn....

1594420500471.png

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Yep. It'll do some damage no matter what. That's why the birdshot is first, in the chamber and magazine. Fewer pellets and smaller. But still no fun to get hit with from a distance and like you say, closeup could kill you. That's why I ordered the rubber slugs. I'm not a great shot, hence the shotgun and birdshot. Since it spreads a little you have more room for error. I didn't want a handgun. Besides I didn't want to spend much of his money. And anyway shotguns are pretty intimidating.
It's a Savage 320 which I think is a copy of a classic Winchester. I've read some avow you can swap parts with the Winchester (1200 maybe?) but I'm skeptical. Black powder finish. Synthetic stock with a pistol grip which some don't like, but I do. Nothing fancy, Just a durable Chinese knockoff which gets good reviews. I looked for awhile and watched a bunch of Voutoobz. Dirt cheap. I don't ever PLAN on using it. I've just used it enough to familiarize myself with it. And will periodically just to stay comfortable with it. Didn't really want one but my son insisted. I think one of my daughters, her boyfriend (Iraq vet) and my son kinda ganged up on me. They think the old man might get hisself in trouble.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Far as the Spark, like I said I use many Bias apps. I know the ads say it uses their modeling so I assume the sound engine is the same as I use. And I know that the Spark has some "smart" features but I really haven't paid that much attention to it. The superior aspect of the amp I'm guessing is in the lack of latency due to dedicated hardware. I don't really notice any on an IPad but you *can* bog it down doing too many things at once. Just using it as an amp modeler, no problem. So I split the duties between 3 ipads and then I have other hardware amps, pedals, racks etc.

i like Bias Amp, Bias EFX, Bias Pedal, Jamup and Final Touch a LOT. And have been using them for several years. They do require in-ap purchases in order to get all pedals and amps. They're cheap enough. And the aps themselves are not costly if you want to just see if they suit you until you spring for a Spark. Same company. Same modeling.

Bias EFX allows two separate signal chains. Two different amps, effects etc. Bias Pedal allows you to model Dist/Od, Modulators and Reverb/Delays from scratch from discrete modeled components like transistors, tubes, tapes, power supply type, etc...on a modular level. To invent your own. Bias Amp does the same with amplifiers.

If you have an ipad and are looking for pro level effects with a very different application, Adrien Belew's Flux EFX is great sounding. GREAT sounding. With the very odd addition of a sequencer that allows you to record touchpad changes to each effect and then playbthem back while processing your guitar, drum machine or recorded material. You can get pretty weird with it, or just enjoy the lush tonez. But it's kind of a processor hog. But worth it if you're just using it as a dedicated effects unit.

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

If you have an ipad and are looking for pro level effects with a very different application, Adrien Belew's Flux EFX is great sounding. GREAT sounding.

my tablet is Android based . EFX is iPad only . I know that the price of the Apple tablets has dropped over the years / more and more people seem to be using them now . I wonder about the speed on the lower end models

I've seen enough different ( pay for ) applications for the iPad that seem interesting . will they even run the same way on the slower processors ? . not sure that I'm ready to get sucked into the iUniverse just yet

MelvinDale

Reaction score
Melvin, it is one helluva nice amp.

Ed
Awesome - thanks for the review. I surely take a look at some of the video's on YouTube,
Not that I'm not very pleased with all my amps, well there a couple I could burn in my firepit, but I have a nasty habit of buying the first release of anything that intrigues me, only to find a year or so later they've made vast improvements.
Point in case: I heve a Volto, which I like a lot, but they're already making Volto III with improvements or first year Variax - the story goes on and on . . .

Good morning all.

MelvinDale

Reaction score
If you have an ipad and are looking for pro level effects with a very different application, Adrien Belew's Flux EFX
. You can get pretty weird with it,
If it's Adrien Belew anything, it's bound to be weird - got a chance to see him solo as well as with King Crimson and came away asking - Why do play guitar? He's great fun to see in a live setting.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome - thanks for the review. I surely take a look at some of the video's on YouTube,
Not that I'm not very pleased with all my amps, well there a couple I could burn in my firepit, but I have a nasty habit of buying the first release of anything that intrigues me, only to find a year or so later they've made vast improvements.
Point in case: I heve a Volto, which I like a lot, but they're already making Volto III with improvements or first year Variax - the story goes on and on . . .

Good morning all.

I've also still got a mint old version Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 modeling amp with the big ass Sanpera stomp board with it.

Sounds great...just louder'n two hells. Great amp...just can't bring myself to sell it.

That Spark amp smokes it.... Still can't sell it though....

Sooner or later I'll have to buy a Spark. Sold one my personal guitars at the shop yesterday afternoon and tried to buy partner's Spark... Nawt. ;)

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Get the Bias ap for your iPad and use your Line 6 Mobile In. It'll be pretty close. The analog/digital conversion is very good.
Also, Peavey Ampkit is free and sounds very good with no latency. Better than Bias in a few cases. Their Valveking model is included with a couple of efx free and is pretty good. The rest you buy at 3-4 bucks apiece, or in bundles for pretty cheap.
The Mobile In isn't a very firm connection so I bought a 3' extender cable and have no problems. Bought a second Mobile In (thanks for the first one btw!) and with the iStudio dock can run all three simultaneously if I want but things kind of get out of hand after that. :laugh2:

@ Christopher. I run all aps on iPads 2 and 3. No issues as long as I clean my cache out before each session. The 3 is better as it has a Retina display (camera wise) a dedicated graphics processor and a marginally faster processor. Twice the ram helps. Stalked Ebay and got the 3 for $65 bucks in pristine condition. Aps vary but are generally less than $50.. Some free. The Belew Flux EFX was $15 for instance. Can't beat that with a rhythm stick.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
If it's Adrien Belew anything, it's bound to be weird - got a chance to see him solo as well as with King Crimson and came away asking - Why do play guitar? He's great fun to see in a live setting.
It's a weird animal sure enough. The sequencer is basically like recording MIDI CC data into a sequence, which I've done for years from a Roland G-707. But you use a large x-y touch screen to input. You couod mount an Iphone on your guitar and have a wild touch controller. If I played live, that's what I would do.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get the Bias ap for your iPad and use your Line 6 Mobile In. It'll be pretty close. The analog/digital conversion is very good.
Also, Peavey Ampkit is free and sounds very good with no latency. Better than Bias in a few cases. Their Valveking model is included with a couple of efx free and is pretty good. The rest you buy at 3-4 bucks apiece, or in bundles for pretty cheap.
The Mobile In isn't a very firm connection so I bought a 3' extender cable and have no problems. Bought a second Mobile In (thanks for the first one btw!) and with the iStudio dock can run all three simultaneously if I want but things kind of get out of hand after that. :laugh2:

@ Christopher. I run all aps on iPads 2 and 3. No issues as long as I clean my cache out before each session. The 3 is better as it has a Retina display (camera wise) a dedicated graphics processor and a marginally faster processor. Twice the ram helps. Stalked Ebay and got the 3 for $65 bucks in pristine condition. Aps vary but are generally less than $50.. Some free. The Belew Flux EFX was $15 for instance. Can't beat that with a rhythm stick.

I'll have to give that a shot...

I have that 5-way whatever adapter for my new iPad and ordered a short extender for it.... Apple could have added a couple of different ports to make things easier.....but then again, Apple...

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
around $300 for an OS specific tablet is doable . I was just wondering if I was looking at $900+ for a processor that handles audio related apps . I'll take a look around for a 3

Guitar -> cable - > amp and play some f*****g music I say!!!!!! :laugh2:
so far my neighbors haven't been complaining about the noise level . this year was the first time that I pushed my tube amp past 5 . I have a ton of effects ( 18 ) that I'm trying to organize on a pedalboard __ and I'm quickly starting to realize

that straight into a loud amp is my favorite effect

79standard

Reaction score
My friend and former student cartoonist Tony Moore (Walking Dead, Marvel, Image, DC etc) directed this just released Tyler Childers animated music video. Enjoy!

That was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen and heard in a very long time.

Seeing animation with a claymation feel, coupled with country music, reminds me of how one of claymation's pioneers was Sneaky Pete Kleinow of the Flying Burrito Brothers, but we digress -- this is excellent animation, here. I love it!

Bonus points for the goat. Baaa!

And I dig the song, too.
I've always been a fan of that "one banana two banana" sh*tkicking rhythm.

...and HELLO!
Having maple syrup and half-n-half in my dark roast joe and loving it.
Prost!

Any

Latest Threads