The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Latest we keep hearing is that social distancing is 'under constant review' which means the hospitality industry and the Tory right are getting ever-closer to scrapping it so the music of the tills can resume.
That same weighted decision process has taken place here in Texas. As a result, we're seeing a jump in the numbers of new cases ... and we're still not fully opened. I'm getting ready for a rough ride, myself.

With my mom on immunosuppressants for her RA, and her husband having COPD, diabetes, and recovering from brain surgery to address a stroke and remove a tumor, I have no right to play fast-and-loose. I wish other people would consider folks dealing with that sort of stuff when out and about. Many don't seem to.

BBD

Reaction score
Keep safe, Dom....
Thanks Ed, and same to you.

I wish other people would consider folks dealing with that sort of stuff when out and about. Many don't seem to.
Sadly, they do not. But you are aware and doing the right thing and that is all you or any of us can do at the moment.

BBD

Reaction score
Well, I turned 55 today.

Not exactly the funnest birthday evah, but I'm still drawing breath so it's a win.

To celebrate, I spent a solid hour vacuuming the house this morning :laugh2:

Heidi's working, the little lad is working (not that he knows how to operate a hoover, oh no) so I really didn't mind and the place is a pit again.

Going round to see my mate Brian the luthier on Sunday afternoon for a (socially distanced) triple birthday celebration: mine is today, his wife is tomorrow and his is on Monday... :D It will be a good blast unless the weather is truly shite. I'm looking forward to his promised 'seven ciders in' dulcimer demo. That will be something to see. Apparently I will have to play Eruption on the kazoo afterwards :laugh2:. So long as it's not a phucking uke...

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
<groping blindly for coffee>

Well, I turned 55 today.

Not exactly the funnest birthday evah, but I'm still drawing breath so it's a win.

Heidi's working, the little lad is working (not that he knows how to operate a hoover, oh no) so I really didn't mind and the place is a pit again.

Going round to see my mate Brian the luthier on Sunday afternoon for a (socially distanced) triple birthday celebration: mine is today, his wife is tomorrow and his is on Monday... :D It will be a good blast unless the weather is truly shite. I'm looking forward to his promised 'seven ciders in' dulcimer demo. That will be something to see. Apparently I will have to play Eruption on the kazoo afterwards :laugh2:. So long as it's not a phucking uke...
Many happy returns for all three of you.

sliding tom

Reaction score
Well, I turned 55 today.

Happy Birhday, to you Dom and to your friends as well - hope you'll have a blast! :thumb:

:applause:

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Went to Henry's last night and we actually played. Discovered trying to sing through my mask was extra exhausting.

Happy birthday Dom. I hope there are many more for you and your friends,

Haven't seen any real damage from the blow the other day and WFs saying hot and increasingly humid for the next week.

Was startled to see the covid stats for your district. My county has a population of about 175k.
We have had 407 confirmed cases and 8 fatalities. Here is to our governor.

Have heard it suggested that the authorities be padding the numbers. Amazing what some people will believe. Death certificates are legal documents and the idea that medical practitioners would falsify such is laughable. Of course truth matters not to the peddlers of disinformation, and they have a ready audience of ignorant folk that will slurp it up.

Hope all stay safe and Ma smiles on us all.

BBD

Reaction score
Winchester is a wealthy city. There are pockets of deprivation, of course but you are more likely to get hit by a high-end Beemer than a bullet on these streets. Relatively affluent people share various behaviours, notable among which is incessant flying. It seems that CV came into the UK predominantly via air travel (people returning from skiing holidays in particular). The primary sources of infected travellers were, in order, Spain, France and Italy. I suspect the rather high infection and consequent mortality here is a direct consequence of the numbers of people who caught the disease while visiting Europe in February and March.

BBD

Reaction score
Thank you all for the birthday wishes :cheers2:

next week you can be nostalgic / cry a little . and then re-evaluate your life's purpose . 55 is young . kind of
Right now my life's purpose is to stay alive for another year despite our lunatic public health 'policy' :confused:

As for nostalgia, well in some ways I wouldn't mind being 35 again, but then I'd have to go through another 15 years of heavy lifting to get the work monkey off my back and the mortgage mostly paid. The thought of going through that again is enough to re-set the gold-tinted view of the past: I was actually quite a worried man back then, really. Mind you, I have no idea how bad a hit I will eventually take financially because of the plague. It looks awful and I could be back to square one again in a couple of years' time and I don't have the strength to do it all over again. :confused:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Thank you all for the birthday wishes :cheers2:

Right now my life's purpose is to stay alive for another year despite our lunatic public health 'policy' :confused:

As for nostalgia, well in some ways I wouldn't mind being 35 again, but then I'd have to go through another 15 years of heavy lifting to get the work monkey off my back and the mortgage mostly paid. The thought of going through that again is enough to re-set the gold-tinted view of the past: I was actually quite a worried man back then, really. Mind you, I have no idea how bad a hit I will eventually take financially because of the plague. It looks awful and I could be back to square one again in a couple of years' time and I don't have the strength to do it all over again. :confused:
seems like a lot of people are going to be looking at a hard financial hit from this crisis . most people don't prepare for the " what ifs " in life . ( we did . but only because I didn't expect my mind to be intact past the age of 50 . that's an entirely different subject though )

as the restrictions are starting to lift in many parts of The States __ so are all of the rent and mortgage forgiveness programs . some people won't have jobs to go back to . schooling has been disrupted . it's a giant mess

then there's the number of cases rising in places that have re-opened . it's hard to determine if this is a second wave , or just a continuation of the first one . with everything going on , I still have hope that people will pull through it all __ but it's going to be a bumpy ride for most

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
HBD, Dom!

I'll be 63 in twelve days... So far I don't feel a day older than maybe 87.... ;)

Nah... other than all the snap, crackle, and pop, when I roll out of the rack in the morning, I'm cool with it.....

All the sound effects I guess are to remind me of all my stupid human tricks of my rather bizarre youth.....

Beats dirt sammich though....

Have a great BDay!

Ed

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am quite fond of those stick on pain patches half the size of a license plate... I have some remote pain from nerve damage in my unfortunate neck dance a couple decades back....Just had one area repaired, other was not at such level at time but I had severe nerve damage for years (lost ability to play for years and I was a multi instr-ist: wind/brass/gtr fam/ degreed percussionist) and couldn't play a radio for several years.... Couldn't feel keys/strings/etc. and no real control. Tweren't supposed to heal but after several years of exclusive sound gigs ( I could play the hell out of mixer, started with a soundco at 15), nerves started healing... Still not back to 100% but I'm headed that way... Played lat perc in a band for three or four years, I could do congas/etc.. Bought some cymbals and a bunch other aux perc stuff with stands and such... Blues band so I could have more fun than I could stand playing what was called for in tune and no more than that. On some slow blues, I would pull out my Firth sticks and play ride and maybe a block and forced myself to play everything left hand lead instead of usual right hand lead (I'm RH)... After several months of rehearsals and gigs, the perc control was back and then some... gtr/keys still not at 100%, but one day.... Rest of the guys would watch me confused and I would switch back and forth playing LH and RH..... It worked. Made my brain speed up relearning to refire them neurons...

Still have remote nerve pains that I oddly didn't have much of (outside my neck) until the nerves started healing and reconnecting.... I get the nerve burn to varying degrees but can live with it. It is the hand I was dealt so I play it.... Just is....

I'll say that being able to play again, even with chronic nerve pains in diff places, sometimes nailing me to my recliner, is far better than not being able to feel neck, strings, pick, coffee cup, sammich, etc. A win for me.... Ain't nuttin free... ;)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not fun to have a room full of mus instrs/equip of all kinds and not be able to do anything with em... Didn't even go into that room other than to reset a DSL modem for several years.... Didn't want to see all those cases....