The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

cmh6122

Reaction score
Some of the first songs I learned on guitar were from a songbook covering their stuff, much of it on this album, the only one I've owned from them. "The Boxer", "Sounds of Silence" ... these songs taught me to apply my fingerpicking to songs that were actually good, and also taught me a lot about songwriting.

And even the songs I never learned from them move me so much. <singing quietly> I've come to look for America ...

My mom introduced me to them, the Beatles, and Bach. That by far forgives the Carpenters and Neil Diamond she shoveled at us.

I've been around enough to know how that happens sometimes, brotha, no worries.

It started pissing down right as the chicken was finishing, ended up grilling the bell peppers and onions a little too. Good lord but what it's hitting the spot. There's nothing in the world like fresh basil for me, as a flavor.

Most weather has passed, but we had strikes within a mile and lots of welcome water.
God I cannot hear that without swelling with pride at what I believe we stand for. Hard to think even now that what we stand for could be stated so succinctly. Is a tune that makes the humping seem a little thing.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
God I cannot hear that without swelling with pride at what I believe we stand for. Hard to think even now that what we stand for could be stated so succinctly. Is a tune that makes the humping seem a little thing.
Simon is a truly gifted lyricist. He had mad skills for capturing moments, clear as photographs.

cmh6122

Reaction score
Gotta post that.

And had to listen again. Recommended reading; Tim Obrien's 'The things they Carried'.

We be special. Not for what the pinheads think but because somewhere the hopes of everyone else got mixed up with ours and our sons and daughters have sanctified that concept too many times to ignore.

Post the quote " Good luck. God bless you. I'll see you in the assembly area." again and again here. Is from the series "Band of Brothers" as Lt Winters is helping his stick up and into their plane, Was as powerful a performance as I ever have seen.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Well, yesterday's stain was too dark to sand back much, and it seemed like my every stroke of sandpaper was putting more scratches in it, so I think I'll have to settle for "complimentary" rather than "matching."

My son likes it; he says it looks "rustic" ... not exactly what I was going for, but once I wet-sand a few gloss-coats it'll be better.

It's still a learning process, for me. Hmph.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
As wildflower season rolls along through a beautiful Texas spring, the bluebonnets have wilted and shed, replaced by others in waves ...

A meadow carpeted in Indian paintbrush in front of a branch of Big's Bend Creek:

Daisies, ox-eyes, and prairie verbena here:

Indian blanket, ox-eyes, and a couple of winecups:

...and buttercups dominating a roadside, with some Queen Anne's lace and a couple more indian blankets in the mix as well:

79standard

Reaction score
Some of the first songs I learned on guitar were from a songbook covering their stuff, much of it on this album, the only one I've owned from them. "The Boxer", "Sounds of Silence" ... these songs taught me to apply my fingerpicking to songs that were actually good, and also taught me a lot about songwriting.

And even the songs I never learned from them move me so much. <singing quietly> I've come to look for America ...

My mom introduced me to them, the Beatles, and Bach. That by far forgives the Carpenters and Neil Diamond she shoveled at us.

I've been around enough to know how that happens sometimes, brotha, no worries.

It started pissing down right as the chicken was finishing, ended up grilling the bell peppers and onions a little too. Good lord but what it's hitting the spot. There's nothing in the world like fresh basil for me, as a flavor.

Most weather has passed, but we had strikes within a mile and lots of welcome water.
I had that same book and learned a lot from it, but sadly both the book and the album went missing years ago. In spite of having played for 40 years this month, I still find Me and Julio daunting for its rapid chord changes.

And I must confess to a great fondness for maybe a dozen Diamond songs, his songs of modal gravitas,
like Holly Holy, Solitary Man, etc.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How're y'all weathering things, Ebby? I'm pretty sure we sent some ugly stuff your way. Y'all okay?
The last couple of splotches went past us for the most part... Just some intermittent rain.... Thankfully...

Insurance company's premier group contractor (whatever the hell that is) called this am and said insurance on my lake house has been approved so hopefully that'll be taken care of... Need a new roof and I think I'll toss extra to go steel.... A bunch of ceiling and wall work needs to be done too.... Ceiling sections in two rooms fell in and cracks in other areas too.... Hopefully it won't cost me a ton... Insurance is supposed to cover everything past the deductible so I think I'll come out ok... Just a hassle....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last REAL bad storm from hell a few weeks back dicked my lake house.... May have seen on the news then about big homes in a golf course on the border with GA plowed up by a tornado... Not my neighborhood but I could possibly drop a .30-06 round over there from mine just a bit north across the creek....

79standard

Reaction score
Gotta post that.

Regarding "America,"
As a baritone, I hesitate to admit that I enjoy singing Garfunkel's airy high part on the outro.
(I often get a raft of sh*t for singing high: "you're not singing badly, but it's really disconcerting to hear high sounds come from a big guy." Did Garfunkel have to put up with that tish? :laugh2:)

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
The last couple of splotches went past us for the most part... Just some intermittent rain.... Thankfully...

Insurance company's premier group contractor (whatever the hell that is) called this am and said insurance on my lake house has been approved so hopefully that'll be taken care of... Need a new roof and I think I'll toss extra to go steel.... A bunch of ceiling and wall work needs to be done too.... Ceiling sections in two rooms fell in and cracks in other areas too.... Hopefully it won't cost me a ton... Insurance is supposed to cover everything past the deductible so I think I'll come out ok... Just a hassle....
Sounds like a hassle, yes, but I think when it's all done you'll be glad of it.

79standard

Reaction score
The last REAL bad storm from hell a few weeks back dicked my lake house.... May have seen on the news then about big homes in a golf course on the border with GA plowed up by a tornado... Not my neighborhood but I could possibly drop a .30-06 round over there from mine just a bit north across the creek....
So, maybe 3 miles?

BBD

Reaction score
Great wildflower pics Thump. Thank you.

Well, yesterday's stain was too dark to sand back much, and it seemed like my every stroke of sandpaper was putting more scratches in it
I'm a bit puzzled by this. Do you mean that you used a tinted varnish rather than a wood stain? With a wood stain, you can work the surface back and the stain is removed. Assuming you use progressively finer grades of abrasive then scratching wouldn't be a problem :dunno:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim, about maybe two mi or so as the crow flies. It was a badass tornado. Our little lake community got some damage and trees blown around from the side edge winds. Had it centered our hill, it would have obliterated probably most of the neighborhood as the vast majority are manufactured homes.

We were lucky.

MelvinDale

Reaction score
Only got into the high eighties today but it's fuggin' humid.

I'm postponing yard work and gumbo experimentation until after the heat is forecast to break Sat eve.
We went from snow two weeks ago (not a lot, but. . ) to the last three days were high 80's, low 90's and thick!
Localized flooding with all the rain. Plus we got the extra fun of a ton of mosquitoes!
So what's in store for this weekend - Frost Warning . . . Life is grand.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Great wildflower pics Thump. Thank you.

I'm a bit puzzled by this. Do you mean that you used a tinted varnish rather than a wood stain? With a wood stain, you can work the surface back and the stain is removed. Assuming you use progressively finer grades of abrasive then scratching wouldn't be a problem :dunno:
It's white pine. The stain, and that's what I used, gets a lot of penetration. Sanding it back to natural and keeping flat surfaces might be a trick outside my skillset, lol.

I know about fining out my sanding, I just don't want to be adding even more work.

Last edited:

Latest Threads