The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Today is not recognize those who served but those who gave that final measure..... is a long way between the two.
You're goddamned straight. Or as Capt Miller said at the end of Saving Private Ryan, "Earn this." We owe it to the fallen to carry forward our experiment in democracy. Anything less is spitting on their graves.

79standard

Reaction score
Tommo, I remember hearing of a Bayerisch nonsensical skiing song that roughly translates into "sh*t in the cake box changes the taste quite a bit,"
with the folderol chorus being something like "hey lahdee lahdee oh!"

This vague recollection has brought me decades of joy.

Have you ever heard of such a song?

sliding tom

Reaction score
Tommo, I remember hearing of a Bayerisch nonsensical skiing song that roughly translates into "sh*t in the cake box changes the taste quite a bit,"
with the folderol chorus being something like "hey lahdee lahdee oh!"

This vague recollection has brought me decades of joy.

Have you ever heard of such a song?

Oh absolutely! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lots of verses to that one! :laugh2:

It's not specifically bavarian though and not a skiing song.

There's also a cleaner version around where "pudding" is substituted for "sh*t" which I teach to underage guitar students so not to get in trouble with their parents ... :thumb:

Good Morning folkses. :wave:

79standard

Reaction score
Oh absolutely! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lots of verses to that one! :laugh2:

It's not specifically bavarian though and not a skiing song.

There's also a cleaner version around where "pudding" is substituted for "sh*t" which I teach to underage guitar students so not to get in trouble with their parents ... :thumb:

Good Morning folkses. :wave:
You have made my week with this welcome knowledge!
What is the name of this mighty song, mein herr?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Basic sanding is done, first layer of stain which will be sanded back a bit to lighten it to match my speaker cab. Imperfections abound, but I'm happy all the same with it. I used the wrong stain, a tad darker than what I wanted, but sanding back will allow me to address further flaws too.

Boomers side-skipping my neck of the woods, but the sky's a-rumbly. I'll be grilling chicken for Greek flatbread sandwiches for dinner, with cucumber, tomato, onion, feta cheese, fresh basil, olives, and tzatziki, for supper.

Great start to my weekend after a difficult week.

79standard

Reaction score
Basic sanding is done, first layer of stain which will be sanded back a bit to lighten it to match my speaker cab. Imperfections abound, but I'm happy all the same with it. I used the wrong stain, a tad darker than what I wanted, but sanding back will allow me to address further flaws too.

Boomers side-skipping my neck of the woods, but the sky's a-rumbly. I'll be grilling chicken for Greek flatbread sandwiches for dinner, with cucumber, tomato, onion, feta cheese, fresh basil, olives, and tzatziki, for supper.

Great start to my weekend after a difficult week.

That album is godlike.
That'll undo whatever evils occurred during your day, yes!

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
That album is godlike.
That'll undo whatever evils occurred during your day, yes!
I grew up listening to it; I cried my eyes out listening to that song the day we buried my father. It is indeed a tonic.And on days like today, not so dire, it still reminds me, that song in particular, that looking forward is at least as important as looking back.

Good, bad, or indifferent, it's good to be alive -- especially on a day like today. Gratitude is sometimes hard to find, but welcome when it happens.

79standard

Reaction score
I was invited to join an FB gardening group, in spite of my black thumb and lack of a yard, because its members know me and they are all sely.

They were singing the praises of fertilizer, so I said unto them this blessing:

"May each of you noble garden-people receive a steaming meteor of bovine joy! "

I hope it has desired effect of increasing their crop yield.

:fingersx:

79standard

Reaction score
I grew up listening to it; I cried my eyes out listening to that song the day we buried my father. It is indeed a tonic.And on days like today, not so dire, it still reminds me, that song in particular, that looking forward is at least as important as looking back.

Good, bad, or indifferent, it's good to be alive -- especially on a day like today. Gratitude is sometimes hard to find, but welcome when it happens.
I could see that being very powerful music for both good times and bad.
"For Emily" just destroys me in the best possible way.
I can do a fair-middlin' Art Garfunkel and I really enjoy trying to channel him on great tunes like that.
Some of their best tunes were the ones Paul wrote for Art.
"When the singer's gone, let the song go on"...
(something in my eye, dammit...)

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Watched the last episode of Ken Burn's 'Vietnam' yesterday and they started the end with 'A Bridge over Troubled Water'. Was an album of its' time for certain, and one I listened to again and again.

Hey Tom, just watched DW News on PBS. Wish we had leadership here that compared with Dr. Merkel.

Hope you're okay Ed. As long as you don't need an ICU bed in Montgomery suspect you'll be fine.

Took 4 years of combat to kill 440k U. S. service folk. Has taken Covid-19 three months to take out 100k. Too bad is all fake news and blowhards have shouted down reason.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I could see that being very powerful music for both good times and bad.
"For Emily" just destroys me in the best possible way.
I can do a fair-middlin' Art Garfunkel and I really enjoy trying to channel him on great tunes like that.
Some of their best tunes were the ones Paul wrote for Art.
"When the singer's gone, let the song go on"...
(something in my eye, dammit...)
Some of the first songs I learned on guitar were from a songbook covering their stuff, much of it on this album, the only one I've owned from them. "The Boxer", "Sounds of Silence" ... these songs taught me to apply my fingerpicking to songs that were actually good, and also taught me a lot about songwriting.

And even the songs I never learned from them move me so much. <singing quietly> I've come to look for America ...

My mom introduced me to them, the Beatles, and Bach. That by far forgives the Carpenters and Neil Diamond she shoveled at us.

BTW, D, I didn't mean to locate a deliberately silly post immediately after your wonderful and emotional post.
I've been around enough to know how that happens sometimes, brotha, no worries.

It started pissing down right as the chicken was finishing, ended up grilling the bell peppers and onions a little too. Good lord but what it's hitting the spot. There's nothing in the world like fresh basil for me, as a flavor.

Most weather has passed, but we had strikes within a mile and lots of welcome water.

Last edited:

Latest Threads