The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I think that a 490T would work perfectly well as a Stratocaster's bridge pup! :thumb:

I was sitting here thinking about the whole matter, when yet another reason why I haven't either swapped or modded my current Strat to get that bucker-in-the-bridge thing going...

It's because I'm such a sucker for the neck pup tone of an unpinned Stratocaster! Honestly: while playing that particular instrument, I'm on the neck pup a good 90% of the time, though I also switch out to the second or third position to take advantage of the other pickups... :hmm:

But I always end up right where I started-- on the neck pickup only. :shock:

There's something so... I dunno, what would be a good word? Endearing? About that slightly quavering voice of a Stratocaster in that position... especially while running it through my HRD 410 amp with a lot of reverb...

Something priceless about that sound. Some people seem to hate it, but I really do care for it quite a lot...

A humbucker in the bridge would probably persuade me to swap out settings more often, though. And I've got a buddy who owns an HSS Strat that also features coil splitting on the humbucker.

Funny: even as a single, a humbucker sure doesn't sound like that native single-coil Stratocaster!

--R :dunno:
On a 3SC Strat, 1, 2, and 4 are the positions I love. Neck-only gives the SRVaughanabee sound, very juicy and full of body, and 2 & 4 are variations on Hendrix tone which I love. In the project I have going on now, I use the middle position (I know, yikes!) for some solos.

A little reverb goes a long ways with any Strat I've ever played. It's a great sound and I'd use it if I had need for it.

I want a 490 at the bridge precisely because being a low-wind, the volume difference is not huge, but enough to kick a sweaty amp in the ass. I don't want distortion at that point, just more grind. Flip it and get it, y'know? And punch the pedal if it ain't enough.

I'd definitely go for a full-sized humbucker, myself and my own tastes. SC-sized humbuckers still don't "sample" the breadth of string and still sound less humbucky to my ears. They do, however, kill the hum, so there's that.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
I think that a 490T would work perfectly well as a Stratocaster's bridge pup! :thumb:

I was sitting here thinking about the whole matter, when yet another reason why I haven't either swapped or modded my current Strat to get that bucker-in-the-bridge thing going...

It's because I'm such a sucker for the neck pup tone of an unpinned Stratocaster! Honestly: while playing that particular instrument, I'm on the neck pup a good 90% of the time, though I also switch out to the second or third position to take advantage of the other pickups... :hmm:

But I always end up right where I started-- on the neck pickup only. :shock:

There's something so... I dunno, what would be a good word? Endearing? About that slightly quavering voice of a Stratocaster in that position... especially while running it through my HRD 410 amp with a lot of reverb...

Something priceless about that sound. Some people seem to hate it, but I really do care for it quite a lot...

A humbucker in the bridge would probably persuade me to swap out settings more often, though. And I've got a buddy who owns an HSS Strat that also features coil splitting on the humbucker.

Funny: even as a single, a humbucker sure doesn't sound like that native single-coil Stratocaster!

--R :dunno:
A strat on the neck pickup is an Absolute Good.
:thumb:
...and a split 'bucker is a veeeery different sound than a strat pickup.
The magnet setups are very different, for starters.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
:laugh2:

Well, I did say much the same thing when you broached the subject a while back... :naughty:
that you did . and while I had an idea of what it would be , the sound is more *unique* than I expected . still usable for a backyard time waster __ but it won't stop me from bringing out the acoustic too

Laura had the bright idea of running the Colorsound Fuzz clone through it ( thinking that it already sounded fuzzy ) . YIPES what a mess :eek2: . I'm only glad that she didn't put the EHX Octavix through it , because it might have blown the damned thing apart . . .

79standard

Reaction score
G'day all.

Doesn't know if it wants to be clear or cloudy this morning but boomers expected this evening and NWS has put most of NE Kansas in a Flashflood Watch from 7 this evening till 8 Monday am.

Thanks Ed. Those foil pans are the shit. I use them mostly on the grill but the mini loaf pans are what I have been making bread in.
Really thought those mini-Marshall stacks were very cool. Only got to play through one once at a jam and it sounded fine.
A friend had one of the original pignoses when we were kids. Was what it was.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.
I cut 2 albums with a 9-volt plastic toy Marshall and was very, very pleased with the dirt sound.
Very "Hocus Pocus" tone.
Some designer put the hours in and got "that sound."
Super feedback, too.
:thumb:

As for strats, all mine are SSS.
Two of them have sets with a studlier bridge wind, and that works great.
A third one has the 3 stockers, but I measured the DCRs and assigned them their places according to their resistances.
Pickup height settings took care of the rest.

Two of these strats have just a master tone.
The one with the stockers ('83 ESP) has no tone control at all, 2 of the 3 knobs being to control the 2 hidden pickups and more switching options for the 5-way, but we digress.

79standard

Reaction score
... not to mention the winds.
Yes indeed.

Put a bucker in one of those Duncan switching pickup rings and you can get either coil, or both in series or parallel.

I have a t-top set up like that,
and a Marciela Juarez Duncan Distortion,
and a Duncan P-Rails.
Each one tons of fun, 2 of them in my parts bin waiting either for the right project or the right buyer.

With the t-top, each coil has its own sound, in both cases an "innocent," almost delicate sort of "pawnshop prize" tone, like the singles on those sixties Hagstroms.

Not stratty at all, but its own thing, pleasant and useful.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

I'm guessing that everyone here uses 9v batteries for certain pedals ( I use carbon zincs on overdrives / fuzz / wah ) . so maybe someone here can help me with a product I'm looking for . I want to build a battery bay that will be easily accessible from the top of the board that I can just pop the 9 volts in and out of . the thing is __ the only compartments or holders that I've seen are the annoying clip in types , with the male and female posts . I'm wondering if there's a holder that I can just slide them into . like the spring loaded compartments that you see with the AA types

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Still in flashflood warning till tomorrow am though so far we seem to be okay in my local.
Heard some booming bout midnight but no limbs down in my yard.

Christopher you be way more ambitious tone chasing than I have ever been.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

BBD

Reaction score
A little reverb goes a long ways with any Strat I've ever played. It's a great sound and I'd use it if I had need for it.
Truth...

A strat on the neck pickup is an Absolute Good.
More truth... :)

..and a split 'bucker is a veeeery different sound than a strat pickup.
And more...

As for strats, all mine are SSS.
Two of them have sets with a studlier bridge wind, and that works great.
A third one has the 3 stockers, but I measured the DCRs and assigned them their places according to their resistances.
Pickup height settings took care of the rest.
Pickup height is *crucial* to a good Strat tone. I think Strats are more fussy about pickup height than most. But once you nail the sweet spots, it all starts to come together nicely.

BBD

Reaction score
Those Strat SC magnets are strong.... they grab the strings if the pickup is too high and sod up the natural vibration of the picked string so unpleasant wobblings creep in and sustain dies. And you get a boomy bottom too. The worst of all possible worlds :laugh2:

I've definitely found it harder to get pickup heights just-so on the Strat than a typical H H guitar* but there's no voodoo BS - ears and and patience sorted it out eventually. It's probably mainly just me because I'm such a Strat noob.

* Low on the neck - low enough to get rid of the boom; just high enough on the bridge to get the fire and bark without the mud.

cmh6122

Reaction score
Just posted this on another site.

I passed that flag to the next of kin 23 times. Did a lot of squirelly things in the service but I remember every time the NCOIC passed that flag to me. Had watched tears run down the faces of the men so carefully folding that flag (yes we spent hours practicing) and was terrified I would let the families down. "This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation, the United States Army and this unit as a small token of appreciation for the honorable and faithful service rendered this nation by your husband/father/son (did them all)." Was harder than dealing with the nukes that were also a part of my duties. To watch pinhead wannabees showing up to statehouses with their make believe soilder guns demanding their way is an insult to everything this day stands for.

This be an incredibly hard time for me. I have no doubt of the sacrifice that has been made on my behalf going well back before this nation existed. To pretend mindless jingoism equates to patriotism is a scam at best.

There is a place in the HBO series 'Band of Brothers' where Dick Winters is asked why they did so well and his reply was that they owed it to the guys 'who had given up all their tomorrows for our today,'

Today is not recognize those who served but those who gave that final measure..... is a long way between the two.

Was a church that had crosses for the casualties of the millennial wars till they ran out of space. Used to walk through and pay my respects. One day I came across a light-colonel who would have been an LT at the same time as me. Still have a hard time knowing what he sacrificed that I got to enjoy and his family too.

79standard

Reaction score
Just posted this on another site.

I passed that flag to the next of kin 23 times. Did a lot of squirelly things in the service but I remember every time the NCOIC passed that flag to me. Had watched tears run down the faces of the men so carefully folding that flag (yes we spent hours practicing) and was terrified I would let the families down. "This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation, the United States Army and this unit as a small token of appreciation for the honorable and faithful service rendered this nation by your husband/father/son (did them all)." Was harder than dealing with the nukes that were also a part of my duties. To watch pinhead wannabees showing up to statehouses with their make believe soilder guns demanding their way is an insult to everything this day stands for.

This be an incredibly hard time for me. I have no doubt of the sacrifice that has been made on my behalf going well back before this nation existed. To pretend mindless jingoism equates to patriotism is a scam at best.

There is a place in the HBO series 'Band of Brothers' where Dick Winters is asked why they did so well and his reply was that they owed it to the guys 'who had given up all their tomorrows for our today,'

Today is not recognize those who served but those who gave that final measure..... is a long way between the two.

Was a church that had crosses for the casualties of the millennial wars till they ran out of space. Used to walk through and pay my respects. One day I came across a light-colonel who would have been an LT at the same time as me. Still have a hard time knowing what he sacrificed that I got to enjoy and his family too.
Thanks, Charlie,
and thanks to those who served,
and especially to "those who gave up all their tomorrows."

Latest Threads