The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

BBD

Reaction score
Phil, the problem is that the Tories are shit on climate change, Brexit and now CV. Your continuing denial of this is, frankly, laughable at this point so why keep raising it? To troll me? I begin to wonder.

I worked hard and invested the proceeds. Why is this 'ironical'? What does it have to do with the Tories? (Of courses it is irrelevant, ad hominem crap, just you trying to make it about me, per your standard playbook).

As for the expedient lie that the time for criticism is when this mess is over - bullshit. The idea is to avoid unnecessary deaths, not turn a blind eye until it is too late - just to keep all the Tory partisans happy. But rest assured, there will also be criticism afterwards. If it emerges that Johnson and Cummings delayed action on ideological grounds, as seems likely, they will be held to account.

As I've said before when you try to shift the blame onto me - I respond to you. I don't make the running in these conversations. So why don't you stop and let the matter drop? Are you trolling me?

I think you are.

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
I never bought the logic that a mask is redundant for YOU but on the other hand will protect a health worker in direct contact with an infected patient. Seems The Director General of the Chinese CDC, George Gao agrees with me.

He is also saying that a mask should be worn by an infected person to protect well people, not the other way around.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Leysin to Bex is about 15 miles .
As a young lad I had several elderly relations in Bex, one of whom owned a garage and for a time there was a house there that belonged to an old aunt who died and my mum and dad used as a holiday home before it was sold.
Bex was also the last town en route up the winding alpine road to Gryon near where my uncle had chalet in the mountains and where I spent many a summer in my childhood and ironically where I played a guitar for the first time round a camp fire.
Oh such wonderful memories of a bygone time.
There was a waterfall on the alpine stream near the chalet my cousins would bath in but I being English of course was far too reserved to do that sort of thing.:laugh2:
One day when I was about 12 my girl cousin who was 15 took a shower under the waterfall and I happened to be strolling along the path...I just stood there mouth wide open and my eyes nearly popped out of my head..:wow:
She just looked over at me without once trying to cover up and in her heavy French accent said "What are you staring at you stupid boy?"
My views on girls changed forever that day...:laugh2:

Last time we were in Switzerland I found an old photo of the chalet in an album so took a snap of it on my phone.

View attachment 450959
I envy those with pleasant childhood memories. It's not that I don't have some, they're just isolated incidences. They're brief and replay like gifs in my mind. And sadly my sexual awakenings were more of a lurid nature in foster homes. My first home was with a malevolent Baptist minister with two daughters. A violent and angry man who beat his children, (one while naked because she peed her pants) terrorized me..then spouted the gospel from the pulpit on Sundays. He did however ingrain in me what a hypocrite was from an early age. The "spare the rod" crowd has rankled me ever since.

I know these stories may shock, and I apologize for recounting them. I know they're dark and a bit of a downer. But they're all I have. :laugh2:
And there's plenty more where that came from.:shock:

We've talked so much about influences and psychology on this thread and have shared a lot of things so I feel we're on a fairly honest level with each other for the most part. I don't recount these things for shock value or certainly not for sympathy as I don't want or need any. It's just what is. Sympathy actually irks me a bit. :420:

In searching for a "reason" for things, I guess it taught me to suspect the words and motives of adults, it taught me empathy, and it taught me children need protecting. One of the populations I worked with were abused children and they knew and could tell I "understood" and wasn't just a do-gooder with no direct knowledge of their pain. As their art therapist they weren't afraid as to what they might accidently reveal in their art. Their walls were strong but they opened a door to me at least. In fact they were motivated to communicate with me as best they could. And it certainly was no shock to me those adults existed. Those children usually develop an instinct for detecting the wolves in sheep's clothing.

My. Wasn't that pleasant. :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
He is also saying that a mask should be worn by an infected person to protect well people, not the other way around.
Well yes...but how does the mask protect the health worker from infection but not me? :shock:

Also...sans a test how does one know one is infected? Many are without symptoms for days before showing any signs. :dunno:

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I never played D&D . or got into the Goth culture ( unless you count The Cure ). but I did like some of the Anne Rice books . I read the vampire series / the Mayfair witches series . and one about a eunuch . her writing style was considered very long winded by some , but I read them at a point that when was into minute details . a little too much . . .

not sure I would read them again
I grew up with a fascination for horror because..well, I knew evil was real. Poe was my favorite. For some reason I never took much to Lovecraft. At least I wasn't bowled over as some are. In high school I dressed in black often, which reflected an inner darkness. And at that point I wanted (certain) people to fear me. As Goth children do. This culture propagates fear as respect until we deprogram ourselves and learn otherwise.

The revival in my awareness of The Masque of The Red Death is a reaction to our current plight. At least the plague recognized no social or economic boundaries, Which may be one of the hard lessons some may learn. And it's one they need and deserve to learn. ;)

Last edited:

Gooner

Reaction score
Please note: I haven't responded to you for a while about this.

Then Gooner sticks his oar in and has a stir.

When I respond, Gooner says: shut up, do not criticise the Tories or their supporters.

Now you are back, telling me to shut up as well.

What I said was if you leave it be, I will leave it be.

That's the deal - take it or leave it.
I think you need to try and understand that your view is not everyone's and I am entitled to "stick my oar in" when I please. You are also putting words in my mouth, read what I have written, respond to that if you are inclined, disagree if you like, but let's get it quite clear, you are not an authority on all subjects, what you say is debatable and quite regularly you have cited fact when there is contradictory evidence. You have literally become hysterical on this matter at a time when we need clear heads.
By the way, you can try and imply that I am a Tory sympathiser, I don't really give a fuck. Funnily enough, I have never voted Tory or Labour in my life. Fact. So yet again you are wrong.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I envy those with pleasant childhood memories. It's not that I don't have some, they're just isolated incidences. They're brief and replay like gifs in my mind. And sadly my sexual awakenings were more of a lurid nature in foster homes. My first home was with a malevolent Baptist minister with two daughters. A violent and angry man who beat his children, (one while naked because she peed her pants) terrorized me..then spouted the gospel from the pulpit on Sundays. He did however ingrain in me what a hypocrite was from an early age. The "spare the rod" crowd has rankled me ever since.

I know these stories may shock, and I apologize for recounting them. I know they're dark and a bit of a downer. But they're all I have. :laugh2:
And there's plenty more where that came from.:shock:

We've talked so much about influences and psychology on this thread and have shared a lot of things so I feel we're on a fairly honest level with each other for the most part. I don't recount these things for shock value or certainly not for sympathy as I don't want or need any. It's just what is. Sympathy actually irks me a bit. :420:

In searching for a "reason" for things, I guess it taught me to suspect the words and motives of adults, it taught me empathy, and it taught me children need protecting. One of the populations I worked with were abused children and they knew and could tell I "understood" and wasn't just a do-gooder with no direct knowledge of their pain. As their art therapist they weren't afraid as to what they might accidently reveal in their art. Their walls were strong but they opened a door to me at least. In fact they were motivated to communicate with me as best they could. And it certainly was no shock to me those adults existed. Those children usually develop an instinct for detecting the wolves in sheep's clothing.

My. Wasn't that pleasant. :laugh2:
On the contrary Frank , your stories are absolutely fascinating and it's good that you can air them to people who understand as opposed to merely sympathise as you said.
I was never ever abused as a boy but because I was a bit of a misfit sometimes, not a team player and kept myself to myself things could sometimes get a little lonely.
Luckily we had lots of relations in Switzerland and every summer my mum would try and get me off the streets in London to spend time with my cousins over there. I'd be put on a plane at one end and picked up at the other by my uncle in his Citroen light 15..:laugh2:
My uncle was strict but also a really loving , fair and kind man which probably did me the world of good at that age and taught me how to share.
As a teenager I sometimes went over on holiday with my other misfit school chum Roy Baker..:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I grew up with a fascination for horror because..well, I knew evil was real. Poe was my favorite. For some reason I never took much to Lovecraft. At least I wasn't bowled over as some are. In high school I dressed in black often, which reflected an inner darkness. And at that point I wanted (certain) people to fear me. As Goth children do. This culture propagates fear as respect until we deprogram ourselves and learn otherwise.

The revival in my awareness of The Masque of The Red Death is a reaction to our current plight. At least the plague recognized no social or economic boundaries, Which may be one of the hard lessons some may learn. And it's one they need and deserve to learn. ;)
Funny...Me too.
As a lad I collected all the Monsters of filmland mags from the early 60's.
I was also a great fan of Ray Harryhausen and saw all his film's.
In fact I actually have a book of his work signed by him which my eldest son got me when Harryhausen was in London.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Well, you had your own trauma at an early age which was quite impactful. As almost all of us do. The nature of each being somewhat different, the similarity being in the effect on us. In my experience folks who never experienced any real difficulties to speak of in life can be a bit shallow. Can be, it's not a given by any means. On the other hand bad events can warp people for the worse. Temporarily or permanently. I think society creates outsiders. Both children and adults contribute to that. Adults are ultimately to blame because it's something that can be addressed.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Funny...Me too.
As a lad I collected all the Monsters of filmland mags from the early 60's.
I was also a great fan of Ray Harryhausen and saw all his film's.
In fact I actually have a book of his work signed by him which my eldest son got me when Harryhausen was in London.

Yep. Same here. Famous Monsters, Castle of Frankenstein, and EC horror mags like Eerie and Creepy. Harryhausen was the best. The scenes from Jason and The Argonauts are amongst my favorites. When you look at the stop motion for something like the first Terminator it's pathetic by comparison. Very weak.

Gooner

Reaction score
And I am entitled to respond to you without being told to shut up.

If this is now clear, I suggest you drop the matter and allow me to go silent, as suggested a page back.
Again, putting words in my mouth. At no time have I written that you should "shut up"or even implied it. I merely responded to your post about medical advice in that you were wrong in your supposition. You could have responded with "well if they are these medical and scientific experts aren't very good" but you decided to change the subject and have a pop. All I've asked you to do is calm down, that's all, no snarky comments, this thread has been going a long time and I think you will find I have treated everyone with respect, maybe you should follow suit, it makes for a more pleasant experience.

Latest Threads