The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

BBD

Reaction score
I don't think it's so much about tax havens up and running as most of the planes are virtually empty. It's more about losing their flight slots. As the saying in the aviation industry goes.."Use it or lose it"...
They've got flight slots all over the world but they worry about losing only those in the Bahamas... why, exactly? :laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Through the '80s they were pretty much in everything that didn't have the nukes or tarbacks. I learned to like 'em and thought nothing of it. But then I also manage to find applications for those cheapass Epi hot alnicos that corksniffers swear will kill yer dogs, burn down yer house and ruin yer life. :laugh2:
I think a lot of the bitching and moaning over Epi pickups is hogwash.... Many jerk pickups before any attempt at adjusting height and poles.... Surprising the results possible.... Some folks just plain gravitate to nuclear.... I prefer weak buckers.... Me likey the tonez possible out of em and you don't have that -thud- pick attack like on the nukes when you try to play clean.... About as expressive as a nail gun shooting dry hardwood.... Well, some never learn the knobbery science of their amplifier either.... A weaker pickup is a different volume than a nuke with a much wider tone palette.... That is why there are knobs on the amp..... In my RP500, I have a patch setup for SSS AND a seperate patch setup for buckers.... simply because they ain't the same pickup type.... Both are tweaked for the specific pickup type....

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I raise the pole pieces to further offset the coils and take a hairdryer to 'em to depot if'n I want to go that far. Otherwise..as is. I have a Springfield 335 clone that came from the Epi factory (so basically a fancier Dot) and I like it alot for certain things. it has a Roland GK pup on it so if I Want to get beyond those limitations I can. Everything else about the guitar is great. Fit finish and hardware, the whole schmear.

It's amazing how you can set up gear for a particular guitar and it just blows you away. You plug a different guitar...arguably a BETTER guitar into the same setup and patch...yuck! Don't make no sense but there it is. Everything is a filter or amplifier. It all depends on the frequency spectrum you start with.,

BBD

Reaction score
Thanks to you, Frank - yes, you - I now have sidebar ads here for 'Knobby - The Underwear Club - Designed in Australia'. What H will make of this should she step in while I am here, I do not rightly know.

Helix patches for HB vs SSS - all different. Because utterly different beasts. And Ed knows we agree 100% on low output HBs as way more musical and versatile than the silly-hot ones.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I find really interesting about the pickups in Red, that when I pull the V knobs up to split em, they are even smoother and the bite is a bit less.... Very articulate.... I haven't pulled the control cav cover to see what is there yet... No real urge... I like it the way it is.... I think the bridge split live coil must be the furthest away from the bridge which I like a lot.... I can roll the tone back just a touch and I can actually play rhythm stuff on the bridge with a smooth tone, which with about any full bucker sounds like crap for rhythm.... I likes em....

I think it interesting just how many folks are going back to weaker PAF clones now..... I remember when the AquaNet Hairspray period kicked in, all the damn guitars sounded the same because of the nukes and chained distortion pedal crap.... You couldn't tell a Lester from a ZimGar there was so much heat in the signal... No freaking tone other than chainsaw-notching-concrete racket.... Folks would load up an old 335 with nukes and what DID have all colors of the rainbow and then some, had one tone.... Chainsaw running aviation gas.... Sucked....

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree about hot pups. I use a lot of overdrive/dist and palm muting is cool. When somebody tells me you can't get there from here I always ask "how do you know where I'm going?" ;)

Buckethead for instance, His signature Paul has the 496 and 500 hot ceramics. I have those in an Explorer and for certain things nothing else will do. :dunno:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
They've got flight slots all over the world but they worry about losing only those in the Bahamas... why, exactly? :laugh2:
I've checked and they have had flights going to other destinations too.
I think it's because some will turn and head north west for some American cities on the Greenland route before they reach the shire so don't fly overhead.
We tend to get more flights heading for South America passing this way en route out over Ireland as opposed to Scotland.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Checkin' back in, hope all's well with y'all.

Testing is critical and how other countries have blunted the curve. Our leadership has both thumbs up their asses while we wait for tests because "someone" has to be sure they profit first. It's going to explode here.
In any battle, intel is vital. Not knowing where the enemy is opens one up to dangerous surprises. I won't say any more out of respect for the rules.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Easter the what date is it anyway has been posponed until Christmas

I see Sin,Hello Sin, is Thumpers back? Is he still speaking to me the big skinny fat bastid? Big fanny was non communicative last time he said hello, big massive fanny!
look, every time I open my gob you try shovin' your tongue down it, cut a man some slack!

Hope all's well with you, m'friend. We gotta do the skype thing again.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Through the '80s they were pretty much in everything that didn't have the nukes or tarbacks. I learned to like 'em and thought nothing of it. But then I also manage to find applications for those cheapass Epi hot alnicos that corksniffers swear will kill yer dogs, burn down yer house and ruin yer life. :laugh2:
The old Epi SG I had had some really skanky pickups in it, pretty trebly, it could fake a Tele pretty good and with distortion got that mid-period Rush 2112 or Farewell to Kings clang to it. I loved it for being so brash and forward.

On the other hand, my 09 Gibson Faded with 490s was great for almost any style from jazz to funk to heavy rock and loud blues.

... Many jerk pickups before any attempt at adjusting height and poles....
Big mistake, yeah. You got a screwdriver for a reason, use it. My experience is that most tone problems can be dialed out pretty quickly so long as you know what you're doing. Give it the strings and setup you like, then spend an hour with the pickups.

I think it interesting just how many folks are going back to weaker PAF clones now..... I remember when the AquaNet Hairspray period kicked in, all the damn guitars sounded the same because of the nukes and chained distortion pedal crap.... You couldn't tell a Lester from a ZimGar there was so much heat in the signal... No freaking tone other than chainsaw-notching-concrete racket.... Folks would load up an old 335 with nukes and what DID have all colors of the rainbow and then some, had one tone.... Chainsaw running aviation gas.... Sucked....
... and then you pump it all through pie-pan speakers ...

ETA: Sorry for the Colcharesque run of posts.

Last edited:

sliding tom

Reaction score
Thanks to you, Frank - yes, you - I now have sidebar ads here for 'Knobby - The Underwear Club - Designed in Australia'. What H will make of this should she step in while I am here, I do not rightly know.
:lol: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There's shades of The Surstromming in there too.

Don't you dare, Tommo, I know you're thinkin' it!

:naughty:............:laugh2: ....... :laugh2: ..........:laugh2:

Good Morning folkses! :wave:

BBD

Reaction score
In fact I've just read this morning on the news headlines that Europe has frozen its economies to deal with the coronavirus outbreak.
Pretty much everywhere has frozen its economy to deal with CV, including the UK. Apart from consumer spending on food. most economic activity tapers or ceases altogether. To follow Thump's analogy, the strategy is to prevent patient brain death through lack of circulation by vast government injections of funds both to businesses and individuals to keep them going while normal circulation is halted. Sort of like a medically induced coma from which, hopefully, we eventually have a chance of re-awakening without significant brain damage.

Buckethead for instance, His signature Paul has the 496 and 500 hot ceramics. I have those in an Explorer and for certain things nothing else will do. :dunno:
With hot 'uns, pickup height is the thing. So many players seem to have them too close to the strings. Lowered until the tone brightens up and opens up... that's the trick, at least for me, when playing hot HBs (I have a JB bridge in one guitar and Seymor Duncan SD in another).

Hey..that's on you Dom. :shock:

"Browser history" *cough*
Seriously though, it's *not*. Something picked up on the fact that I'd typed the word 'knob' in here and targeted an ad at me on that keyword. Bleh.

I've checked and they have had flights going to other destinations too.
Officially, the Bahamas closed its airports to incoming flights on 24 March, so not sure what's going on really.

Latest Threads