The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Let's play an outside gig they said.
It'll be fun they said.

Bullshit.
What it was was cold as shit...but got paid real damn well.....
Didn't even have to use my drivers.... Used their EVs... They're good....but they ain't JBL good....

Thought I'd share about the previous two nights there... Read if you have absolutely nothing better to do like solve world hunger...or dig out ear wax....

Extremely cool venue...cold as hell last two nights there but still cool.... We hope we go back...

Cool ass venue.... Millenial hip scene inside (they make freaking bank.) Front half is the trendy tube lights hanging vertically from ceiling the changes colors and shit.... Art all over the place. Huge flat behind the bar that changes scenes, on the front of building too... Back half inside is the Rap-isco dance bullshit with mega-geeters lighting and sound system from hell.... Did you know that you can actually make a concrete with wood laminate floor seem to free float with enough low end drivers and enough power to push those worthless farking freqs?

In back is the outside huge ass patio with the fancy wicker couches with white cushions around propane fire pits with the rocks in the middle of a table... Extremely nice... Middle are long high picnic tables with big beer umbrellas.... Nice elevated stage with EVs hanging up top and EV subs underneat the front... They have the old vintage filament looking LED light strings everywhere out there. Ten foot nice wooden fence all around with beer tins tacked all around.... They have color changing lights outside the fence shining up into the trees... Actually love the place.... Place had been another club more traditional. New owner bought it, they totally gutted the building and dropped "a big one" remodeling.... and it shows...Out back, Square red clay tiles (12") but surrounded and separated by four inches of green outdoor carpet...same height... Somebody got paid for that flooring covering the entire open area in back.... Imagine the work to pull that off... Also had several of the vertical top hat propane heaters.... They'd go thru several tanks a night out back....

Did I mention it was cold? Well, it was... I brought a thermos of coffee. had three layers under my jacket and wore my black Deluth Trading Co. Fire Hose jeans because .......well they're made out of damn firehouse material and it was cold outside....

The staff was reminiscent of the old days. Do anything and everything to help you. Two ladies ran the big bar out back (actually a building with a huge stainless freaking steel roll up from bar to ceiling... Stainless.... I'd like to know just how much that motorized disappearing rollup costs. Head guy for service out back wore a suit with no tie. Looked the part. Never freaking stopped moving. Cleared tables, emptied ashtrays, replace propane tanks, never freaking stopped moving. The managers were constantly in motion and they would also clear tables and sump ashtrays... Even their 'cooler' that you wouldn't notice would clear as he walked around.... Top notch service. Haven't seen a club that serious about service in a long long time... They know what they are doing.... and making unreal bank.... Hot spot for the young and loaded crowd.... One of the fire pit squares with two wicker couches and two chairs around a square metal table with the gas rocks in the center was reserved last night for 350. No shit. Really, no shit... They even brought out several white fur blankets for the ladies in the group... The guys were buying the BIG bolltes of the high dollar wines and shit... White jeans white shirts, both two sizes too small, dumbass looking caps... Crazy... Some drunk ass folks....
And it was cold as hell.... I'd love to play the back venue regularly....when it is warmer.... I saw one young dude in short pants and a tank top... What kind of dumbass.... Girls with short skirts up to the bumpers. Clev you could drop a golf ball thru... Are there young dipshits so desperate to belong to some crowd they will freeze their asses off just to appear cool trying to reach the 'in crowd' status? Some of those folks were serious farked between the ears...

Anyway, thought somebody might enjoy the above....if they are stranded in the bathroom with no reading, not even on deodorant labels...

edro...
Sounds like a great venue Ebers.
It's hard to imagine Alabama being cold for us Brits .:laugh2:
I did an outdoor gig once and played the entire set wearing gloves which got a laugh from the audience.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great venue Ebers.
It's hard to imagine Alabama being cold for us Brits .:laugh2:
I did an outdoor gig once and played the entire set wearing gloves which got a laugh from the audience.

By the time we started, it was in the mid 40's and dropping... By the time I had the war wagon loaded and cranked to head home, it was down in the 30's...

I had been outside so many hours, when I got home, I was still cold and had damn leg cramps all through until I finally got up and got in my old wallowed out leather recliner with my heat pad....

Even though I used their speakers, I still had the mixer, rack, monitors system, mics, to pack up each night. Not gonna leave anything other than stands and cables outside overnight... High fence, security, cams with cell phone alerts, etc... but still tweren't gonna leave nuttin but cables and stands... They wouldn't steal cables because the runs go all over the stage and you just can't grab cables and run without tangling all kinds of shit up... Stands get snagged, I just pull out more stands outa the war wagon. I got stands...

Sooo, had to get there in the afternoon, drag system back in, replug, examine and evaluate if cabling was still correct, dbl check monitors and cabling, Pull mics outa the trunk and stand em, power up. and test.... By the time I had satisfied, I went to grab dinner...well actually breakfast at Dennys... Hey I like breakfast at Dennys.... Ate and headed back and killed time until go....
Didn't go in except to hit the terlet... I would not voluntarily listen to that Rap-isco bullshit...

We ain't as young as we used to be.... We don't retain our engine heat as well and it takes longer to regain lost heat.... Several years ago, I wouldn't have needed a jacket...just a chamois shirt over one of my Henley shirts over a tshirt and I would be good to go.... Nawt... Ain't as young as we once were...

79standard

Reaction score
Well, it seems my aforementioned brother Dave is in even deeper shit than a few days ago.

A while back he had to take a chemo holiday because of a dive in white cells, and during that time his cancer went nuts.

It still looks like he's too weak to start the one therapy regime that could save him, except he's even weaker than my last report.
:facepalm:

I have to avoid succumbing to despair, even though all my prayers of the last few days/weeks/months seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

I can't afford to just throw up my hands and shout "oh fuggit, what difference does it make!?!"
...even though it's a tempting notion.

Prayer may or may not save my brother, but just sitting on my couch watching American Pickers certainly will not.

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Another inventive guitarist who played with Bruford (and Alan White, and Mick Karn, etc).
One of my Desert Island 10.
A major influence.
There is some David Torn in everything I do.
I'll get you some links tomorrow
Tonight I'm gonna give the internet a rest and pray like a condemned man.
:sadwave:
Don't you worry yerself about links... 2 second job on google to cure the lazy basterditus. :laugh2: I prefer conversing with people rather than just googling names, you get a bigger, more rounded picture if yi know whit I mean?

Aye mate, sounds like yi got a melon buster going. Try not to beat yerself up with worry Tim, easier said than done mate. :yesway:

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
So the story of my musical heritage if you will...

1977 got whacked sideways with God Save the Queen. A 10 year old discovers what music is for & likes the concept & knows instantly that's what he wants to do.

Almost 6 years later gets a black Kay LP copy with an action so high you could limbo dance under it (Copyright Paul Saunders :laugh2::applause:) A rite of passage for any UK youngster in the early 80s. The horror & debilitating pain of a cheapo copy. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Got told in no uncertain terms that 6 strings are way above my pay grade, big sausage fingered McBumnote. Oh what's this? Four strings eh? That feels quite groovy baby.

So started learning in earnest. Punky goodness at first, Cockney Rejects, the Ruts, the Stranglers. The Stranglers were the tough nut to crack, JJ is a classically trained guitarist & an absolute legend of the black P Bass.

After that the next logical progression was Rush. Had to ditch the plec & discover what giant water blisters looked like, up close & personal on my fingy wingys..

Then came Slap & the era of the sore thumb. BOING (Should see the mad callous on me right thumb, bastard of a size.)
https://soundcloud.com/rizla-green%2Fsore-thumb My P Bass sound. Love the growl.

But on the learning curve... Jazz Fusion/Rock is where you get to understand exactly what Detective Harry Callahan ment by "A man's got to know his limitations"...
Get to find out quite quick, yer shite, yer playin' with the big boys now, there is no end to learning... Ever! :run:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The story so far. Cheers for reading. :applause::yesway::laugh2:

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
So the story of my musical heritage if you will...

1977 got whacked sideways with God Save the Queen. A 10 year old discovers what music is for & likes the concept & knows instantly that's what he wants to do.

Almost 6 years later gets a black Kay LP copy with an action so high you could limbo dance under it (Copyright Paul Saunders :laugh2::applause:) A rite of passage for any UK youngster in the early 80s. The horror & debilitating pain of a cheapo copy. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Got told in no uncertain terms that 6 strings are way above my pay grade, big sausage fingered McBumnote. Oh what's this? Four strings eh? That feels quite groovy baby.

So started learning in earnest. Punky goodness at first, Cockney Rejects, the Ruts, the Stranglers. The Stranglers were the tough nut to crack, JJ is a classically trained guitarist & an absolute legend of the black P Bass.

After that the next logical progression was Rush. Had to ditch the plec & discover what giant water blisters looked like, up close & personal on my fingy wingys..

Then came Slap & the era of the sore thumb. BOING (Should see the mad callous on me right thumb, bastard of a size.)
https://soundcloud.com/rizla-green%2Fsore-thumb My P Bass sound. Love the growl.

But on the learning curve... Jazz Fusion/Rock is where you get to understand exactly what Detective Harry Callahan ment by "A man's got to know his limitations"...
Get to find out quite quick, yer shite, yer playin' with the big boys now, there is no end to learning... Ever! :run:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

The story so far. Cheers for reading. :applause::yesway::laugh2:
Such an interesting subject and usually related to ones youth.

I basically gave the punk era a miss as it just didn't float my boat and with regard playing in bands the whole fusion thing didn't really interest me either. It's not that I didn't understand it or couldn't play it but whizzing around on scales for the sake of whizzing around scales bores me silly.
I've always tried to compliment the song and never play to try and impress musicians...They don't pay bills...:laugh2:

Melodic content and a story line have always been important to me , not forty minute rambling guitar solos..

My idea of a great song and a perfect guitar solo..But as they say.."whatever floats your boat"..:laugh2:

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
Such an interesting subject and usually one that is related to ones generation.

I basically gave the punk era a miss as it just didn't float my boat and with regard playing in bands the whole fusion thing didn't really interest me either. It's not that I didn't understand it or couldn't play it but whizzing around on scales for the sake of whizzing around scales bores me silly.
I've always tried to compliment the song and never play to try and impress musicians...They don't pay bills...:laugh2:

Melodic content and a story line have always been important to me , not forty minute rambling guitar solos..

My idea of a great song and a perfect guitar solo..But as they say.."whatever floats your boat"..:laugh2:

I get your point, but fusion is about much more than wankery.
There are indeed actual melodies and ideas within songs by Mahavishnu et al;
you may not *like* these melodies and ideas, but I assure you, they're in there.
:thumb:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems my aforementioned brother Dave is in even deeper shit than a few days ago.

A while back he had to take a chemo holiday because of a dive in white cells, and during that time his cancer went nuts.

It still looks like he's too weak to start the one therapy regime that could save him, except he's even weaker than my last report.
:facepalm:

I have to avoid succumbing to despair, even though all my prayers of the last few days/weeks/months seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

I can't afford to just throw up my hands and shout "oh fuggit, what difference does it make!?!"
...even though it's a tempting notion.

Prayer may or may not save my brother, but just sitting on my couch watching American Pickers certainly will not.

Extra good juju to you and yours, bud....

Ed

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Such an interesting subject and usually related to ones youth.

That IS about perfect...... Great tone and playing.... I'd bet a ham sammich against a tooth pick he listened to a lot of both Jeff Beck and Robben Ford.... That solo just reaches in and squeezes your heart muscle....

Damn I love hearing playing like that... Nothing earthshaking, just smooth....

Steve Rothery of Marillion is killer too.... Plays what is called for... Nothing more, nothing less.... Just damn perfect...

Latest Threads