The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Human beings can be the basest of creatures or fantastical beasties. The potential (in either direction) is staggering. This project uses AI to try and decipher the thought processes of one of our most gifted. Shockingly gifted in fact.

just watched the first 5 minutes of that . looks very interesting __ and I'll watch the rest of it later tonight . Thanks for that link :thumb:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I guess he means using all the basic chord shapes that are based on the chords C A G E D.
I often do something similar: when a student has learned a progression with a set of chord shapes they have to learn that progression using different shapes.
looked up " CAGED chord progressions " on YouTube . understand now . is very useful to understand how everything connects , using as many as methods there are available

79standard

Reaction score
18 years ago I lost three siblings in the space of 18 months..in which time I also survived a widow maker that left 40 % of my heart dead scar tissue. I was spiritually devastated for several years after. In the course of those years my spouse lost 100% of her hearing for a decade. But I'm still here with a sense of humor, albeit a rather twisted one. :naughty:

Lost my mom at four and my pop at seven. The pain of loss 40 years later was exactly the same. It always is. There's a chasm in your chest that opens up. You can feel it. And yes people do die of a broken heart.

There's no words can make it better. You can look for a philosophy, or cling to a religion that explains it. It's all a coping mechanism. There's no way someone can put a good spin on it.

Someone once said that "Growing old is a ceremony of loss".

Can't remember who. In the mean time you can look for things that give you joy. There are some even in the face of that reality. Family and friends of course, but I find nature is the most effective healer. Things kind of come into perspective...even if only a vague sense of eternity and your relative place within it.

I'm not an atheist, nor do I identify as an agnostic...although I do agree that we cannot know. It's an undeniable fact that there are things much bigger than us, and not just in size. Having a conviction...of "something" in order to cope is after all what art, music, literature, drama and philosophy is all about, as far as "being human". If you're wrong, and you die...what difference does it make? Man (or woman) does not live by bread alone.

Even animals grieve. And move on.

But I of course wish you and yours well...Tim and Fards...and my pagan supplications on your behalf will ascend to the stars. And my hope is there's someone or something there to hear them.
Blessed be, Frank!
Thank you.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
18 years ago I lost three siblings in the space of 18 months..in which time I also survived a widow maker that left 40 % of my heart dead scar tissue. I was spiritually devastated for several years after. In the course of those years my spouse lost 100% of her hearing for a decade. But I'm still here with a sense of humor, albeit a rather twisted one. :naughty:
wow . just wow . that sounds like a really tough stretch there . some people experience less __ and don't make it through
Lost my mom at four and my pop at seven. The pain of loss 40 years later was exactly the same. It always is. There's a chasm in your chest that opens up. You can feel it. And yes people do die of a broken heart.
that's the scary thing . emotional stress can definitely weaken the cardiovascular system ( along with others ) . and even take a person down . sometimes it's difficult for people to find the right ways to cope

on the flip side of that , is how powerful Positive Energy can be . I've been following some of the teachings of Wim Hof for the last several months . while his breathing techniques are " re-packaged " Pranayama methods __ he certainly has some interesting takes on cold therapy

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
wow . just wow . that sounds like a really tough stretch there . that's the scary thing . emotional stress can definitely weaken the cardiovascular system ( along with others ) . and even take a person down . sometimes it's difficult for people to find the right ways to cope

on the flip side of that , is how powerful Positive Energy can be . I've been following some of the teachings of Wim Hof for the last several months . while his breathing techniques are " re-packaged " Pranayama methods __ he certainly has some interesting takes on cold therapy
"The mind is the builder" That's a quote from The Sleeping Prophet Edgar Cayce, of Kentucky. Psychic or not...it's the plain truth.

Sadly it can also be the destroyer.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
just watched the first 5 minutes of that . looks very interesting __ and I'll watch the rest of it later tonight . Thanks for that link :thumb:
He intuitited the nature of blood flow INSIDE of a coronary artery...something he couldn't see inside..that's just stunning. Especially with his sketch shown side by side with a computer model. It's identical. His aerial view of Venice...something he could only see in his mind's eye and calculate...also amazing.

Our brains are super complex modelers. We use our cognitive imagination to coordinate data...fill in the blanks and accomplish all sorts of things. Those lacking in imagination also lack empathy. They're unable to project themselves into other peoples' situation...or walk in their shoes. It's sad and a large swath of our nation suffers from it, and it manifests as cruelty and callousness.

I made it my mission to ignite that spark in students. Aristotle said that education isn't the filling of a vessel but the kindling of a flame.

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
He intuitited the nature of blood flow INSIDE of a coronary artery...something he couldn't see inside..that's just stunning. Especially with his sketch shown side by side with a computer model. It's identical. His aerial view of Venice...something he could only see in his mind's eye and calculate...also amazing.

Our brains are super complex modelers. We use our cognitive imagination to coordinate data...fill in the blanks and accomplish all sorts of things. Those lacking in imagination also lack empathy. They're unable to project themselves in other peoples' situation...or walk in their shoes. It's sad and a large swath of our nation suffers from it, and it manifests as cruelty and callousness.

I made it my mission to ignite that spark in students. Aristotle said that education isn't the filling of a vessel but the kindling of a flame.

only half way through , but the aortic valve thing blew my mind

there was a brief mention ( with no real follow up of course ) that his thinking made a dramatic leap around the age of 35 . I remember one of my art history teachers going on about something called a " Christ Moment " . or awakening

my memory is not what it used to be , but it seems that other people have had this same type of shift in their lives . do you know what I'm talking about ? . I figured that maybe or Tim might have heard something about this phenomena . it has something to do with a spiritual shift of consciousness

79standard

Reaction score
wow . just wow . that sounds like a really tough stretch there . some people experience less __ and don't make it through

that's the scary thing . emotional stress can definitely weaken the cardiovascular system ( along with others ) . and even take a person down . sometimes it's difficult for people to find the right ways to cope

Yeah, Frank has seen some horrible sh*t -- he still manages to be a buddy, both in spite of and because of the horrors he's seen.
:thumb:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
only half way through , but the aortic valve thing blew my mind

there was a brief mention ( with no real follow up of course ) that his thinking made a dramatic leap around the age of 35 . I remember one of my art history teachers going on about something called a " Christ Moment " . or awakening

my memory is not what it used to be , but it seems that other people have had this same type of shift in their lives . do you know what I'm talking about ? . I figured that maybe or Tim might have heard something about this phenomena . it has something to do with a spiritual shift of consciousness
The frontal cortex doesn't develop (or maybe become active or disciplined) until your late 20s, from what I've read. Makes me wonder how anything at all happened in The Dark Ages given their limited life span. So maybe that has a correlation?

My spiritual shift happened in my late teens/early 20s but I think psychedelics expedited it...or even created it. That would be considered "black arts" in some circles as living the life of an eschetic..prayer,contemplation, privation...were the "white " ways to do it. But I was pretty damaged psychically. I needed it bad. I would have died early if not...possibly by my own hand.

79standard

Reaction score
Is there really an ethically valid choice at this point? Can he tell the doctors that he wants to proceed? If he wishes to then it should be done.

Sid, this time last year I was at my old mate Nick's funeral. Fuck knows how I got through that except by holding on to the fact that he would not have appreciated me howling and greeting over the box. That and his sisters were in grief like I have never seen and I needed to stand there for them too. I'm crying now though for fucks sake.

Do your gbest.
Dom, to answer your question, Dave is still able to make his own decisions, and he's fighting like mad, for his own sake but especially for his wife and daughter and his sibs.

And I'm sorry as hell about your friend.
Time doesn't dull the pain as much as we need it to, does it. :(

79standard

Reaction score
The frontal cortex doesn't develop (or maybe become active or disciplined) until your late 20s, from what I've read. Makes me wonder how anything at all happened in The Dark Ages given their limited life span. So maybe that has a correlation?

My spiritual shift happened in my late teens/early 20s but I think psychedelics expedited it...or even created it. That would be considered "black arts" in some circles as living the life of an eschetic..prayer,contemplation, privation...were the "white " ways to do it. But I was pretty damaged psychically. I needed it bad. I would have died early if not...possibly by my own hand.
"I will use what I have to use."
-- Neil Young

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Yeah, Frank has seen some horrible sh*t -- he still manages to be a buddy, both in spite of and because of the horrors he's seen.
:thumb:
Everybody has pain. Some more than others that's true.,I admit to having plenty of wtf and "why me?" moments. There was an era when I was a very angry and dangerous person.

Shaking off my religious upbringing was a revelatory experience. I hated "God". Cursed "him". I had an episode where I had taken a half dozen hits of acid and was walking in a furious thunderstorm with tornadoes overhead. Lightning crashing and wind howling. I stood in a field and dared "him" to strike me dead. DARED. Nothing happened. After that I didn't "fear" God. I personally feel it's a sick and harmful thing to teach children.

After that though, I felt invincible and engaged in very dangerous activities. I still had a strong moral sense, but nothing was going to "make" me do the right thing. It was my choice. And I felt no reluctance to do what I had to if you crossed me or exhibited a lack of "street ethics".

Pain can twist us. It can also be a crucible where we shed things and learn. And adults often offer poor methods to cope with pain. I had to get a lot of psychology texts and study lots of different religions to rectify my experiences and feelings. Hopefully coming out a better person in the process. Some would say I failed. But they didn't know me then. :laugh2:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I've heard / read the same thing too . the brain is not fully developed until ( apps. ) 21 years of age

but no correlation . this is something entirely different . more along the like of mysticism . the Professor was a freak in many different ways :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I don't believe they're unrelated in the instance you've mentioned. The maturity of the frontal cortex has to do with the grasp of cause and effect, or consequences. I think part of spiritual maturity is the understanding of consequence. How what we do leads to one thing or another that affects us,and others. Reciprocity is basically the rule of Karma, The Golden Rule, and if you want to stretch it a bit, Newton's Third Law.,;)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Some of are different from the norm.... Some waaaaay off the norm.....

Some the wrong waaaaaay off.....unfortunately.....

Some of us found the extra gearbox early on...Some didn't till later..... Some never......

We all have walked in different shoes..... That realization helps understand others....

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I think part of spiritual maturity is the understanding of consequence. How what we do leads to one thing or another that affects us,and others

consequences . or repercussions ?

good actions don't always precede good results . or bad ones bad . the intention is not always the deciding factor . and Karma basically comes down to someone that knowingly does something wrong __ to reach a certain goal . usually a selfish one . and then there are the repercussions

to know how one action has an effect on another . then another . and so on . this approaches the territory of The Butterfly Effect . outcome is not always predictable

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Bullshit Arti.... You've always known where to hit the extra gears....

I found it easier to let faculty think I didn't know about it either...

It got old with the "Just think what you could do if you actually tried....", especially science/math teachers.

My thoughts were 'You really don't want me to do that....'

I know you guys understand the same.....

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
consequences . or repercussions ?

good actions don't always precede good results . or bad ones bad . the intention is not always the deciding factor . and Karma basically comes down to someone that knowingly does something wrong __ to reach a certain goal . usually a selfish one . and then there are the repercussions

to know how one action has an effect on another . then another . and so on . this approaches the territory of The Butterfly Effect . outcome is not always predictable
There are psychological consequences for those with a conscience. And those cause sickness, even manifesting physically. So it's not just "I'll do good things and then good things will happen". If that 's the reasoning then does that make you (not "you") a good person? Or is it that you do good whether there's anything in it for you?

That's why I don't like the carrot and stick aspect of some religious teaching.

Latest Threads