The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
she's into literally everything . but enjoys the fuzz tones the most . her rhythm playing is getting pretty good . as far as delay __ that's more my style

speaking of . we were watching The Dakh Daughters again this morning . if you're not interested in the song , just fast forward to 2:40 . where the girl is jumping up and down on a stage riser in combat boots , to create more bass :applause:

If she digs the fuzz tones you should consider getting her a distortion modeler pedal. She can try out a dozen that way and see what she really likes.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
If she digs the fuzz tones you should consider getting her a distortion modeler pedal. She can try out a dozen that way and see what she really likes.
didn't even know that they made such a thing . just a modeler with different distortions I'm guessing . I'll have to look into that . even though I know that it's more about fuzz and overdrive vs. distortion that she likes

79standard

Reaction score
I know what you mean, but what are our alternatives? Sometimes you need an "expert" even though you're rolling the dice with possible incompetence, arrogance or a hidden agenda.
I've been going to the same cardiologist since my heart attack in ' 12. He's the head of cardiology at St. Joseph. Very knowledgable Chinese American. Doesn't really listen though. He's had me taking 800 mg of magnesium oxide for a few years to minimize afib. Unfortunately the last year every time they check my defibrillator memory I'm in afib 30% of the time, which is significant. The magnesium was causing unpleasant side effects which I questioned him about every time. Totally dismissed my questions and complaints.
Then in August he prescribed a drug to address the afib. I asked if there were side effects. " Oh lots" he said very casually. " we'll have to monitor your eyes, your lungs, your kidneys very carefully every 6 months".
I was shocked, and he was gone. I usually get to see him for 15minutes twice a year and that's it.
When I get home and Google the drug it has a black box warning recommending the patient be hospitalized for observation when starting it. Not a word about that from him. So rather than take it I go to my PCP for a referral for a second opinion. They read my defibrillator, and yes..afib 30% of the time. I ask him about the Amiodarone. He verifies it's hazards but suggests another drug that deson't possibly destroy my organs. I ask him about the magnesium. He has no idea why I'm taking such a massive dose and says discontinue it when I explain the side effects.
So I stop it cold, reluctantly. He also refers me to an electro cardiologist to see if I'm a candidate for an ablation to address the afib. Something my cardiologist never even mentioned. I go. The doc says I'm definitely a candidate. It could eliminate my afib completely. And any reduction in the instance of afib is a big plus in extending my life..
The max recommended dose of magnesium is 350mg. I was taking 800. And oh yeah...the eletrocardiologist in reading my defibrillator said...ZERO afib for 30 days. My last reading had been 30 days before and I had stopped the magnesium the same day. One of the side affects of magnesium overdose is slow heart rate. Also blood pressure drop, which I had been experiencing. Wtf?
Is this guy a doctor or a veterinarian?
Holy cow!
And 800mg of magesium oxide?
Can you say "Riding the Porcelain Honda"?
:shock:

79standard

Reaction score
didn't even know that they made such a thing . just a modeler with different distortions I'm guessing . I'll have to look into that . even though I know that it's more about fuzz and overdrive vs. distortion that she likes
The Korg AX3G has terrific fuzz models (and ring mod and flange and echo and etc etc) for short money.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Is this guy a doctor or a veterinarian?
Holy cow!
And 800mg of magesium oxide?
Can you say "Riding the Porcelain Honda"?
:shock:

Exactly. I complained of that and the first cardiologist poo-pooed it. (Pun intended.) He acted as if it wasn't possible. I mean, c'mon. Even laymen know it's effects.

I told the next guy "doesn't that cause dehydration?" Yep.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Here's the first one that came to mind. Didn't watch the vid so you might find better ones. I use fuzz/dist/OD models on a Zoom pedal and on IPad aps. I think they're great and I had many of the analog versions in the past.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
any other circuit bender here ? raise your hands . Pretty sure that edro is one
I'll mod guitars. Some old old amps. But pedals I don't see the point (for me) anymore. I already have more options than I can handle. And like software vs hardware synthesis, I'd rather use modelers for effects. That screen shot I posted...Bias Pedal allows me to modify discrete components and values to experiment if I want to build my own dist/OD/fuzz pedals. Or modulators, reverbs, or delays for that matter.

It's sound. If I can create the same sounds virtually as I could with hardware, software is faster, easier, cheaper and takes much less space to store. Even If they're only 90% accurate as far as an emulation I'm fine with that. Many are dead-on. The sound quality is pristine.

I have two hybrid multi-fx ('80s and '90s) that are analog gate/comp/OD/distortion/eq/chorus with digital modulation and delays. Boss and Digitech. They have classic analog pedals I always liked so they're workhorses. The weird exotic stuff I can model.

In short I'm of no help to you whatsoever. :laugh2:

As far as distortions go, I always liked the Dod/Digitech, EH and Boss distortions and overdrives. Which are now "vintage". Of The two or three iterations of the Big Muff, (Classic/Soviet/and Bass) I think the bass version is more versatile.

Last edited:

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Morning troops, morning Tommo.

Just fixed my specs with heat shrink tubing & a heat gun. Tubing & speck frames are black so you can't really notice it. It's on there solid. Can't close the left arm no more but just saved myself 70 odd spondollies. I'm a happy chap.

Right, need new batteries for my watches, to the shopper. It must be Tele Tuesday.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/20118239-wren-and-cuff-de-la-riva-ultimate-big-muff-and-more-adjustable-dip-switch-multi-tonal-fuzz-of-love

View attachment 434276

I know for a fact there were dip switches involved . this one was built from the EHX circuit __ the switches giving the options on values / diodes

I might just build one . if I can find a good schematic . would be my go to way of thinking . and then I remind myself that I don't *need* any more projects
Pretty sexy lookin'.

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Woke up to 7F but they say be a chance of breaking freezing this after. Is a little after 10 local time and temp has reached 12 with a windchill above one.
Gotta love being retired would have gone to work in well below zero chills this am.

Maddie is agitating to head to the Bark Park. I am trying to convince her that waiting another hour would make the trip much more enjoyable. Besides a lot more time for another cup of tea.

Don't do coffee anymore and have been dabbling in herbals (can hardly wait till Kansas goes medical) as I suspect the Lavender/Honey stress relief blend would be considerably more effective. Though I have green tea that I make sun tea with all the other blends are devoid of tea altogether.

Is a hoot reading the discussions bout stomp-boxes and the like. Had a Big Muff fuzz around 72 and a wah by 73. Too much hassle dicking with batteries, and by this time I had two tweed deluxes. Till bout a 12 or 13 year ago was me a guitar, a chord into an amp.
Bought a tube screamer TS-9 when I was playing through Kevin's Fender Pro-Sonic. Still use it and bout 4 years back I added a Ditto so is guitar, TS-9, Ditto into a Don Jones built fairly heavily modified blackface DR clone.
Remember them days of sore backs, skint knuckles & shouting at the singer for wandering off pretending he had to talk to the venue owner. Might have said before... The drummers big coffin of unfeasibly heavy hardware... Aww naw! Hated when I had to drag that bastid up multiple flights of staircases.

Thing is, if yer on tour & doing it every day, you become solid & made of steel within a week, no kidding.... Apart from the singer, grumblegumblegrrrbah. :rofl:
Called Steve's hardware casket the trunk of pain, but we used it to transport other tonnage when it weren't going up or down stairs.
some of those members are also in DakhaBrakha

Love em. Did not notice it in the first vid but thought that cello player looked familiar. My friend Susan would love one of those hats.

Maddie has cried herself to sleep so I best be kitting up. Takes lots of layers to stay long in the kind of cold we have today.

Hope Ma smiles on us all. Maddie woke up and is laying there moaning pathetically.

BBD

Reaction score
Indeed. You sound like you need a new cardiologist. Now.

that's VERY close . the one I'm trying to find is in a silver box __ and twice the size . someone was explaining to me on the phone , about a " Royale " something overdrive
I just thought it would make a unique gift idea

For goodness sake just get her a Helix Stomp. This is not a joke. You get (very good) models of all these, plus all this as well. But let's say you used nothing but the OD, distortion and fuzz stuff... now, is that bang for buck, or what?

:naughty:

MinotaurMono, StereoKlon® Centaur
Compulsive DriveMono, StereoFulltone® OCD
Valve DriverMono, StereoChandler Tube Driver
Top Secret ODMono, StereoDOD® OD-250
Scream 808Mono, StereoIbanez® TS808 Tube Screamer®
Hedgehog D9Mono, StereoMAXON® SD9 Sonic Distortion
Vermin DistMono, StereoPro Co RAT
Arbitrator FuzzMono, StereoArbiter® Fuzz Face®
Triangle FuzzMono, StereoElectro-Harmonix® Big Muff Pi®
Industrial FuzzMono, StereoZ.Vex Fuzz Factory
Tycoctavia FuzzMono, StereoTycobrahe® Octavia
MegaphoneMono, StereoMegaphone
Added with firmware 1.06
Teemah!Mono, StereoPaul Cochrane Timmy® Overdrive
KWBMono, StereoBenadrian Kowloon Walled Bunny Distortion
BitcrusherMono, StereoLine 6 Original
Added with firmware 2.0
Wringer FuzzMono, StereoGarbage’s special BOSS® FZ-2
Added with firmware 2.10
Stupor ODMono, StereoBOSS® SD-1 Overdrive
Added with firmware 2.20
Obsidian 7000Mono, StereoDarkglass Electronics® Microtubes B7K Ultra bass preamp/overdrive/EQ
Clawthorn DriveMono, StereoWounded Paw Battering Ram bass overdrive
Added with firmware 2.30
Kinky BoostMono, StereoXotic® EP Booster
Thrifter FuzzMono, StereoLine 6 Original
Added with firmware 2.60
Deranged MasterMono, StereoDallas Rangemaster Treble Booster
Deez One VintageMono, StereoBOSS© DS-1 distortion pedal (classic Made-in-Japan version)
Deez One ModMono, StereoBOSS© DS-1 distortion pedal (Keeley mod version)
Added with firmware 2.80
Dhyana DriveMono, StereoHermida Zendrive
Heir ApparentMono, StereoAnalogman Prince of Tone (basically half a King of Tone)
Tone SovereignMono, StereoAnalogman King of Tone V4 (basically two Prince of Tones in one)
ZeroAmp Bass DIMono, StereoTech 21® SansAmp Bass Driver DI V1
Ampeg ScramblerMono, StereoAmpeg® Scrambler Bass Overdrive