The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Beautiful blue sky, but Northwind be spinning my windmill. WFs say we may break freezing Wednesday. Hoping.

We be in Chiefs country. Could not pay me enough to subject myself to single-digit windchill for three+ hours to watch a futball (merikan) game (truth told I wouldn't watch it at home either) though the extra head-gear would mitigate the god-awful racket they are said to make in that place.

I know even less about the gaming world than I know computers. Wierd to think there would be a market for a Goat Simulator. What would one do with such a thing? I probably don't really want to know.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

BBD

Reaction score
When I take photos of a muddy track through the woods it just looks like a sodden, grey mess. When Heidi does, using the same phone, it goes all John Atkinson Grimshaw... Framing, composition, light...

I don't know how she does it, but my visual cortex is clearly crap compared to hers :facepalm:

IMG_20200118_153244 small.jpg

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I'm a decent photographer, but Melinda's just gifted. Great atmospheric photo btw.

A lot of it is framing (composition) and color sense. Not to be sexist, but, to generalize women tend to a have a much better sense of color harmony and saturation.

BBD

Reaction score
Heidi's photos are consistently good and often very good indeed. I don't know if there is a gendered thing here and I don't want to open that particular can of fermenting cat excrement :laugh2: but she has the gift and I don't.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
If I run up on a SCN S-1 populated pickguard for the right price, I'll snag it to put in something....

The SCNs with the S-1 circuit is badass....

Be cool to put one on a dense body with a hardtail and an all BBQ Maple neck...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
They seem to divide opinion in online chatter. I'm really curious now though. The argument seems to be between the 'doesn't sound like a strat' crowd and the happier campers who get fatter stratter tonez they like.
It's the same with the grease bucket circuit and their active mid-boosts, and everything really. The grease bucket harness..many ripped 'em out for "traditional" tone systems. For me they're perfect.

Looking at reviews are certainly helpful but so many times I've had experiences or tried things that proved them "wrong"...but only relative to my tastes. Just in a subjective way. Too many people speak in definitive terms about one thing or another. I find myself doing it too and forget to qualify it. I never mean to (I don't think) but it just comes out that way.

And so many times..if you're the person that tends to swim upstream, you almost take conventional wisdom and just do the opposite to find what you like. :laugh2:

Which I'm sure you already know. Um...so what was my point again? :hmm::laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
They seem to divide opinion in online chatter. I'm really curious now though. The argument seems to be between the 'doesn't sound like a strat' crowd and the happier campers who get fatter stratter tonez they like.
I've read the same....

My position on the different tonez of different Skrats....

*** No two Skrats sound exactly the same. NONE. There are always differences.

That being said, Skrat pickups have been all over the map for heat since the first of em.... Look at ANY winding chart for Fender and you will find the count jumped all over the place and after late 60's became vague on turns.... You change turns and the pickup output changes.... Ok, that means there is NO definitive Skrat sound. All SSS are similar, but identical, bullshit. When I heard the PRS Meyer Skrat, My first thought was that damn thing sounds more like I 'envision' a Skrat sound than Fenders do....

So, if someone says it don't sound like a Skrat, well which damn Skrat are they referring to? Which pickups? Is it a balsa Skrat or does it feel like yankee ash when you pick it up?

Jack Pearson likes the cheap ceramic pickups in Squier Bullets... He says they sound more vintage... I like em too but prefer the VM or CV Squier guitars and basses over Bullets...

*** Some folks are not going to like anything other than pre OCT 64 or so Skrats.... Period.

Some only like big head Skrats... Some only like baccy bursts.... Some only like rosewood Skrats, some only maple... Some only like three-screw, some only 4....

The SCNs sound great.... I changed the strings from the originals believe it or not (unplayed) to Dads and with S-1 switch up, it was all Skrat, 2/4 quacks are there but not quite as brittle as the early Skrat quacks... but still there... Others are pretty much normal but thicker...

With S-1 down, it just grew Nads the size of grapefruit... the 'down 5' settings don't quite fall into the Skrat category really... It's like a damn chameleon... It dances the series parallel combinations of the three pickups and the 2nd tone capacitor is now active and primary capacitor out of circuit......

Good example is #1. S1 up, normal thin brittle Skrat bridge, just thicker... S1 down, oh my homey jeebus... HUGE balls... all five positions are like that...

I don't think S-1 was intended to sound Skrat with it active. That would be rather pointless I would think... It adds so many new faces to a Skrat that were not there...

And the noiseless part is awesome...

I look at the S-1 similar to the psycho switching Kubicki did when he built the Custom Tele I have back in '83 and Seymour wound the pickups specifically for that custom build. Five -way + a toggle.... Both pickups will split... Eight totally different configurations... Pretty insane wiring for 1983.... The non-normals were NOT intended to sound 'Tele', rather add more faces.... One setting sounds very similar to a 335...

Love my other Skrats but this one is the mac daddy by far..... Fender's flagship pretty much in 2009... I was lucky to find it, especially unplayed condition....

BBD

Reaction score
It's the same with the grease bucket circuit and their active mid-boosts, and everything really. The grease bucket harness..many ripped 'em out for "traditional" tone systems. For me they're perfect.
I've come so late to Strats that by accident I've got a very open mind about their tone. I know nothing. I have no cork to sniff :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I feel the same about ceramic Strat pups. At their worst they can have a metallic "bark" where an alnico would have a spank. If you adjust them wrong and then play hard.
But there are a lot of things I like them for.
My favorite are from that late ''70s MIJ kit I mentioned. They're loosely scatter wound which seems to make them airy and have steel base plates which seems to give them bottom. The three in parallel were awesome.