The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
When it comes to weaponized guitars my Artisan would be my choice. It pushes 13lbs and even were my adversary able to put his arms over his noggin they would not keep me from scrambling his gray matter.
My Artisan has a three-piece maple neck with volute so have no doubt bout its survival.
13 pounds sounds like a lot of guitar . while it can't be fun to hold standing up for too long . seems like it would make a dangerous weapon :eek2:
Far as sleep goes, around 7 hours is normal for me. Rarely can sleep past 8 hours. Went on an average of four for years but paid the price. You're gradually killing yourself.
doing too long of a stretch on that little sleep can be an indicator of underlying issues . I might have had more warning of my heart condition if I knew this years back . but I just wrote it off as hyper activity and manic episodes
On the upside, I did manage to create a scale that may actually be new... even my teacher, a GIT grad with godlike knowledge of theory, has never heard of it.
so why would you tell us that . and not post it here ? . I'm ( totally ) guessing that the notes change according to direction . I knew of a Japanese scale a few years ago , that is a different set of notes ascending vs. descending . while it seems like it would sound strange __ it worked well in it's context ( single note runs in a folk music frame ). if I find that pdf online again , I'll drop a link here

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I think a lot of guitarists dismiss the beneficial attributes of a heavy body too quickly. Yes they are a lot to handle standing and performing, but sitting down (like Mr Fripp did live) in the studio it's a negligible issue. A dense body definitely aids sustain by minimizing the dissipation of energy at the bridge and tailpiece. A Strat might be a bazooka but a Norlin LP is like a rocket launcher.
My Custom is about 10 and half pounds, and the 20th anniversary I had was 10. For certain things there is no other guitar that compares. All my opinion of course. The Roland G-707 has a light alder body, but the (graphite? Lyrachord?) composite neck adds to the weight while stabilizing the neck to an incredible degree. Very comparable to a dense guitar. (If not better) Oddly I don't think I ever weighed it. Never even occurred to as an issue until I came to this forum. :laugh2:

Not liking something is one thing, but dissing it across the board when others have used it effectively is just crap. Most of the "classic" rock/fusion/prog/punk etc of the 70s early '80s was done using "Norlin" Gibsons. (For those who used Gibby's) :hmm:

Um...of course everything I say about Tele's is the honest-to-God end-all and be-all. ;)

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
doing too long of a stretch on that little sleep can be an indicator of underlying issues . I might have had more warning of my heart condition if I knew this years back . but I just wrote it off as hyper activity and manic episodes
My years of insomnia ruined my health. I have gone for up to four days with no sleep while continuing to get up and go to work. And more than once. There is a defined condition for this now but I don't recall the name for it. As soon as my head hit the pillow, no matter how physically exhausted, my mind went into overdrive and started racing. It was pretty much hell. That and other factors led to a massive heart attack. Stress is a killer.

79standard

Reaction score
My years of insomnia ruined my health. I have gone for up to four days with no sleep while continuing to get up and go to work. And more than once. There is a defined condition for this now but I don't recall the name for it. As soon as my head hit the pillow, no matter how physically exhausted, my mind went into overdrive and started racing. It was pretty much hell. That and other factors led to a massive heart attack. Stress is a killer.
I know a thing of two about insomnia, but yours sounds a fuggtonne worse than mine, and I'm sorry about that.

79standard

Reaction score
And Christopher, I did not post the scale because my mind is starting to crack, and perhaps I also underestimated the interest.
Either way, I'm sorry for the omission.
Here 'tis:
1, b3, 3 ,#4, 5, b6, b7

And try that "Porky Pig" tuning I mentioned (EBDEBD).

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score

BBD

Reaction score
A dense body definitely aids sustain by minimizing the dissipation of energy at the bridge and tailpiece.
Yes and...

The Roland G-707 has a light alder body, but the (graphite? Lyrachord?) composite neck adds to the weight while stabilizing the neck to an incredible degree. Very comparable to a dense guitar. (If not better)
Yes again ;-) The neck is the largest energy suck from the strings, then the body. But there's a million people out there who remain religiously convinced that unless the body is 'resonating' like a shivering dog, the tone will suck. Never mind the basic physics that shows exactly the opposite (referring only to solid body electric guitars, of course).

...since we're discussing teles...
That's a handsome guitar Tim. Presumably the Schecter zebrawood? Why frankentele though? In the watch world, this means a piece constructed either from several genuine parts from different donor watches or a hybrid using genuine and third-party components (eg. a fake dial with rare markings in an otherwise genuine Rolex to quadruple the value).

79standard

Reaction score
Yes and...

Yes again ;-) The neck is the largest energy suck from the strings, then the body. But there's a million people out there who remain religiously convinced that unless the body is 'resonating' like a shivering dog, the tone will suck. Never mind the basic physics that shows exactly the opposite (referring only to solid body electric guitars, of course).

That's a handsome guitar Tim. Presumably the Schecter zebrawood? Why frankentele though? In the watch world, this means a piece constructed either from several genuine parts from different donor watches or a hybrid using genuine and third-party components (eg. a fake dial with rare markings in an otherwise genuine Rolex to quadruple the value).
Glad you like it, Dom!
a friend of mine bought the schecter zebra tele (one of 4 made) circa '79, then parted it out circa 1987 and put the parts up for sale at the local store.
I saw that wood goodness and snapped it up immediately.
The next several decades were The Great Neck Swap Frenzy trying to find a neck that was worthy.
This is the final of several builds in the 33 years that I have owned it.

The body is a mischeivous and unstable piece of wood and, while gorgeous, demonstrates why they only made 4 with the grain going the wrong way.

Still, it is one of the Truly Nice Things in my life and I am proud to be its caretaker.

BBD

Reaction score
Sorry for the hiatus - had to go shopping in the freezing rain before the really bad weather kicks in from about now...

The next several decades were The Great Neck Swap Frenzy trying to find a neck that was worthy.
This is the final of several builds in the 33 years that I have owned it.
This is an epic relationship and speaks of deep love. I've only been with Heidi for 34 years (although to be fair, she came stock with one of the nicest necks I've ever seen).

The body is a mischeivous and unstable piece of wood and, while gorgeous, demonstrates why they only made 4 with the grain going the wrong way.
They should have used it as a cap rather than a one-piece body by the sound of it. But it wouldn't look as good.

Still, it is one of the Truly Nice Things in my life and I am proud to be its caretaker.
It's always nice when things find their home, I think. It's daft, I know, but the sight of neglected, under-appreciated things makes me sad, as if they were sentient.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

And Christopher, I did not post the scale because my mind is starting to crack, and perhaps I also underestimated the interest.
Either way, I'm sorry for the omission.
Here 'tis:
1, b3, 3 ,#4, 5, b6, b7

And try that "Porky Pig" tuning I mentioned (EBDEBD).

I spent some time with that scale this morning . Very Interesting __ and made me want to play some off brand jazz . I also played around with that tuning , but going to explore it more later today . that is . after I pick up some more single strings at the music store . the sound of it reminded me of a Sonic Youth song , and then I went into that tuning E G D G E D ( which is supposed to be all down tuned . as in Es Ad2 Ds Gs Bd7 Ed2 ) . but things got messy and I broke a couple pf strings :laugh2:

the reason I like alternative tunings so much __ is that it can allow for maximum use of drone strings . was worth but not necessary breaking a couple of strings this morning to play around with this song again

Latest Threads