The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I must admit when I listen to Holdsworth I'm not hearing an A5/16k monster HB...

same here . listening to the Road Games album ( my personal favorite ) , I would never think that the guitar work was coming from hot pickups . but when pushed to a certain level __ the tone becomes so saturated / compressed that it's so smooth

also . may have been around the time that he was working with synth guitars :hmm:

79standard

Reaction score
It is called the Metal Fatigue. However, Allan was known for using a much lower output pickup for most o his career: a double screw neck 59 in the bridge position.
You're half right.
He did use lower-wind pickups like DiMarzio PAFs, but I'm pretty sure I know the name of my pickup, since I read the label on the back and everything!
:thumb:

79standard

Reaction score
same here . listening to the Road Games album ( my personal favorite ) , I would never think that the guitar work was coming from hot pickups . but when pushed to a certain level __ the tone becomes so saturated / compressed that it's so smooth

also . may have been around the time that he was working with synth guitars :hmm:
I don't think he started using protogonzoid pickups until well after the wonderful Road Games album.
All his classic LPs were done with relatively low-output humbuckers, including the t-tops in his Soft Machine days.

All I know is my 16K Duncan Custom Shop Allan Holdsworth is neither super loud nor super dark, and seems to have just the right amount of everything.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Foggy and cool here, but considering the date a pretty good day.

Another of Henry's tunes we recorded in Kevin's basement in 2008. Guitar is the left-hand one from my avatar through Kevin's Fender Pro-Sonic.
https://soundcloud.com/cmh6122%2Fharvey-blue-fly
And since this be tele-tuesday here is one from about 1988 in Steve's basement. Mike is doing the solo on a tele. Don't know what he is playing through. I am playing my Artisan through an original tweed deluxe. Except for the lead is a live take. A friend Pat Recob played bass, and a friend Bernie Heaney played pinnaner.
https://soundcloud.com/cmh6122%2F01-beautiful-night
To think that Mike, Steve and I started playing together in 86. That band lasted till 90. Steve, Henry and I stated playing together about 93, and Mike came back on board in 97. We lost Steve in 2011 to cancer but still gather near every Thursday.
Lots of history in our clown car.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.