The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Started the tenth day of 2020 with a boomer here in T-town. Don't know how much rain we got- enough that I will spend much of this day cleaning dog feet, but Northwind is expected early this after and the winter storm warning starts bout sundown. We are in the 4-6 inch snow belt.
Weather Fairies be saying windchill tomorrow morning will be 0 to -10. Will be wearing my flannels tonight.
Oh well. I am dog-sitting Kevin this weekend so there will be two buddies snuggled up to me.

Too early for math and doubt I could actually do it with a calculator, but my artilleryman sense of proportion gets your drift.

Money is to be made and money buys power, proliferates disinformation and convinces the easily misled that the only agency with a chance of shielding them from Money's interest is the greatest threat to their prosperity.
Amazing that aid to whomever and its attendant abuse is always the rallying cry of how wasteful government is, but since cutting those programs would also devastate large swathes of the faithful mostly just gut those agencies responsible for clean air, water, safe food, a safe workplace since they seem most likely to interfere with Money's interest.

On the subject of pickups I have never fiddled with what was on the guitar. The only choice I made was putting a set of matched Gibson 57 Classic Plus in the guitar dad and I built. I must admit that if I had money to burn I would swap the stock pickups in my Carvin for a set of Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

Thanks Sid and a souncloud from me.
https://soundcloud.com/cmh6122%2F01-it-was-in-my-eyes
Hope Ma smiles of us all.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

Oddly the DiMarzio Super Distortion isn't potted either. But can't say I've ever had much of a squeal problem with them...if ever. Maybe it's the tension and evenness of winding..couldn't be the ceramics vs alnicos I don't think.
My olde tyme Super D squealed like a piggie until I had Jeff from Highorder Pickups do a partial dip.

I think that it's pre '75 that they were unpotted . a favorite of Joan Jett __ but at the point that people were using hot glue and beeswax to " upgrade " the pickups . Dimarzio made the change

I was reading an interview with Steve Stevens a couple of weeks ago , about the ones that he had Bare Knuckle make for him . the company will make any of their picjkups ( upon special request ) unpotted . although there's a few in the collection that you probably wouldn't want that option with

I had a set of super sparkly Johnny Marr ( Jag ) pickups from them . can't imagine how bad those would sound without the wax :eek2:

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Right...

Key West, Republic of Chonkadoohaa, or whitever yi call it. Wee last bit of Florida. Succeeded from the States, declared war on the states & surrendered after strafing ... You think I make this shit up?

Watch it ya bastids.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

I think that it's pre '75 that they were unpotted . a favorite of Joan Jett __ but at the point that people were using hot glue and beeswax to " upgrade " the pickups . Dimarzio made the change

I was reading an interview with Steve Stevens a couple of weeks ago , about the ones that he had Bare Knuckle make for him . the company will make any of their picjkups ( upon special request ) unpotted . although there's a few in the collection that you probably wouldn't want that option with

I had a set of super sparkly Johnny Marr ( Jag ) pickups from them . can't imagine how bad those would sound without the wax :eek2:
Joan Jett? Blurgh!!:shock:

Steve Stevens...also a big fan of the Roland G-707. Probably the first person I saw using one on Flesh for Fantasy. Although I had read about them early on. Retail price for the whole system upon release? $10,000! I got mine about 2-3 years later when the price had dropped significantly because they weren't catching on. They weren't perceived as metal guitars.

If you're just recording it's not so much of a problem with SDs, although it is there. It's the higher and higher volume of larger and larger venues that prompted the home brew and manufacturer potting.
Lots of people were SD users, they were pretty endemic, even in some notable fusion players. Al Dimeola, Ace Frehley, a whole bunch of players.
I had a Sd-1 at the bridge and a patent sticker t-top in the neck of my Custom for a few years. It's pretty much the ideal hard rock combo for me. But later decided I preferred to have a decent PAF at the bridge because it goes back to earlier tones but I can still get there with hard rock stuff too.

T-top plus SD = the sound of a lot of early metal.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Here's a fun GCSE maths question for you:

Country B has a population of 64.6 million and an electorate of 46.5 million. During a referendum, 72.2% of the electorate vote on an issue. 37% of the 72.2% who voted vote in favour. Is this a majority or a minority of the electorate?

For an extra two marks, what percentage of the population does this represent and is it a majority or a minority?

:naughty:
72%? That's admirable. Our last national election, 61% of eligible voters voted, and the minority of that won. Why bother? I wouldn't exactly call that "the will of the people". :laugh2:

Last edited:

Fardwark

Reaction score
Did! And some day, I too will be Minister of Rum :laugh2:
Never showed the 2nd bit efter the adverts. The dancing naked bit & the silly song tune in his head so he disnae gee a fucko. Just very human. I liked that.

Who wants to see ma hairy plumbs jigglin' roun the heather? Full hoose approval! Thought so. Right then...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Right...

Key West, Republic of Chonkadoohaa, or whitever yi call it. Wee last bit of Florida. Succeeded from the States, declared war on the states & surrendered after staffing ... You think I make this shit up?

Watch it ya bastids.

My son lived in Key West working for a diving service for a couple of years. The cost of living was, let's say, prohibitive. Still, he managed to save up about 10,000 by rough camping. Eventually he got a tiny "apartment" (one room) which was basically a small building back on a larger house lot. He got a second job as night security in a gated community. Basically riding around in a golf cart all night.
He said the vibe down there was definitely different. The conch republic is basically a bunch of rich snowflakes. :laugh2:

cmh6122

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and yes Dom that be me. That gun had 230ish miles on it when I became the driver. By the time I had left for OCS I had put almost 2500 miles on it. Would not even hazard a guess how many times I pulled that lanyard.

Fardwark

Reaction score
My son lived in Key West working for a diving service for a couple of years. The cost of living was, let's say, prohibitive. Still, he managed to save up about 10,000 by rough camping. Eventually he got a tiny "apartment" (one room) which was basically a small building back on a larger house lot. He got a second job as night security in a gated community. Basically riding around in a golf cart all night.
He said the vibe down there was definitely different. The conch republic is basically a bunch of rich snowflakes. :laugh2:
He's fuckin' loaded. Has told us all fer many years. Knew you can't be skint & homeless there or the pies will go bananas, like pies do. Pies. :laugh2:

Whit were we talking aboot again, apart from my impending kissage. Piella? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
He's fuckin' loaded. Has told us all fer many years. Knew you can't be skint & homeless there or the pies will go bananas, like pies do. Pies. :laugh2:

Whit were we talking aboot again, apart from my impending kissage. Piella? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Sure. That's why he literally lived in a tree for 16 months. :laugh2:

Not my idea for him to head down there believe me. But young people, they be impulsive (you may remember). He landed on his feet though...worked his ass off. Good experience. Came home with a tidy nest egg he did.

Can't call him a chip off the old block though because I never could save any money. :naughty:

Latest Threads