The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
What Frank said.
And thanks for sharing the pic of your friend.
Somehow it makes me feel like I know him, and/or like I really want to have known him.

You do him honor, my friend, and in doing so, you do yourself proud too.
:thumb:

As far as hippie/punk hybrids, I was born in 1960, so I have maybe a wee bit of Sex Pistols mixed in with all that Strawberry Alarm Clock.

And a big HELL YEAH to the band Focus.
Akkerman said (paraphrase) "we write all these wonderful classical-rock pieces and all anybody wants to hear is some piece of shit that took us 5 minutes to write."
Was me that said it Tim

Aye well. Still fucking love it Tim. Give us a kiss.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I am pondering aloud again so your call to read, skip, throw rocks, ignore, or punch my poochie lipped line below.......
:)

Multiple folks are winding unbalanced coil buckers.... Some think it is magic....Not necessarily so in my opinion...

PAFs had a good chance of being out of balance by a few to a couple hunnert turns or more probably...

WInders back then weren't as critical as the winders now...

Just for general info consumption:

When you see PAF, it is simply a copy of ONE PAF that winder may have.
All PAFs were not magic. All PAF repros today ain't necessarily magic.
Magic is in the ears of the listener....
Different company's PAFs are copies of DIFFERENT PAFs...
They get their hands on a PAF or three, figure out which they like the best and unwind it to count turns and examine every facet of it.... Measure gauss, determine contruction technique and material composition/measurements....
They then try to clone it....

All PAFs were not identical by a long shot... I remember reading a response to a question about turns from waaaaay back. "We wound em till they looked about full."
Now with test equipment and digital counters, they can far more accurately reproduce a specific pickup....

Will it sound identical? Hell no. It ain't in the same guitar.... but it will most likely sound very similar and pretty damn sporty in a good guitar..... I don't know a tenth of what James (Rewind) knows about PAFs or pickups in general, but I can look up a 'typical' pickup, order parts, dig out our winder, and wind to those specs.... LCD counter makes it easy determine turns... Do a bit of soldering, assemble, and turn on the wax pot...Probably be a good pickup... I can't do what he does though... He's built more pickups than Carter has liver pills...

I am not picky, nor am I fond of laying out looong cash for boutique.... I ain't paying that much... I bought Tone Emporium PAFs for my Hamer Monaco and am tickled pink bone deep with em.... Sounds great to me....about a hunnert chippies for both.... Hell yeah.... I was sick of the hot ass pickups in it... So I changed to much milder PAF copies...
In my Goldie with the newer Gib minis (twin blades, slick tops, no poles).... I could NOT bond with those, especially the bridge.... Sucked ass to me as I had nothing to adjust to balance strings, slick top).... I bought a set of Guitar Fetish traditional layout minis with pole screws like the Deluxe came out with in late 60s..Hell to the yeah, Rusty!!! Damn nice pickups.... Over at a bud's studio as my Goldie is requested very often by his first call guitarist... and HE has a 57 at home... He loves the way mine records better.....

I ain't paying mega bucks for pickups.... One of my Lesters has TTops.... Folks have tried to buy em... Nawt. NFS...ever... They just happen to have come in the thing and sound good. I really don't care what they are... Last Lester I bought a few weeks ago has the 460 series in it. I like them too. They don't sound like TTops but I don't give a shit. I WANT it to sound like itself and not to try to capture some elusive mojo of a different guitar. I like THAT guitar as is...

I like the individual personalities each of my guitars and basses have.... Let em be who they be.... ;)

79standard

Reaction score
Lots deeper....

A real low buhbuhbuhbup..... 16ths and qtr rests ||: xxxx & & & :||

Range is on the other side of base about 7mi or so from the house...
I'm riffing on the A10s that I saw practicing strafing runs circa 1983.
Those weren't 16ths, more like Dick Dale's "mandolin picking."
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
That was the first (and, so far, only) time I heard a Vulcan, and I about shat a cinder block.
:shock:

79standard

Reaction score
I am pondering aloud again so your call to read, skip, throw rocks, ignore, or punch my poochie lipped line below.......
:)

Multiple folks are winding unbalanced coil buckers.... Some think it is magic....Not necessarily so in my opinion...

PAFs had a good chance of being out of balance by a few to a couple hunnert turns or more probably...

WInders back then weren't as critical as the winders now...

Just for general info consumption:

When you see PAF, it is simply a copy of ONE PAF that winder may have.
All PAFs were not magic. All PAF repros today ain't necessarily magic.
Magic is in the ears of the listener....
Different company's PAFs are copies of DIFFERENT PAFs...
They get their hands on a PAF or three, figure out which they like the best and unwind it to count turns and examine every facet of it.... Measure gauss, determine contruction technique and material composition/measurements....
They then try to clone it....

All PAFs were not identical by a long shot... I remember reading a response to a question about turns from waaaaay back. "We wound em till they looked about full."
Now with test equipment and digital counters, they can far more accurately reproduce a specific pickup....

Will it sound identical? Hell no. It ain't in the same guitar.... but it will most likely sound very similar and pretty damn sporty in a good guitar..... I don't know a tenth of what James (Rewind) knows about PAFs or pickups in general, but I can look up a 'typical' pickup, order parts, dig out our winder, and wind to those specs.... LCD counter makes it easy determine turns... Do a bit of soldering, assemble, and turn on the wax pot...Probably be a good pickup... I can't do what he does though... He's built more pickups than Carter has liver pills...

I am not picky, nor am I fond of laying out looong cash for boutique.... I ain't paying that much... I bought Tone Emporium PAFs for my Hamer Monaco and am tickled pink bone deep with em.... Sounds great to me....about a hunnert chippies for both.... Hell yeah.... I was sick of the hot ass pickups in it... So I changed to much milder PAF copies...
In my Goldie with the newer Gib minis (twin blades, slick tops, no poles).... I could NOT bond with those, especially the bridge.... Sucked ass to me as I had nothing to adjust to balance strings, slick top).... I bought a set of Guitar Fetish traditional layout minis with pole screws like the Deluxe came out with in late 60s..Hell to the yeah, Rusty!!! Damn nice pickups.... Over at a bud's studio as my Goldie is requested very often by his first call guitarist... and HE has a 57 at home... He loves the way mine records better.....

I ain't paying mega bucks for pickups.... One of my Lesters has TTops.... Folks have tried to buy em... Nawt. NFS...ever... They just happen to have come in the thing and sound good. I really don't care what they are... Last Lester I bought a few weeks ago has the 460 series in it. I like them too. They don't sound like TTops but I don't give a shit. I WANT it to sound like itself and not to try to capture some elusive mojo of a different guitar. I like THAT guitar as is...

I like the individual personalities each of my guitars and basses have.... Let em be who they be.... ;)
I hear you re: good cheap pickups.
As I may have blathered before, the very best (to me) PAF-style pickups I have ever heard came stock in my mid-nineties made-in-Indonesia Daisy Rock Elite.
They do the PAF Trick: clarity and chime with a certain rowdiness and "thrust."

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I'm riffing on the A10s that I saw practicing strafing runs circa 1983.
Those weren't 16ths, more like Dick Dale's "mandolin picking."
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
That was the first (and, so far, only) time I heard a Vulcan, and I about shat a cinder block.
:shock:

The hogs have chain guns... Motorized multibarrel gatling guns....

The Apaches have a single barrel 30mm cannon underneath.... about four rounds of 30mm will do in most anything.... Newer modern heavy armor tank, the gunner will light it up with a missile... Less than that and the pilot can light it up with the 30...only takes a round or two to tear shit up... 30mm is a big ass round of some of the hardest stuff out there... It can punch through most anything....

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Eddie Cohran's pairing always sounded like a cool idea to me.
image.jpeg

hell to the yeah with the Dynasonic in the bridge . but again . I'm pretty sure that the original ones were microphonic . which is a good thing . TV Jones makes the T - Armond version now . those are potted __ unless you special order them otherwise

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Any unpotted pups are microphonic to a degree. And I like that. I grew up with unpotted microphonic pickups and it took me awhile to get used to the tar backs and potted stuff when introduced...sounding wooly in comparison, to me anyway. Potted pups tend to negate a lot of the resonant properties picked up from the rest of the system (body,hardware etc) which after all is the point. Bad design and build makes them impractically microphonic,..as in cheap early MIJs like Teisco. They have their applications (Ry Cooder liked em for instance) but tend not to be versatile.

I have a t-top and a Shaw on my Custom. Perfect for me. Both unpotted. It's the sound for me. It's '60s and ''70s Rock tone.

The two unpotted Gibsons I have on that Corsair I mentioned. Extremely detailed, chimey, clean and crunchy. They do have an issue when really cranked though. So that's out of it's ballpark, metal and such. Scream, yes. But in a shrieks a la Mick Ronson way. Which happens to be one of my fav guitarists.

I also have potted pups on several guitars and like them in ways that are different than the others. I don't use a screwdriver if I need a hammer and that's how I see it. The guitar I use the most is a Washburn Idol with heavily potted Eliminator pickups, but with a Varitone tone control. Which changes the coil relationship on each pickup, varieing it from series to parallel. Rarely ever squeals, feeds back under control, but is nowhere near as airy and detailed as the unpotted pups. Honduran mahogany body and set neck. Has a BuzzFeiten nut, and a Roland GK2. 18:1 Grover gears, but it's really a "cheap" guitar relatively speaking that many guys on this forum would sneer at.

Oddly the DiMarzio Super Distortion isn't potted either. But can't say I've ever had much of a squeal problem with them...if ever. Maybe it's the tension and evenness of winding..couldn't be the ceramics vs alnicos I don't think.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
Any unpotted pups are microphonic to a degree. And I like that. I grew up with unpotted microphonic pickups and it took me awhile to get used to the tar backs and potted stuff when introduced...sounding wooly in comparison, to me anyway. Potted pups tend to negate a lot of the resonant properties picked up from othe rest of the system (body,hardware etc) which after all is the point. Bad design and build makes them impracticality microphonic,..as in cheap early MIJs like Teisco. They have their applications (Ry Cooder liked em for instance) but tend not to be versatile.

I have a t-top and a Shaw on my Custom. Perfect for me. Both unpotted. It's the sound for me. It's '60s and ''70s Rock tone.

The two unpotted Gibsons I have on that Corsair I mentioned. Extremely detailed, chimey, clean and crunchy. They do have an issue when really cranked though. So that's out of it's ballpark, metal and such. Scream, yes. But in a shrieks a la Mick Ronson way. Which happens to be one of my fav guitarists.

I also have potted pups on several guitars and like them in ways that are different than the others. I don't use a screwdriver if I need a hammer and that's how I see it. The guitar I use the most is a Washburn Idol with heavily potted Eliminator pickups, but with a Varitone tone control. Which changes the coil relationship on each pickup, varieing it from series to parellel. Rarely ever squeals, feeds back under control, but is nowhere near as airy and detailed as the unpotted pups. Honduran mahogany body and set neck. Has a BuzzFeiten nut, and a Roland GK2. 18:1 Grover gears, but it's really a "cheap" guitar relatively speaking that many guys on this forum would sneer at.

Oddly the DiMarzio Super Distortion isn't potted either. But can't say I've ever had much of a squeal problem with them...if ever. Maybe it's the tension and evenness of winding..couldn't be the ceramics vs alnicos I don't think.
My olde tyme Super D squealed like a piggie until I had Jeff from Highorder Pickups do a partial dip.
He just goes deep enough to secure the magnet and base and the lower third of the coil, preserving most of the charm of unpotted pickups but eliminating that squeal, which to me is like having scalding water poured into my ears.

BBD

Reaction score
Goodness what a lot of posts since yesterday... :eek:

I've done the old Nashville trick of removing the poles from DiMarzios, and while it doesn't make it sound like a single-coil, it does indeed open the sound way up.
Interesting - didn't even know that was a thing.

A lot of it depends on context, though.
I once tried a strat with stock singles in the bridge and middle and an F-tron in the neck.
Compared to the treble-monster strat pups, that chimey 'bucker in the neck seemed like a mud bomb. If the owner had put that Ftron in the *bridge*, it would have really been amazing.
That makes sense.

Is that the one they used to call Puff the Magic Dragon? Or am I muddling my rotary machineguns up?

The two unpotted Gibsons I have on that Corsair I mentioned. Extremely detailed, chimey, clean and crunchy.
I've got low wind PAF clones from OX4 in my LP and they are the biz. Just as you describe.

Mark (OX4) does not pot and states that tension and generally high tolerances in construction are crucial to avoid squeal at volume. Which again makes perfect sense.

I sense the presence of a Thumpalumpacus.
Me too... perhaps a manifestation is coming... we must be ready...

Maybe that's what all the drone shit is about :eek:

79standard

Reaction score
Goodness what a lot of posts since yesterday... :eek:

Interesting - didn't even know that was a thing.

That makes sense.

Is that the one they used to call Puff the Magic Dragon? Or am I muddling my rotary machineguns up?

I've got low wind PAF clones from OX4 in my LP and they are the biz. Just as you describe.

Mark (OX4) does not pot and states that tension and generally high tolerances in construction are crucial to avoid squeal at volume. Which again makes perfect sense.

Me too... perhaps a manifestation is coming... we must be ready...

Maybe that's what all the drone shit is about :eek:
Hi, Dom!
You are correct, sir:
"Puff" = Vulcan = chain gun
...and in 7.62 size they call it a minigun (all things being relative) or a "leaf blower."