The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

79standard

Reaction score
Just curious...Anybody have any knowledge or experience with unbalanced coil humbuckers like the old Matsumoku Magnaflux?View attachment 431736View attachment 431737
I made a deliberately unbalanced humbucker by swapping coils between 2 DiMarzios: a Super D and a FRED (I still spell it as an acronym like when they first introduced it.)

The wildly mismatched coils did everything I hoped for, creating a really cool sound, unusual but solid and useful. But what a PiTA it was! DMZ uses a lot of hotmelt glue, y'all!

79standard

Reaction score
I've played them but's been ages, not a guitar I owned, and wasn't as knowledgable about the nuance of sech thangs at the time I'm sure. I surmise they're akin to noiseless single coils more than anything as the second coil serves as noise cancelling primarily and doesn't contribute to the sound as much.
A Voutoob review I found suggests they lack sustain but are detailed. I have a Westone Corsair, a beautiful guitar, that I bought at a yard sale for ten bucks a decade ago. It was intact but the electronics were missing It's an excellent Strat Killer/Supastrat. I've tried various pups in it and all sound good from cheap Chinese Superdistirtion knockoffs, MIJ single coils, to now, a '75 T-top and a mystery Gibson that I assume is an early 490T as it's unpotted. The sound is sterling clean, exceptional even, but doesn't seem to suit the look of the guitar (if that makes any difference :laugh2:)
The original pickups (gleaned from ads at the time) were unbalanced ACTIVE pickups,which sound like a very exotic animal to me. The Magnaflux 6s are impossible to find it seems. I have a yen every once in a while to restore it but it's no great imperative to do so. Think I'll just throw in a 70s Superdistortion and something else. :hmm:

Mine looks exactly like this sans original pups. It's a looker...if you like that sort of thing. (I DO)View attachment 431744
I have a seventies Super D in creme if you think that'd work. MLP discount.

79standard

Reaction score
Always liked that Shire radio skit Phil done about WW2 fighter pilots. Always had me in tears of laughter, seriously funny. His Vasco character is a scream.

Glad he didn't know me at the time or I might have ended up in it, probably stuck on the runway due to the weight of my female co-pilot. :rofl:
If I needed a "plus-sized" copilot, I'd be very happy with Ashley Graham or Lizzo.
:D

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
From what I've seen John C. Reilly especially surprised me. Always thought he was a goofball and a lightweight. He seems invested in his character and did a great job. Doesn't look a thing like Hardy in real life really, but is convincing.
Fuck aye! Was asking Stoo who had seen it already & was eager for us to watch it, who is playing Ollie? We got it after half an hour of drunken shouting actors names. Him from Talladega Nights. Aye, John C Reilly. He's feckin good!

Kind of like this huge font, feck the spectacle industry. What did I do?

79standard

Reaction score
no experience with those . but I wonder if the same effect is achieved by removing the screws ( adjustable poles ) ? . I've played those __ and it's NOT the same as playing a single coil pickup . although that's what it's supposed to be like
I've done the old Nashville trick of removing the poles from DiMarzios, and while it doesn't make it sound like a single-coil, it does indeed open the sound way up.

79standard

Reaction score
is there an Army or National Guard base nearby ? they might be doing test flights and exercises . in this area , there's usually a notification for these __ so as not to cause panic . sometimes there will be as many as 10 in the air

which is kind of scary to see
Dude, I live near an ANGB, tell me about it! :rofl:
...except for us, it isn't swarms of choppers, it's occasional swarms of those humongous 4-engine turboprop transports.

Eventually, someone told me it was periodic practice for takeoff and landing, which would explain the constant repetition of Up, Big Loopy Circles, and Down.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I made a deliberately unbalanced humbucker by swapping coils between 2 DiMarzios: a Super D and a FRED (I still spell it as an acronym like when they first introduced it.)

The wildly mismatched coils did everything I hoped for, creating a really cool sound, unusual but solid and useful. But what a PiTA it was! DMZ uses a lot of hotmelt glue, y'all!
You're way more ambitious than I am crazy man. :laugh2:

I'm thinking the unbalanced active Magnafluxes would be fairly unique sounding. Guess I'll never know cause I've never seen even one for sale. I guess that explains why someone would rob them from the Corsair I bought. :dunno:

Either that or they sucked hard and they gutted it to put in something better.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Sorry mate.

Mine is Wheelan. Wheelin is beelin coz his Maw is steamin... <That happened when I was a kid & even worse was true.

Are we cool?
I was joking with ya . I knew yer last name already and was saving it fer leverage in a pinch btw. :laugh2:

I was riffing on the leather boy pic.... "clubs"...disco...you know.

79standard

Reaction score
on the topic of pickups . has anyone here used an original ( meaning not potted ) Filtertron on high gain ? amazing sound that you have to do some chasing after . but wow

my friend is doing some repair to an old Gretsch ( '76 CG ) in his shop this weekend . the owner wants to sell . and I'm thinking of buying
They are legendary for chime.
(The most famous example is "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the rest of the Who's Next album. Then a decade went by and Brian Setzer reminded everybody how cool they were.)

In the humbucker kingdom they are kings of sparkle.

A lot of it depends on context, though.
I once tried a strat with stock singles in the bridge and middle and an F-tron in the neck.
Compared to the treble-monster strat pups, that chimey 'bucker in the neck seemed like a mud bomb. If the owner had put that Ftron in the *bridge*, it would have really been amazing.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
A friend in the county counted a dozen so far. There's a small airfield here, probably not suited for that scale of an exercise. Any military bases are pretty far away.

As far as notifying people...nope. Nobody I've talked to. But maybe panic is the point?:Ohno:

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get ya. :laugh2:
That would freak me out, I ain't gonna lie.

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
I was joking with ya . I knew yer last name already and was saving it fer leverage in a pinch btw. :laugh2:

I was riffing on the leather boy. "clubs"...disco...you know.
I was joking about you joking about me jo...

Fucker just kicked me in the love spuds. OHHHHHHH Them rattling ball bearings. You know me, don't mind a bit of bastard disco.

79standard

Reaction score
No increased flying/testing here.... We have Apaches from hell here about 2.5 from my house.
My cousin Kurt flies those.
What a fiftysomething dude is doing flying to and from Afghanistan is beyond my imagination.
Love that guy... a soft-spoken rational crazyman just like his Green Beret dad who became a stuntman/racer: in other words, doing batshit crazy stuff in a calmly rational way with maximum prepartation and laser focus, so then maybe it doesn't seem so insane.
He's his daddy's boy, all right.
:thumb:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
They are legendary for chime.
(The most famous example is "Won't Get Fooled Again" and the rest of the Who's Next album. Then a decade went by and Brian Setzer reminded everybody how cool they were.)

In the humbucker kingdom they are kings of sparkle.

A lot of it depends on context, though.
I once tried a strat with stock singles in the bridge and middle and an F-tron in the neck.
Compared to the treble-monster strat pups, that chimey 'bucker on the neck seemed like a mud bomb. If the owner had put that Ftron in the *bridge*, it would have really been amazing.

Eddie Cohran's pairing always sounded like a cool idea to me. And in a slightly oblique comparison, Tom Sholz's SD/soap bar combo too.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

79standard

Reaction score
Sounds like maybe your friend suffered a heart attack Sid. I had my widow maker at 47 so it's possible. If I had been on a trail, especially alone, that would have been it for me. No past evidence of heart problems either. A tiny piece of plaque moving through the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's very sobering to lose a friend. We lose them, but we also feel our mortality in their passing. Lots to digest.

Sorry you lost a pal.
What Frank said.
And thanks for sharing the pic of your friend.
Somehow it makes me feel like I know him, and/or like I really want to have known him.

You do him honor, my friend, and in doing so, you do yourself proud too.
:thumb:

As far as hippie/punk hybrids, I was born in 1960, so I have maybe a wee bit of Sex Pistols mixed in with all that Strawberry Alarm Clock.

And a big HELL YEAH to the band Focus.
Akkerman said (paraphrase) "we write all these wonderful classical-rock pieces and all anybody wants to hear is some piece of shit that took us 5 minutes to write."