The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
If you haven't seen this film yet... Please do so. Didn't want to but smiled, laughed & burst a gut from finish to end. Beautiful film.

Got forced to watch the latest Superman film afterwards & I fucking hated it, Me & Davy nodded off half way through.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
If you haven't seen this film yet... Please do so. Didn't want to but smiled, laughed & burst a gut from finish to end. Beautiful film.

Got forced to watch the latest Superman film afterwards & I fucking hated it, Me & Davy nodded off half way through.
Thanks for reminding me. I really wanted to see that. The clips I've seen look excellent.

79standard

Reaction score
Just curious...Anybody have any knowledge or experience with unbalanced coil humbuckers like the old Matsumoku Magnaflux?View attachment 431736View attachment 431737
I made a deliberately unbalanced humbucker by swapping coils between 2 DiMarzios: a Super D and a FRED (I still spell it as an acronym like when they first introduced it.)

The wildly mismatched coils did everything I hoped for, creating a really cool sound, unusual but solid and useful. But what a PiTA it was! DMZ uses a lot of hotmelt glue, y'all!

79standard

Reaction score
I've played them but's been ages, not a guitar I owned, and wasn't as knowledgable about the nuance of sech thangs at the time I'm sure. I surmise they're akin to noiseless single coils more than anything as the second coil serves as noise cancelling primarily and doesn't contribute to the sound as much.
A Voutoob review I found suggests they lack sustain but are detailed. I have a Westone Corsair, a beautiful guitar, that I bought at a yard sale for ten bucks a decade ago. It was intact but the electronics were missing It's an excellent Strat Killer/Supastrat. I've tried various pups in it and all sound good from cheap Chinese Superdistirtion knockoffs, MIJ single coils, to now, a '75 T-top and a mystery Gibson that I assume is an early 490T as it's unpotted. The sound is sterling clean, exceptional even, but doesn't seem to suit the look of the guitar (if that makes any difference :laugh2:)
The original pickups (gleaned from ads at the time) were unbalanced ACTIVE pickups,which sound like a very exotic animal to me. The Magnaflux 6s are impossible to find it seems. I have a yen every once in a while to restore it but it's no great imperative to do so. Think I'll just throw in a 70s Superdistortion and something else. :hmm:

Mine looks exactly like this sans original pups. It's a looker...if you like that sort of thing. (I DO)View attachment 431744
I have a seventies Super D in creme if you think that'd work. MLP discount.

79standard

Reaction score
Always liked that Shire radio skit Phil done about WW2 fighter pilots. Always had me in tears of laughter, seriously funny. His Vasco character is a scream.

Glad he didn't know me at the time or I might have ended up in it, probably stuck on the runway due to the weight of my female co-pilot. :rofl:
If I needed a "plus-sized" copilot, I'd be very happy with Ashley Graham or Lizzo.
:D

Latest Threads