The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Thank you Charlie.

For the record, I do know how to use op. cit. but forked myself in the foot by starting a new comment then deciding to move it UP the thread and insert it into my earlier reply to Edro. But I forgot to remove the op. cit. or change it to 'see below'. And magically, that tiny little editorial error instantly became the focus instead of what we actually know about the Brexit-voting demographic.

I don't want to re-open that discussion but I do want to say that I try to deal in what is known. When accused of being patronising, I produced evidence that I was not being patronising at all, just accurate.

That is all.
John (Vasco) is a notoriously contentious old fellow. :laugh2:

Although we do get along...prolly a good thing there's a couple thousand miles and an ocean betwixt us. :naughty:

John chimes in to give me the PRECISE and correct mileage between The Bluegrass and Norwich in three...two...:shock:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I've played them but's been ages, not a guitar I owned, and wasn't as knowledgable about the nuance of sech thangs at the time I'm sure. I surmise they're akin to noiseless single coils more than anything as the second coil serves as noise cancelling primarily and doesn't contribute to the sound as much.
A Voutoob review I found suggests they lack sustain but are detailed. I have a Westone Corsair, a beautiful guitar, that I bought at a yard sale for ten bucks a decade ago. It was intact but the electronics were missing It's an excellent Strat Killer/Supastrat. I've tried various pups in it and all sound good from cheap Chinese Superdistirtion knockoffs, MIJ single coils, to now, a '75 T-top and a mystery Gibson that I assume is an early 490T as it's unpotted. The sound is sterling clean, exceptional even, but doesn't seem to suit the look of the guitar (if that makes any difference :laugh2:)
The original pickups (gleaned from ads at the time) were unbalanced ACTIVE pickups,which sound like a very exotic animal to me. The Magnaflux 6s are impossible to find it seems. I have a yen every once in a while to restore it but it's no great imperative to do so. Think I'll just throw in a 70s Superdistortion and something else. :hmm:

Mine looks exactly like this sans original pups. It's a looker...if you like that sort of thing. (I DO)
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Then let's not stir him up. I have very little interest in working through the diversionary rhetorical tricks playbook with anybody these days. I know it back to front.
He was an original cast member of this thread so he's welcome to come and go as he pleases of course. I do like to wind him up though, as he does me. :laugh2:

(And virtually everyone else) :shock:

My point is, it's not just you. He and Phil used to go at it tooth and claw. Some of it contrived for fun...some of it not. Sometimes it was hard to tell which was which. It seems the old geezers are aligned *vis a vis Brexit however. :naughty:

Actually this thread spun off another called "The trial of Vasco" or words to that effect. I think he was honored with the Dickhead of the Year award or some such in it. Which he graciously accepted. ;)

At one point they were going to take The Phil and Vasco Show on the road, even to The Americas. But I think they ran afoul of Homeland Security when they discovered Vasco's intense interest in matters concerning The Third Reich.:Ohno:

*will he take the bait? I wonder? :hmm:

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
The last thing this thread needs is two reactionary innumerates instead of just the one.

Seriously.
They are the origins of this thread and basically, though a major contributor, I just glommed on for shits and giggles. And being the sort of obnoxious and bullheaded jackass that I am decided (with others of course) it needed to continue ad nauseum as a kind of in-yer-face to some other a-holes on the forum. ;)

And,um...oh yeah...as a kind of pub for (generally) congenial banter and (sometimes *cough*) piss taking. :cool:

And here we are. :laugh2:

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Always liked that Shire radio skit Phil done about WW2 fighter pilots. Always had me in tears of laughter, seriously funny. His Vasco character is a scream.

Glad he didn't know me at the time or I might have ended up in it, probably stuck on the runway due to the weight of my female co-pilot. :rofl:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Just curious...Anybody have any knowledge or experience with unbalanced coil humbuckers like the old Matsumoku Magnaflux?View attachment 431736View attachment 431737
no experience with those . but I wonder if the same effect is achieved by removing the screws ( adjustable poles ) ? . I've played those __ and it's NOT the same as playing a single coil pickup . although that's what it's supposed to be like

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Seems like removing the pole pieces would totally negate that coil, not just diminish it. Without a magnetic field for the vibrating string to disturb there's no current in the coil. At least I don't think there would be.

Raising the pole pieces will only get you so far. The unbalanced coil seems like a good way to create a hybrid. The other way is a coaxial Humbucker which stacks the coils. I have some Bill Lawrence L250s that are stacked and they are very good. I have them on a Washburn A15v and it sounds a lot like a Telecaster meets a Strat with a bright Les Paul thrown in for good measure..balls-wise.

I have a Gibson Sidewinder bass pickup, which was the one used on the EBOs..which is also a coaxial. But it's so overkill it's hard to say exactly what the benefit is in being a coaxial.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Weird. All day long Army choppers have been flying overhead. I've noticed it as being constant today. Literally just a matter of minutes between them. Back and forth. Across the county.

People are talking about it on Fakebook, and my daughter who was just driving home from work on the highway about an 1/8 of a mile from us said it looked like a huge military copter hovering over our house. I don't think they're hovering, or right over our house...just the perspective view she was getting.

I'm sure it's nothing right? :eek2:

Just glad there's not an 80 million dollar bounty on my head. :laugh2:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Weird. All day long Army choppers have been flying overhead. I've noticed it as being constant today. Literally just a matter of minutes between them. Back and forth. Across the county.

People are talking about it on Fakebook, and my daughter who was just driving home from work on the highway about an 1/8 of a mile from us said it looked like a huge military copter hovering over our house. I don't think they're hovering, or right over our house...just the perspective view she was getting.

I'm sure it's nothing right? :eek2:

Just glad there's not an 80 million dollar bounty on my head. :laugh2:

is there an Army or National Guard base nearby ? they might be doing test flights and exercises . in this area , there's usually a notification for these __ so as not to cause panic . sometimes there will be as many as 10 in the air

which is kind of scary to see