The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

79standard

Reaction score
Just saw this... Interesting...

and Schaller Fender marked lockers, not Sperzel...

THE 2009 DZ9 - WAS THE LAST DELUXE OFFERED WITH THE SAMARIUM COBALT PICKUPS
BEING FROM THE FINAL 6 MONTHS OF THE DZ 2004-2009 MODEL PRODUCTION
THE LAST EVER PRODUCTION DELUXE STRAT THAT CAME WITH THE NOW INFAMOUS SAMARIUM COBALT PICKUPS

I read at Fender that at the time, the Deluxe was their top of the line... I think I did good... It plays like a dream and sounds bodacious.... Been playing through my little 1x12 tube combo tonight at home and those pickups are badass...

Until this one, I thought my old first run 02 Hwy 1 Skrat was the best sounding and playing Skrat I've owned or played... This one outdoes it.... The guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from (mus dir at his church, bought it new and slid the case under the bed...never really played it at all. When I first played it, the frets felt like it had not been played... After a couple of hours playing it all over the neck, any oxidation was worn off and they got real slick and it plays like glass now... I was gonna pull strings tomorrow and glass the frets (will do the Lester tomorrow instead) but I don't need to. They slicked up big time by just playing and bending all over the neck....

My Hwy 1 is like a workhorse... This Deluxe is much more finesse and richer with those pickups... THe Hwy 1 pickups are close to the hot Tex pickups, the Deluxe Samarium has all kinds of different tones... Gotta read up on the pickups to see what the deal is with Samarium Cobalt pickups... with the S1 stuff, sky is the limit....

It'll do the old old vintage brittle tone too and then go nuclear.... Surprised hell out of me the range....

Although it plays like a wet dream, Phil wouldn't like it because of the S1 voodoo under the pickguard... :laugh2:

If I ever get around to pulling the pickguard, I'll try to remember to snap a pic... I wanna see where that other tone cap is wired...

Not meaning to gloat at all... Apologies if it seems this way...

I just figured y'all would find the uniqueness of this model interesting... It floored me, playing it through my Delta Blues amp up at the shop... Yes, skrate in no pedal of any kind, Phil... ;)
Didnt seem like gloating at all, bud.
You bought 2 really fine guitars and I'm happy for you.
As for S1, I was glad to see the old solder-geek trick of running strat pups in series go mainstream. Fender tried that circa 1980 and it sounded great but nobody gave it a chance.
Anyway, HNGD, times 2!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good score Ed! Don't know much about the Samarium Cobalts but I think I remember reading they were great noiseless pups that have their own sound. Also think I recall they really shine with cobalt strings.

I really like the look of that Studio though. Congrats! Do you know which pickups are on it?

It has the 4xx pickups with both V knobs pull to split....(don't rem the exact mod numbers) The granadillo board feels about the same as rw and looks the same.... I

I played it just a few minutes but played the Skrat a good bit... Will play it more tomorrow at the shop (left it there but brought the Skrat home)... The pickups sounded very nice to me thru my Delta Blues amp... I will lower em tomorrow... I likes em low to get rid of any mud (neck), raise the screws a bit seems to brighten a touch and then balance across strings... Then balance the bridge with the neck...

If you have hot pickups with mud in the neck, deck it to the rings, raise the screws a touch and balance across as above yadda yadda.... Even hots will clear up a good bit when lowered.... I don't like the 'thud' pick attack with hits up close to strings... I think more expressive lowered...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Yeah I raise the screws on most HBs to offset the coil balance a little and drop them to the rings (most of the time) to back off on the overall string pull.

I found a review that says it's a 490 at the neck (a pickup I like) and 498 at the bridge, which is hot. So you probably want to deck that one like you said since you don't like hot ones. Rolling it back 15-30 percent seems to help with hot pups too. I personally don't mind hot pickups because I like a lot of overdrive much of the time. And with the coil tap the heat will help as sometimes they can be a little anemic.

Two very nice guitars. You killed it! :dude:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I raise the screws on most HBs to offset the coil balance a little and drop them to the rings (most of the time) to back off on the overall string pull.

I found a review that says it's a 490 at the neck (a pickup I like) and 498 at the bridge, which is hot. So you probably want to deck that one like you said since you don't like hot ones. Rolling it back 15-30 percent seems to help with hot pups too. I personally don't mind hot pickups because I like a lot of overdrive much of the time. And with the coil tap the heat will help as sometimes they can be a little anemic.

Two very nice guitars. You killed it! :dude:
Thanks! I think I got a pretty good deal with both being pretty much un-played condition....

BBD

Reaction score
S-1 Switch Down:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 2. Bridge Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 3. Bridge/Middle/Neck Pickups with Neck and Bridge Pickups in Parallel and in Series with Middle pickup
Position 4. Neck Pickup in Parallel with Special Capacitor and in Series with Middle Pickup
Position 5. Neck Pickup in Series with Middle Pickup
This I have to try at some point. And nivver even heard of the Samarium Radioactive Glo-Blu-In-The-Dark Cobalt pickups... Possibly as all bar this set now withdrawn from market and buried under Yucca Mountain... (they did find a use for it in the end, you see).

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons . very nice guitars Edro :thumb: early Merry Christmas !

the two point does make a difference on a Strat bridge . there are players that use and get along with the 6 screw bridges __ but many of them are modified to act similar to the modern config

like I said in the other thread . I don't like many LPs . flame top on any guitar is just not my thing . but plain in the right colors is beautiful . and you got a really nice one . digging the baccy burst on that Strat too .

since you acquired / and I let go of a few . I'm sure that you have more guitars than me now . and I'm not jealous one bit . I Love to see others get things that will bring them Joy . is a very good thing

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
G'day all.

Might as well give up Dom; Phil knows someone in worsteshire and fartshire that prove his point. Facts and figures will never overcome what he knows.
Curious about the radio in the UK. Is it all controlled by a small handful of corporate entities as is media here?
So tired of hearing how leftist the major outlets are as me being a died in the wool lefty do not begin to hear my agenda being promoted. The right sells that horseshit with amazing effectiveness. No doubt there is a lunatic fringe on our left sleeve just like the on our right, but as they are not bedded with the National Rifle Assoc they are hardly a threat.
The Media is all corporate and the depths of their pockets in their effort to make sure their masters remain first in line at the public trough is amazing. When you open a you-tube page pay attention to where the ad-dollars be coming from. Ain't from folk that have any interest but their own, and damn sure ain't from folk of my persuasion.
The fact that so many blame the scammers of public assistance and some the mere existence of said for the difficulties the working folk face as the .01 is bending us over and fucking us to death is pretty undeniable evidence of their effectiveness.

Be well Sid. In this country during the early eighties there was a massive tax cut to the wealthiest as it would work its way down (even I know that wealth percolates from the bottom up), and when it exploded our deficit the advocates of said cut decided that making our Social Security Benefits taxable was the best way to make up some of the difference ( won't even go into to the fact that these same interests have stolen trillions from the SSI trust to pay for the wars and even more tax cuts to the .01%).

Doesn't matter which side of the divide one be on, the overwhelming truth is that never in history has the wealth of a nation been concentrated in so few hands so rapidly as we have witnessed in our lifetimes.

Sorry for the run-on sentences. I will step down from my soapbox.

Sid best thoughts yoursward are.

Hope Ma smiles on us all. Here we be off to the Bark Park.

is a post like this where I have so much to say in response __ and at the same time . very little that people here ( in this thread ) don't already know and understand . I try not to get my thoughts too tangled up in the situation . and pretty much stay in place . where They want me to remain

what I don't do / try not to , is follow along the behaviors of the many . shoppers hypnotized during this season , purchasing anything that will remind them of a Christmas past . and innocence long gone . Santa is starting to resemble an Evil figurehead to me __ just like that squeaky mouse character . is all so crazy that it's almost funny in a way

sometimes I find the words of people like Terence McKenna / Alan Watts / and even Charles Bukowski comforting . if the words are out there . maybe they'll wake more people up . someday

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
The Media is all corporate and the depths of their pockets in their effort to make sure their masters remain first in line at the public trough is amazing
it's not just the media . it's also how the rich decide to spend / donate their money . it's all in self interest __ shaping and controlling the way that things are done . only to benefit themselves

long article . but very interesting . for those who don't know about . the family that everyone associated with art institutions and philanthropy . also the family that caused mass destruction to the health of the American public . and continues to do so . their actions will have long reaching consequences

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12775932/sackler-family-oxycontin/

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Hoorah Ed nice score. An unbound LP seems wrong somehow to me, but that wine finish always shows the form to best advantage.
Never been a strat guy, but that one made me drool. What is the board radius?

it's not just the media . it's also how the rich decide to spend / donate their money . it's all in self interest __ shaping and controlling the way that things are done . only to benefit themselves

long article . but very interesting . for those who don't know about . the family that everyone associated with art institutions and philanthropy . also the family that caused mass destruction to the health of the American public . and continues to do so . their actions will have long reaching consequences

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12775932/sackler-family-oxycontin/
Will peruse that. Knowing how that all came about makes me furious that such elude justice, and on the rare occasion one of them does do time it is a different experience than what the rest of us would be subjected to.
First time I have heard this version. From Big Country's "The Buffalo Skinners" from 93. Written by a Scot living in Nashville.
One of my favorite disks. Not a tune is there for filler.

I do not do Christmas beyond being polite. When someone wishes me a Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays ect, ect I respond "And to you and yours".
I have fond memories of the High Latin Mass, and Vickie and I went to the mid-night service at Muenster Cathedral in Ulm, FRG. The spectacle can be breath-taking.
I will go through the light display that supports a cause I hold dear, and walk Mass Street in Lawrence (can be quite entertainig).

I was coming home from the shelter and watched a guy in a UPS uniform and a helper hop out of a rental truck, and I was elated knowing that I was not spending the season in dockland.

Maddie is looking at me and whining that it is time to go so we be off to the Bark Park.

Hope Ma smiles on all.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Charlie... From what I've read online, the maple neck is 9.5" radius.... I may check it ne day with gauges at the shop... After playing it for several hours, I love the neck.... Best Skrat I've played to date... In 09, it was their top of the line...

As far as the Lester, when the Studios came out decades back, we sold em where I worked.... The first one we got was black w/ ebony board.... I love cherry bursts... I had three cherry burst Lesters at the time, two were Customs... So it was a bit odd first holding it... After I plugged it in and played the black Studio, I really didn't give much of a damn if it was purple with chartreuse racing stripes from hell on it... It was ALL Lester.... I have said many times, I can't hear binding anyway (or pickguard).... ;)

I like the split function on the Lester.... I have wanted a P90 Lester for a looooong time. A bud has a wine Deluxe Pro Lester with P90s I've tried to talk him out of after doing a bit of work on it... Now I hope I can get similar tone out of this one... If I can, I'll keep it.... I need another Lester like I need a nuclear powered ear wax remover.... One day my son is gonna shit his pants when he actually opens some cases when they are his....

I agree that not much looks sexier than binding on a beautiful Lester, but there is a basic beauty in the Studios... From the side, the maple cap kinda looks like binding but doesn't stand out being stained too...
Unless it is a Custom, binding ain't really gonna be seen by the popcorn munchers anyway. Binding is more for us to look at.... I also think a bound neck is sexy as hell but makes little difference playing-wise... Some folks will argue nibs till the cows come home and they DO look cool but I really don't care as far as playing....

Some folks will lay out long cash for fancy Benelli and such shotguns to hunt birds....I'll stick with my old all camo Rem 870... Not as fancy by a long shot. No super grade wood....but it shoots just as well and is as reliable if not more....

I drooled over the pic of your Lester....pure beauty...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons . very nice guitars Edro :thumb: early Merry Christmas !

the two point does make a difference on a Strat bridge . there are players that use and get along with the 6 screw bridges __ but many of them are modified to act similar to the modern config

like I said in the other thread . I don't like many LPs . flame top on any guitar is just not my thing . but plain in the right colors is beautiful . and you got a really nice one . digging the baccy burst on that Strat too .

since you acquired / and I let go of a few . I'm sure that you have more guitars than me now . and I'm not jealous one bit . I Love to see others get things that will bring them Joy . is a very good thing
I'm a plain top man myself...in spite of the "burst" mystique. I just don't get that rock vibe from a geetar that's too purty-fied. In fact for years I preferred the Standards to the Customs. Too fancy. But the last two LPs I've had have been Customs. But plain tops. Both had been stripped and finished natchel ala Mick Ronson. Big Ronson fan.

I use two large brass screws instead of the six steel on a couple of my strats. Two points bind less it seems like. If I use the whammy that is. Some I block or just screw the springs up super tight.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Thanks, Charlie... From what I've read online, the maple neck is 9.5" radius.... I may check it ne day with gauges at the shop... After playing it for several hours, I love the neck.... Best Skrat I've played to date... In 09, it was their top of the line...

As far as the Lester, when the Studios came out decades back, we sold em where I worked.... The first one we got was black w/ ebony board.... I love cherry bursts... I had three cherry burst Lesters at the time, two were Customs... So it was a bit odd first holding it... After I plugged it in and played the black Studio, I really didn't give much of a damn if it was purple with chartreuse racing stripes from hell on it... It was ALL Lester.... I have said many times, I can't hear binding anyway (or pickguard).... ;)

I like the split function on the Lester.... I have wanted a P90 Lester for a looooong time. A bud has a wine Deluxe Pro Lester with P90s I've tried to talk him out of after doing a bit of work on it... Now I hope I can get similar tone out of this one... If I can, I'll keep it.... I need another Lester like I need a nuclear powered ear wax remover.... One day my son is gonna shit his pants when he actually opens some cases when they are his....

I agree that not much looks sexier than binding on a beautiful Lester, but there is a basic beauty in the Studios... From the side, the maple cap kinda looks like binding but doesn't stand out being stained too...
Unless it is a Custom, binding ain't really gonna be seen by the popcorn munchers anyway. Binding is more for us to look at.... I also think a bound neck is sexy as hell but makes little difference playing-wise... Some folks will argue nibs till the cows come home and they DO look cool but I really don't care as far as playing....

Some folks will lay out long cash for fancy Benelli and such shotguns to hunt birds....I'll stick with my old all camo Rem 870... Not as fancy by a long shot. No super grade wood....but it shoots just as well and is as reliable if not more....

I drooled over the pic of your Lester....pure beauty...
I remember when the first Studios came out, a friend had a glossy black Studio. VERY sexy and looked more modern. The lack of binding doesn't bother me at all. Didn't hurt that at that point my '71 Goldtop was long gone and I was still pining for an LP.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Also...not a burst guy. Unless they've very subtle or something like a tri-burst. The black in the triburstl creates more depth. Don't like cherry, tobacco, and those god awful black/white (silver?) bursts...forget what they were called..no thanks.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a plain top man myself...in spite of the "burst" mystique. I just don't get that rock vibe from a geetar that's too purty-fied. In fact for years I preferred the Standards to the Customs. Too fancy. But the last two LPs I've had have been Customs. But plain tops. Both had been stripped and finished natchel ala Mick Ronson. Big Ronson fan.

I use two large brass screws instead of the six steel on a couple of my strats. Two points bind less it seems like. If I use the whammy that is. Some I block or just screw the springs up super tight.
Ain't nothing wrong with a Skrat that five sprangs and a decked claw won't fix....

Latest Threads