The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

79standard

Reaction score
And if they MAKE sounds it follows they can "HEAR" sounds. There's a historical home in my town, just a few blocks from my house where I grew up. It was owned by the Women's Auxiliary or Garden Club or some such. As a teenager I used to crash in the beautiful walled garden at night and roam the grounds of the 10 acres of old trees. I would play my classical guitar for the trees as I was trippin' balls. And I used to think they communicated with me. But my sense was it was more in the way of images projected into my head. o_O

Maybe they heard me after all? :shock:
None of this surprises me at all.
Fascinating, yes, but not surprising.
The Sufis believe "all things are alive in the eyes of G*d."
IMO they're not wrong.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Reminds me of my 20s when I used to fill in for bands in need of a sexy bass player. Couldn't do it these days as I'd need a couple of Hubble telescopes fitted to my eyes to see them. Still gawd damned sexy though, even more so.

What? :laugh2:
Just got back from the gig about 30 mins ago and it really went down well.
About 150 people all seated and Lauren and I nailed it perfectly.. :laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Phil, I think you may be allergic to any technology... You cute pups don't have a bunch of knobbery and switchery and do not come with manuals that you are never gonna read anyway.....

:laugh2:
:lol:
I don't think it's that I'm allergic to it but more the case of not finding a practical use for it when I get it..:laugh2:
Inanimate objects are predictable and only do what you want them to do unlike animals who have charisma and personality.
Gear I've owned in the past I can quite easily forget with regards to what it sounded and played like but I always remember every pet I've ever had as a cherished part of my life.

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Was one for the books is the best of ways today. Little warmer than the norm and a lovely azure sky.

Maddie is somewhat put out at me as she had to guard the house while I was galavanting with Emily.

Have a customer with PTSD....I told him about practicing with metronomes was a good thing.... He started using one....
I was talking about practicing guitar/bass...
But...
He found out that when he got a bit wound up, he could turn on the metronome and keep it running in the house for a good while and it helped him center himself.... Interesting...
Suspect tinnitus is also in his life. Had not thought of using a metronome for background noise, and can say that my PTSD is not nearly so difficult when my tinnitus is pushed from center stage.

One of my favorite tunes in so many incarnations as it is such a gem that whether it be Mountain, Leslie West and Jack Bruce or Jack on a pinnaner it holds its' form.

Tres Cool.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I felt like that particular performance presented the song in it's purest form. The Mountain version sounded a tad "ragey" if you know what I mean. I love that version but the swirling grind of the background kind of overwhelmed the message in this instance I thought. :)

The Fripp thing was just an interesting use of The Stick since we've been bandieing it about. :laugh2:

I do like me some Frippertronics though.

cmh6122

Reaction score
I felt like that particular performance presented the song in it's purest form. The Mountain version sounded a tad "ragey" if you know what I mean. I love that version but the swirling grind of the background kind of overwhelmed the message in this instance I thought. :)

The Fripp thing was just an interesting use of The Stick since we've been bandieing it about. :laugh2:

The Mountain version is how I heard it first, and that harmonic Leslie West pops at the end of the solo still wobbles my knees. Back in the day when you may have gotten more than one take, but only one take made it to vinyl.

Still kind of surprised the 'Stick' has not garnered more interest. Think it would go swimmingly with a hurdy gurdy.
The three guys playing the Ovations nearly bordered on creepy visually, but the sound was delicious. Wonder if they were in different tunings or simply playing complementary parts.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Glad things went so well. Although at this point you're such an old hand what could go wrong? :)
:lol: Plenty I fear but thanks for the kind words anyway Frank..:laugh2:
Lauren always jokes with the audience about me and visa versa.
I've always tried to to stick to the old saying " Stay hungry, stay humble" before a gig .

Ooops...3:15 a.m. and just up with Louis.
must have fallen asleep typing the above in bed as when I just woke up I hadn't sent this post and my phone was on the floor...:laugh2:
Back to bed for us ...
Later folks.

:wave:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
The Mountain version is how I heard it first, and that harmonic Leslie West pops at the end of the solo still wobbles my knees. Back in the day when you may have gotten more than one take, but only one take made it to vinyl.

Still kind of surprised the 'Stick' has not garnered more interest. Think it would go swimmingly with a hurdy gurdy.
The three guys playing the Ovations nearly bordered on creepy visually, but the sound was delicious. Wonder if they were in different tunings or simply playing complementary parts.
Same here. West was one of my favorite guitarists for years. I traded my well worn and beloved 2001 A Space Odyssey album for Nantucket Sleighride as a teen so I could nick his riffs. His tone on the live side of Flowers of Evil was something I strived for early on. Along with Mike Bloomfield on the Super Sessions.

The stick guy in the Fripp Quintet is no Levin but it's interesting nevertheless. Could be the trio were in alternate turnings as Fripp has devised his own turnings. I've read some about them but my eyes sort of glaze over. :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
:lol: Plenty I fear but thanks for the kind words anyway Frank..:laugh2:
Lauren always jokes with the audience about me and visa versa.
I've always tried to to stick to the old saying " Stay hungry, stay humble" before a gig .

Ooops...3:15 a.m. and just up with Louis.
must have fallen asleep typing the above in bed as when I just woke up I hadn't sent this post and my phone was on the floor...:laugh2:
Back to bed for us ...
Later folks.

:wave:
I don't have to try very hard to stay humble...life takes care of that for me. :laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I don't have to try very hard to stay humble...life takes care of that for me. :laugh2:

We all get bitch slapped in different ways, bud... Just is....

What defines us is getting our asses back up.....

Being ornery as hell helps too... You are ninja level ornery... Everybody can't stroll through shit you've survived, and keep going, my friend...

You're short too. Shorter'n hell.... Dunno if that figures in to the ornery but I guess it damn sure could... Bumping yo head on drawers folks leave open and shit.... Not being tall enough to ride the cool rides at the fair.... I imagine that coule make one ornery as hell.....

I taught my son the best I could. I told him he'd get kicked in the teeth sooner or later, and repeatedly, we all do... What he does next defines him.... He's been kicked many times, still gets up and gets back to biz.... He's a badass....in spite of having a rare CF variation. Made Exec Chef at 25yrs old.... Did it the old hard way...Worked under some badass asshole classically trained & degreed Exec Chefs that saw something special in him, taught him because he wanted it, made his life freaking miserable, and then kicked him so he would go work under a different Exec to learn more... Now he is their competition....and they know it...and are good friends... He works his ass off for unreal hours, straight salary doesn't pay when you run the calculator, but happier'n a hog in a watermelon patch...

May sound odd to some, but I realize the times I was kicked made me who I am. I got back up, brushed my ass off, and got back to it.....

Entitled fucks don't have the luxury. They are never satisfied with anything because they've never 'done it themselves' to any extent.

Wife asked if I could go back yadda yadda.... I said no. I would not be who I am, traveled the roads I've traveled, nor would I have met the people I have met.... Had a helluva life so far....ain't done yet....

Any time any any of us in here gets kinda maudlin, remember:

Those of us up in here have seen more shit and done more shit than any regular folks have...

We have lived the lives of any ten popcorn munching Bufords... and somehow lived through it....

That in itself is pretty badass if you ask me....

edro...

BBD

Reaction score
Indeed, Edro.

=== Phil, very glad the gig went well. You can hold your head up when walking the vicious, drooling pack of hounds around the village now. Nobody will dare to meet your eye with anything less than a smile :laugh2:

Yes but I just wish he hadn't married Toyah bloody Wilcox.