The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Phil, I think you may be allergic to any technology... You cute pups don't have a bunch of knobbery and switchery and do not come with manuals that you are never gonna read anyway.....

:laugh2:
My dad had lots of tools so he taught me to use them. He'd putter with electrical stuff and forced me to take an electronics correspondence course in my mid teens. Anybody remember The National Radio Institute?
He repaired band and orchestra instruments for his schools, did some cabinet making, repairs around the house..yard tools, car repairs. A GI from WWII...it seemed kind of natural to guys in that era..especially from the south I guess. So it's second nature for me as well. Gadgets always seemed like an extension of my abilities. Was big into comics as a kid. Tools just seemed like a way to be a superhero. Like an exoskeleton of stuff that amplifies your abilities. That's what they've always been really. Even Neanderthals had a level of technology.

It was status quo for about 90,000 years though. :laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
My dad had lots of tools so he taught me to use them. He'd putter with electrical stuff and forced me to take an electronics correspondence course in my mid teens. Anybody remember The National Radio Institute?
He repaired band and orchestra instruments for his schools, did some cabinet making, repairs around the house..yard tools, car repairs. A GI from WWII...it seemed kind of natural to guys in that era..especially from the south I guess. So it's second nature for me as well. Gadgets always seemed like an extension of my abilities. Was big into comics as a kid. Tools just seemed like a way to be a superhero. Like an exoskeleton of stuff that amplifies your abilities. That's what they've always been really. Even Neanderthals had a level of technology.

It was status quo for about 90,000 years though. :laugh2:

A bud of mine asked me if I could repad and adjust an alto sax for him....

Not just no but hell no.... I ain't doing that no mo... Did it but never liked dicking with reed horns....

A lady came in the shop with a pawn shop bought clarinet for her daughter several months back. It was actually a nice wood clarinet but all dicked up...

She had little money and a single mom so I worked the ticket so her kid could start in the band program....

I had to get my jewelers screwdriver kit....it goes downhill from there... Pads were ok but the timing was off on keys and some just didn't work....

Those little ass springs can be a bitch to get just right.... I fixed it for her which in actuality more than quadrupled the value of the thing as it was actually a good instrument NOT dicked up... I charged her a very nominal amount and told her to make sure her daughter practiced to make my work worthwhile...

Norminally, I do not relish working on band instruments at all... I'll work guitar/bass wiring and repair, but horns, I'd just rather not... I don't like having to bend stuff back that has been bent. It is tough to get it exactly right so it functions correctly... Pain in the ass...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
A bud of mine asked me if I could repad and adjust an alto sax for him....

Not just no but hell no.... I ain't doing that no mo... Did it but never liked dicking with reed horns....

A lady came in the shop with a pawn shop bought clarinet for her daughter several months back. It was actually a nice wood clarinet but all dicked up...

She had little money and a single mom so I worked the ticket so her kid could start in the band program....

I had to get my jewelers screwdriver kit....it goes downhill from there... Pads were ok but the timing was off on keys and some just didn't work....

Those little ass springs can be a bitch to get just right.... I fixed it for her which in actuality more than quadrupled the value of the thing as it was actually a good instrument NOT dicked up... I charged her a very nominal amount and told her to make sure her daughter practiced to make my work worthwhile...

Norminally, I do not relish working on band instruments at all... I'll work guitar/bass wiring and repair, but horns, I'd just rather not... I don't like having to bend stuff back that has been bent. It is tough to get it exactly right so it functions correctly... Pain in the ass...
I never could get on with reeds. Brass is more durable and mechanical. And all those fiddly parts drove me nuts. When he was showing me that crap I never payed attention. :laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
A guy came in with a relatively old violin.... It was a Stradivarius.... Yeah, right......

He said his uncle or something had it for decades (probably true) and it was worth a ton of money (Nawt)... I suggested he look at the actual paper of the label and it would become obvious it was post 1900... It was not a rare nor expensive instrument, and it would never be worth what it would take for me to restore it... Several countries churned the hell out of fiddles in the early to mid 1900s as there were a LOT of strings in schools then along with community orchestras.....

It would have been interesting to restore but not worth it.....at all.....

Some things are a lesson in futility....

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Decided I'd give this online survey lark a go as a way to generate some extra income as I sorely need it. Got a computer, got the time so might as well give it a whirl. Under no illusion it's going to sort my finances out, but I got to start somewhere.

2 weeks in & I've made... £4.99. Bollocks! :laugh2:

Jeez I so hate "In a scale of 1 to 10" type questions. They are so shit. There must be a better way to make money from the web than this but I'm no business man, jezz no. Some folks can find a dried out dog poo in the middle of the street & turn a £$ out of it, but not me.

79standard

Reaction score
The problem with using a gtr synth or modeling pedal is that a guitarist playing keyboard on guitar is gonna be PLAYED like a guitarist would play... Phrasing, attacks, etc... and usually sounds like shit.

Same with the converse. KB players suck just as bad playing a guitar part on KB because they do not phrase like guitarists, not even close...

If one mimics another instrument with whatever tech, one needs to understand the mechanics of playing that instrument to be able to accurately pull it off... or it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Usually funny when someone tries to mimic an alto sax solo on guitar....
Sax players play some sideways shit in solos if you look at it like a guitar player... Like trying to track the flight path of a bat at times...

Think normal blues rock guitar solo... Typical starting points in the main block, typical move up on the IV, typical phrasing to back down into I and the slide up into V then IV then I.... You can use the same notes with the admissible half step passers and temp porch note coming down, but in a different order/direction and mystify the hell out of some... Think three blocks covering I IV V.... A bud of mine with stage/studio/tv creds out the ass, never starts a solo where you think.... He is why I call it playing sideways... He'll start in the middle of the blocks and go opposite direction most anybody else will go....and he is playing the same damn notes in the blocks BUT different order and direction... I've watched other guitarists watch him at one of our shows and say 'just how the fuck did he do that?'... Funny. He plays very similar to a horn player...
+1 on all this, which is why I use these emulator pedals strictly for the fun timbres. I can't phrase like a keyboardist and do not want to.

And most of our favorite guitarists wanted to be horn players when they grew up, Holdsworth being a great example, Charlie Christian another.

When I want to challenge myself, I try to pick out guitar-hostile melodies that were written on piano or horns.
Souza melodies are a horror to find on the fretboard.
Great practice!
Ditto any olde-tyme Tin Pan Alley/Brill Building* pop hit or show tune.
Strauss waltzes are equally maddening/useful.

Fun to listen to, but a big PITA to play on guitfiddle, ergo great for practice.
I'm willing to bet that a pro like you does this already.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Decided I'd give this online survey lark a go as a way to generate some extra income as I sorely need it. Got a computer, got the time so might as well give it a whirl. Under no illusion it's going to sort my finances out, but I got to start somewhere.

2 weeks in & I've made... £4.99. Bollocks! :laugh2:

Jeez I so hate "In a scale of 1 to 10" type questions. They are so shit. There must be a better way to make money from the web than this but I'm no business man, jezz no. As much as I rag on toxic capaSome folks can find a dried out dog poo in the middle of the street & turn a £$ out of it, but not me.
As much as I rag on toxic capitalism I admit business is an art. I ran a business for someone else, had a partnership for a few years, had my own small business for a couple of decades, then freelanced as an artist for about the same amount of time.

I thought "do a good job, treat people fairly and with professionalism, do right by them, keep your prices reasonable...blah blah blah". And you'll go far.

Nope. :laugh2:

79standard

Reaction score
just leaving this one here for Frank . I'm sure he could find one of those to play with

View attachment 425117
...and, no surprise, I adore every last one of these.
The natural wood ones...
the "bright happy colors" ones...
magnificent, all of them!

I'd be happy with an 8 string (high A above like Lenny Breau, and a B below like everybody else) and an extreme Uli Jon Roth extended fretboard, where the frets have to skip notes like a dulcimer just so the fingers have room to work.

Actually, one of Uli's Sky Guitars would do the job great, but I wanna do it myyyyyyy wayyyyyyy. (LOL)

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
A guy came in with a relatively old violin.... It was a Stradivarius.... Yeah, right......

He said his uncle or something had it for decades (probably true) and it was worth a ton of money (Nawt)... I suggested he look at the actual paper of the label and it would become obvious it was post 1900... It was not a rare nor expensive instrument, and it would never be worth what it would take for me to restore it... Several countries churned the hell out of fiddles in the early to mid 1900s as there were a LOT of strings in schools then along with community orchestras.....

I've got my dad's old violin, which I liked because it seemed to have a warmth like a viola, not so trebly. The sticker (which is ink stamped) says Josef Klotz 1789, in Absam.
Josef Klotz was a well known German violin maker and there were several sons also. But as far as I understand, Absam was not the town he was known to have produced instruments in.

I'm sure he told me some things about the violin but by that time I was so resentful of the whole "guitar is not an instrument" thing I wasn't listening anymore. :laugh2:

79standard

Reaction score
Cool! They make great stuff...

The 'letter'9 pedals do a great job for the price range... Tracking may not be perfect but for the price, it blows my mind how good they are with no special pickup or weird mod required...just plug the damn guitar in and play....

If you don't have a Soul Food (or Hot Tubes, etc.) I think you'd like it too with a tube amp.... When (with guitr V dimed) you crank the SF Volume knob (just boost) and leave the Gain (dirt) at zero, you can find that sweet spot in the amp preamp where it gets greasy and sparkly as hell.... Then back the guitar V down a bit and it gets cleaner....but spin it forward and it is righteous... The amp is NOT cranked wide ass open either to get spanky, doesn't have to with a good boost.... It lets the stank out of the amp early on at lower volume... That tone to me is preferable to any box distortion.... Tubez be dripping grease like a pork butt hitting temp in a smoker... Just don't get better'n that....

I prefer Dickey and Duane type distortion....which ain't... Wide ass open Marshalls loaded with JBLs (totally different animal than Celestions in those sealed back cabs).... Still technically clean but fatter'n a hog in a watermelon patch... You never lose the guitar.... I've had friends that ask how their guitar sounds and you couldn't pull 'guitar' out of that sound in any shape, form. or fashion... It could be a Lester, Tele, ZimGar Teisco, or a damn Sitar, and it would not change a damn thing.... That ain't playing guitar. That's playing pedals...
Ah! You're talking about what I call "implied distortion."
Like Chris Hillman's bass on the Byrds hits.
Some waves definitely getting all golden brown and caramelized, but not fuzzy, am I hearing you right?

As for boost, I know you're right, but it may be a while before I have the kind of life situation where I can really light up Big Dan (JFK-era Danelectro 300) or my Mesa .22+, or my Tiny Terror.
Hell, most of the time I can hardly play plugged in nowadays, but I keep my loud monsters because of vague hope for a better, freer living situation somewhere down the road.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score

and the funny part is . when you try to explain in the nicest way possible . that the piece isn't worth what they think that it's worth . they like to believe that

a : you don't know what you're talking about . or
b : you want to buy it , and you're trying to rip them off

79standard

Reaction score
And if they MAKE sounds it follows they can "HEAR" sounds. There's a historical home in my town, just a few blocks from my house where I grew up. It was owned by the Women's Auxiliary or Garden Club or some such. As a teenager I used to crash in the beautiful walled garden at night and roam the grounds of the 10 acres of old trees. I would play my classical guitar for the trees as I was trippin' balls. And I used to think they communicated with me. But my sense was it was more in the way of images projected into my head. o_O

Maybe they heard me after all? :shock:
None of this surprises me at all.
Fascinating, yes, but not surprising.
The Sufis believe "all things are alive in the eyes of G*d."
IMO they're not wrong.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Reminds me of my 20s when I used to fill in for bands in need of a sexy bass player. Couldn't do it these days as I'd need a couple of Hubble telescopes fitted to my eyes to see them. Still gawd damned sexy though, even more so.

What? :laugh2:
Just got back from the gig about 30 mins ago and it really went down well.
About 150 people all seated and Lauren and I nailed it perfectly.. :laugh2:

Latest Threads