The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I think these pedals are fun and it could work given some diligence on pedal settings and guitar technique and I have no problem with that. I expect amp / cab / mic / guitar effects modelling to work to 'fool anyone' standards these days, but I don't expect that from the EHX pedals, so it's okay... Quite an eye-opener for me, really.
Even with MIDI guitar control it's tough to emulate two hand technique on a keyboard. Finger picking is a must. But melodically it's fine. And in a mix nobody will know, if you pay attention to your phrasing. It's all most effective if you're recording.

People don't seem to be as impressed as they should be when piano sounds spew from your guitar...But judging from the poll I referenced it's not too surprising they don't grasp or care what's going on. I get the same reaction from folks with digital 3D generated art. I don't think most of them have a clue as to what they're looking at or how it's done. Or even care. :laugh2:

Which is depressing somehow. :confused:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Probably because of all that technology....:hmm:
I think it has more to do with the industry itself. As in marketing, packaging, and agencies who skim off the top.

Not to mention all the dummies who BUY the crap music. If dummies buy crap, crap will be made. And the more crap they buy, the more artists are pressured to produce crap...and the more crappy artists are rewarded with sales of their crappy crap. :laugh2:

Supply and demand. :facepalm:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
The problem with using a gtr synth or modeling pedal is that a guitarist playing keyboard on guitar is gonna be PLAYED like a guitarist would play... Phrasing, attacks, etc... and usually sounds like shit.

Same with the converse. KB players suck just as bad playing a guitar part on KB because they do not phrase like guitarists, not even close...

If one mimics another instrument with whatever tech, one needs to understand the mechanics of playing that instrument to be able to accurately pull it off... or it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Usually funny when someone tries to mimic an alto sax solo on guitar....
Sax players play some sideways shit in solos if you look at it like a guitar player... Like trying to track the flight path of a bat at times...

Think normal blues rock guitar solo... Typical starting points in the main block, typical move up on the IV, typical phrasing to back down into I and the slide up into V then IV then I.... You can use the same notes with the admissible half step passers and temp porch note coming down, but in a different order/direction and mystify the hell out of some... Think three blocks covering I IV V.... A bud of mine with stage/studio/tv creds out the ass, never starts a solo where you think.... He is why I call it playing sideways... He'll start in the middle of the blocks and go opposite direction most anybody else will go....and he is playing the same damn notes in the blocks BUT different order and direction... I've watched other guitarists watch him at one of our shows and say 'just how the fuck did he do that?'... Funny. He plays very similar to a horn player...

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Phrasing is very important, as is knowing the range of a given instrument. If you've listened and paid attention all your life you can hear when an instrument's natural range is exceeded even with a good multi sample. It sounds synthetic.

Attack is also important and characteristic to each instrument. The demos of the Miroslav Philharmonik samples I mentioned, even though they're hi fidelity samples of real instruments... the attack sometimes sounds wrong, and if the first few milliseconds of a sound aren't what we expect it kind of blows the whole thing.
Which is another problem with MIDI guitar. A delay of a few milliseconds can blow the whole feel of things. You have to get used to that and compensate in your phrasing. Or just decide it ain't your thang.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
'97 happy hardcore... those were the days :)
for me especially . I watched the entire evolution of it happen right before my eyes . I was working at The Tunnel in NYC when Junior Vasquez introduced this to the crowds . on Halloween of all nights

and I was also there , when he decided to play this to the crowd . which caused a massive amount of trouble . being that Madonna was in the club the night he decided to blast it :applause:. the original version had him stopping the music . all lights went out . and he shouted the famous " If Madonna Calls . . . "

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Well alrighty then.

wow . that's crazy . but it does explain something

one Sunny afternoon __ years ago . when I was I bouncing on variety of lab candies . I was walking across a grassy field with a couple of my friends . I tried to explain to them that I needed to use the sidewalk , because I could hear the grass crying when I walked on it

maybe I REALLY WAS hearing the grass cry :eek2: . whoa . . .

79standard

Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

interesting article . thanks for linking that

and it looks like you're correct . the other two have more to do with traits , than trauma . although I do like some of the weird science behind the research of cellular memory . it gives some plausibility to the idea of past lives ( which I don't really believe in )
I don't want there to be such things as past lives, but the supporting anecdotal evidence is persistent, plentiful, and to me somewhat disturbing.

79standard

Reaction score
How EHX pulls this series of pedals off, I don't know..... Pretty damn cool for the prices...

I have the C9 (not shown), and while I found the chord tracking disappointing, I still love this pedal enough to eventually buy its Mel9 cousin, and that's high praise considering my shaky finances.

The C9 is worth it for the Telstar and Mello Flutes flavors alone, everything else being icing on the cake.

So, yeah, I love EHX, love my Cathedral, my Canyon, my Freeze, the C9, enough to eventually buy the Mel9, the rebooted Attack Decay, Oceans 11, Mod 11, maybe the Platform.

EHX has fire-sale prices, great innovative designs, made in America.... all this is also true of Source Audio, which also makes amazing stuff, but we digress.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
I like Electro Harmonix stuff. I had a Micro Synthesizer in the late '70s early '80s that I liked a lot. It tracked very well and sounded good. The fuzz was gated so sounded a tad artificial but was very quiet. It had octave above and below capabilities as well as a mixer, triggered filter (we called it an envelope follower in those days) and sweep controls. I think they still make them. I would definitely recommend one of those.

With a delay pedal you can go apeshit. :dude:
They still make them, and they still rock.