The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
The fact that ours is nicked from a bawdy English drinking song is a strike against it. :laugh2:

Personally I've always liked this one.;)

And I have always been partial to the mystical aspects of Jerusalem.

America is an absolutely brilliant song.
A tad lacking in whizz bangs and rockets for some I suspect as regards a national anthem but never the less a great song...:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
The horrible flanging noise is distracting though. I've noticed it on some very old films. I'm surprised they don't edit it out. I'm sure the technology exists. I can think of a few ways to minimize it myself and I'm no technician.
I must admit that other than the applause at the intro I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary..Probably because your ears are more finely tuned to these things than mine..:laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
This would be a killer fanfare instead of SSB....

I love this too.... Could be the ending part of the new anthem...

Damn you Edro. I was just going to post that VERY video. :shock:

Yep. Definitely something by Copeland. He's America's composer. Theme for the common man sums up our (alleged) aspirations and ideology. Unfortunately it would be hard for the numpties to sing along to. And guaranteed some mook would write about rockets and bombs bursting in air to ruin it.

I'll post it anyway. :laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
This would be a killer fanfare instead of SSB....

I love this too.... Could be the ending part of the new anthem...

Love "fanfare for the common man".... :applause:

I can't stand "God save the Queen" though and definitely think it should be replaced.
The two main contenders being " I vow to thee my country" and "Jerusalem"..Jerusalem which I personally prefer.
As with all these anthems, I have absolutely no interest at all in jingoistic lyrics but simply for the melodic content of the piece.

Jerusalem is just far more majestic in my opinion and the arrangement from around 1:20 is just awesome.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Maybe something by Sousa. Easy to follow and is definitely rousi
America is an absolutely brilliant song.
A tad lacking in whizz bangs and rockets for some I suspect as regards a national anthem but never the less a great song...:laugh2:
The whiz bangs are in the soaring harmonies and atmospheric arrangement. But it is a little pensive and way too introspective for the average Amurican. :laugh2:

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Might as well give up Dom; Phil knows someone in worsteshire and fartshire that prove his point. Facts and figures will never overcome what he knows.
Curious about the radio in the UK. Is it all controlled by a small handful of corporate entities as is media here?
So tired of hearing how leftist the major outlets are as me being a died in the wool lefty do not begin to hear my agenda being promoted. The right sells that horseshit with amazing effectiveness. No doubt there is a lunatic fringe on our left sleeve just like the on our right, but as they are not bedded with the National Rifle Assoc they are hardly a threat.
The Media is all corporate and the depths of their pockets in their effort to make sure their masters remain first in line at the public trough is amazing. When you open a you-tube page pay attention to where the ad-dollars be coming from. Ain't from folk that have any interest but their own, and damn sure ain't from folk of my persuasion.
The fact that so many blame the scammers of public assistance and some the mere existence of said for the difficulties the working folk face as the .01 is bending us over and fucking us to death is pretty undeniable evidence of their effectiveness.

Be well Sid. In this country during the early eighties there was a massive tax cut to the wealthiest as it would work its way down (even I know that wealth percolates from the bottom up), and when it exploded our deficit the advocates of said cut decided that making our Social Security Benefits taxable was the best way to make up some of the difference ( won't even go into to the fact that these same interests have stolen trillions from the SSI trust to pay for the wars and even more tax cuts to the .01%).

Doesn't matter which side of the divide one be on, the overwhelming truth is that never in history has the wealth of a nation been concentrated in so few hands so rapidly as we have witnessed in our lifetimes.

Sorry for the run-on sentences. I will step down from my soapbox.

Sid best thoughts yoursward are.

Hope Ma smiles on us all. Here we be off to the Bark Park.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Anthems are basically glorified school fight songs a lot of the time. Or is it the other way around? :hmm:

Any who, I do like Jerusalem, as any martial references are purely metaphorical and refer to a mental and spiritual struggle to become better. However the specific reference to Jerusalem itself, although also metaphorical, is too much of an opportunity for some folks to take it as a religious endorsement of some kind.

Last edited:

Latest Threads