The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Tom..
A pupil of mine is interested in a metal resonator guitar he can play slide on..
Nothing fancy in price and I know you had discussed them before in here.
Any recommendations?
I've been thinking about getting one too . I've recently heard a few players that do flat picking on them . they have a very distinctive sound

Last edited:

sliding tom

Reaction score
Tom..
A pupil of mine is interested in a metal resonator guitar he can play slide on..
Nothing fancy in price and I know you had discussed them before in here.
Any recommendations?
Depends a bit on what he (or she) is willing to spend. A Michael Messer "Blues" model is a good one, available in 12 or 14 fret styles and cost @ GBP 600.00. If that's too much, Johnson is a brand that makes decent resos for less than that. Looks like they are hard to come by in the UK - "Recording King" would be an alterntaive. Another option would be thomann's house brand "Harley Benton" - @ GBP 300.00. Always a good idea if you can play it first but if you can't thomann has a great return policy if you don't like what you get.

MM Blues

Harley Benton Resonator

sliding tom

Reaction score
There's some pretty cheap alternatives available in the U.S. but I'm not sure what shipping or tariffs would add to the cost.
Probably the same instruments as the ones available in Europe only with a different brand name. "Republic" is a brand out of Texas I think made in the same small factory as MM guitars which came out of "Busker" branded resos. Unfortunately "Busker" has closed its business.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was looking at that Gretsch that sells for 399... Round neck....

Be fun to have one as I am still trying to learn slide...Now that I have progressed past sounding like somebody baptising a pissed off cat, it would be nice to have a rez so I don't have to have an amp...

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Northwind brought some Artic greeting our way. Still in the mix zone but our wind speeds are forecast to rise to the high 20 low 30 mph (gusts extra of course) as our temp drops.
Was 34F at 0630 and I could sit at my desk without hearing the wind. Four hours-ish of daylight has the wind whirring the windmill and a constant presence in the background as I sit at my desk.

Mostly indoor recess today. The windchill is the kind that sucks the joy of being out of doors from one post haste.

Agreed Ed none who remain long in the Idyll are lacking in life-changing/affirming/ so on ad infinitum experience.

Spent most of yesterday with the left side of my face feeling like an overstuffed sausage casing so spent most of the day curled in as comfortable position as I could manage. Mostly past by bed time but left little ambition beyond Maddie care and a reasonable level of hygiene.
And truth told long hot showers have a truly analgesic effect.

Uh oh, dog babies just did a quick drive-by. Fear their next incursion will be intrusive. I hear the jingle of tags aaaaarrrfgggggghhh
They are coming

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think being a bit nuts got us this far...

We've run into stuff in our lives that would have popcorn munchers running down the skreet screaming...

We pretty much looked at a lot of the crazy we've seen, like "not this shit again...oh well..." and went about our business...

One of my favorite sayings for decades to some folks freaking out over something needlessly, "You don't get out much, do you?"

sliding tom

Reaction score
One of my favorite sayings for decades to some folks freaking out over something needlessly, "You don't get out much, do you?"
:applause:

Suck it up. Walk it off. Watch your back.

But above all watch where your mind wanders.

Such a beutiful song - brought tears to my eyes when I once learned the changes and played and "sang" it by myself...

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I was looking at that Gretsch that sells for 399... Round neck....

Be fun to have one as I am still trying to learn slide...Now that I have progressed past sounding like somebody baptising a pissed off cat, it would be nice to have a rez so I don't have to have an amp...

there's a brand that I would be cautious about . I had a Jumbo Rancher for awhile . beautiful guitar __ but it never opened up . didn't have the projection that I expected from a Jumbo ( maybe I was expecting too much ) . sounded just okay when plugged in . disappointing to say the least

I also checked out a couple of the acoustic from their Roots Collection . the double O version had a sticker for the binding . and the pickguards are the worst tortoise photo that I've ever seen on a guitar . the tuner knobs look like type of chrome plastic . just very poor quality

an example of a company just riding on the name and reputation of the past . probably trying to see what they can get away with . I expected so much more from them

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Depends a bit on what he (or she) is willing to spend. A Michael Messer "Blues" model is a good one, available in 12 or 14 fret styles and cost @ GBP 600.00. If that's too much, Johnson is a brand that makes decent resos for less than that. Looks like they are hard to come by in the UK - "Recording King" would be an alterntaive. Another option would be thomann's house brand "Harley Benton" - @ GBP 300.00. Always a good idea if you can play it first but if you can't thomann has a great return policy if you don't like what you get.

MM Blues

Harley Benton Resonator
Thanks Tom. I've forwarded him your message..

Latest Threads