The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
it is sad to see something like that . but it's also the nature of politics in the arts . the kids are just too young to understand these things yet

a couple of years ago , I was speaking to a forum member on the telephone . he was asking me about getting jobs / assignments / projects as a freelancer . so I told him The Truth . that it really is about who you know . and I pointed him to the many studies online that back up this idea

long before social networking was a thing on the internet __ it was something that happened IRL . anyone that isn't a " social creature " can benefit from becoming one . so I suggested that he attend events with important people in his community . go to a different variety of functions . even drink at the bars where the people in his field do

just the idea of this really bothered him . he told me " we don't do things like that around here " . so I responded " No . you don't do things like that . meanwhile __ everyone else is " . I wish that meritocracy was more of a thing . and the world seems to be flooded with too many people trying to play the game / fake it 'til you make it . sometimes these people succeed . and it sucks , knowing that some of them are the less talented ones

but . the people hiring for projects or assignments or whatever . they see too many of the wrong people on a regular basis . even a smidgen of ability can stand out these days .

I don't know why this is my rant this afternoon . Frank got me worked up . and I'm listening to the Dead Kennedys while reading on MLP . but that has nothing to do with it :laugh2:

this is the song on right now
"We don't do things like that around here" :laugh2:

Then "we" don't do much business do we?:facepalm:

I went to tons of galleries, openings, exhibits, fundraisers and concerts in my "carreer". And when I restored antiques and collectibles (there was an overlap in the clientele there) ..the same. The wealthy set can be rather wild themselves and they like to have the weirdos around. And there's a certain, um.."something" (can't think of the word) to be had vicariously, from hanging with artists and musicians.

Sometimes it's fun...sometimes it's an obligation you just want to get over with. The main non profit I used to work for has a huge fundraiser every year at Valentine's Day. Chocolate, champagne, art for sale, bands, in a large venue. One year it was Beatles themed, with a Beatles tribute band who performed dressed in each era. Mop Tops, Psychedelic Sergeant Peppers, and the grungy blue jeans White Album/Let It Be/Abbey Road era.

My gig was to create a large mural banner with a bunch of kids over the course of several weeks, which was being filmed. The theme was "Imagine" so we did a large Yellow Submarine-ish illustration. It was suspended at the fundraiser to be viewed as you entered while on the other side the film was projected on the other side. It illustrated what The Living Arts and Science center was all about. That year they were raising 5 million to match funds that had been offered, and that was the challenge.

Of course we didn't make that during the one fundraiser but over the course of two years, we did. To be honest I got pretty sick of it. You meet a lot of nice people but you also spend time with a lot of boors because while it's a social occasion you're also politicing. If there were babies to be kissed I Would have been kissing them I guess. :laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
is . get in . do the job . get out . like a military operation :laugh2:

( or a bank heist )
It's obviously run in the family for far too long now, I simply exchanged a halbard for a guitar..:laugh2:

Meanwhile on the Swiss left flank, the 1,200 allied heavy cavalry scattered the Burgundian horse, then galloped on to attack the now fleeing Burgundian centre. There was no escape route for Charles’s new model army, and the Swiss, pledging no quarter, took no prisoners. A timely sortie by the Swiss garrison in Murten aggravated the Burgundian situation, striking the broken army in the rear. In the ensuing massacre, the duke lost 12,000 men, cut down or drowned in nearby Lake Murten. Swiss casualties were light, only 410 men. The Burgundians also lost their artillery park, with the Swiss profiting by the acquisition of another 200 guns.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Was just getting ready to take the dogs out when Melinda pointed to two does and a fawn in the back yard. So calm. I'm afraid the dogs will have to wait until they move along. Wasn't able to get any good pics of them as they were too far away.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score

I went to tons of galleries, openings, exhibits, fundraisers and concerts in my "carreer". And when I restored antiques and collectibles (there was an overlap in the clientele there) ..the same. The wealthy set can be rather wild themselves and they like to have the weirdos around. And there's a certain, um.."something" (can't think of the word) to be had vicariously, from hanging with artists and musicians.

Sometimes it's fun...sometimes it's an obligation you just want to get over with. The main non profit I used to work for has a huge fundraiser every year at Valentine's Day. Chocolate, champagne, art for sale, bands, in a large venue. One year it was Beatles themed, with a Beatles tribute band who performed dressed in each era. Mop Tops, Psychedelic Sergeant Peppers, and the grungy blue jeans White Album/Let It Be/Abbey Road era.

My gig was to create a large mural banner with a bunch of kids over the course of several weeks, which was being filmed. The theme was "Imagine" so we did a large Yellow Submarine-ish illustration. It was suspended at the fundraiser to be viewed as you entered while on the other side the film was projected on the other side. It illustrated what The Living Arts and Science center was all about. That year they were raising 5 million to match funds that had been offered, and that was the challenge.

Of course we didn't make that during the one fundraiser but over the course of two years, we did. To be honest I got pretty sick of it. You meet a lot of nice people but you also spend time with a lot of boors because while it's a social occasion you're also politicing. If there were babies to be kissed I Would have been kissing them I guess. :laugh2:
The 5 million was to build the abomination on the right.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score

it was sort of insulting __ because this person had reached out to me . and then talked down to me like I was a sleazy used car salesman or something :laugh2:
The wealthy set can be rather wild themselves and they like to have the weirdos around.
this is so true . the wealthy and bored like to keep freaks around like pets . I was invited to a variety of different parties and events out in The Hamptons ( from people that came out to the nightclubs ) . sometimes I brought along a colorful group of friends . always felt out of place with the rich kids . and the houses they lived in :eek2: but it was a lot of fun at the time . in a very surreal way

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Was just getting ready to take the dogs out when Melinda pointed to two does and a fawn in the back yard. So calm. I'm afraid the dogs will have to wait until they move along. Wasn't able to get any good pics of them as they were too far away.
:applause:... :cheers:

Gorgeous Frank..
The only thing that shatters that absolutely gorgeous scenario is the thought of some grinning retard like that twat Ted Nugent taking shots at them just for the fun of it..
:facepalm:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
it was sort of insulting __ because this person had reached out to me . and then talked down to me like I was a sleazy used car salesman or something :laugh2:

this is so true . the wealthy and bored like to keep freaks around like pets . I was invited to a variety of different parties and events out in The Hamptons ( from people that came out to the nightclubs ) . sometimes I brought along a colorful group of friends . always felt out of place with the rich kids . and the houses they lived in :eek2: but it was a lot of fun at the time . in a very surreal way
Was this person an "ar-teest" type or what? I went through the "waiting-to-be-discovered" phase too. Sadly the world never acknowledged my genius on the level I thought I was due. :laugh2:

Then you just have to roll up your sleeves, take a deep breath, and shove your hand real deep into that barrel of shit to dig around for pearls. It also helps if you hold your nose. :rofl:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
:applause:... :cheers:

Gorgeous Frank..
The only thing that shatters that absolutely gorgeous scenario is the thought of some grinning retard like that twat Ted Nugent taking shots at them just for the fun of it..
:facepalm:
I can't see killing for enjoyment. If I had to eat, sure. I think a lot of guys don't feel comfortable just walking in the woods for enjoyment so they think they have to have a gun. God forbid they be mistaken for a faggot or something eh? :laugh2:

I spent a lot of time getting the deer not to be afraid of me at Griffith Woods. I have a lot of stories about that. They would come near me. To my mind that was a lot more of a challenge than blowing them away from a quarter mile away.

I've had some rutting bucks scare the hell out of me too, at the wrong season. I admit I thought about a gun in those times. :laugh2:

A guy in the news was killed by a buck just a few weeks ago. He thought he had killed him, but...oops!:wow: :laugh2:

Couldn't get a very good shot as the light was low...too far away...iPad camera.
image.jpeg

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I can't see killing for enjoyment. If I had to eat, sure. I think a lot of guys don't feel comfortable just walking in the woods for enjoyment so they think they have to have a gun. God forbid they be mistaken for a faggot or something eh? :laugh2:

I spent a lot of time getting the deer not to be afraid of me at Griffith Woods. I have a lot of stories about that. They would come near me. To my mind that was a lot more of a challenge than blowing them away from a quarter mile away.

I've had some rutting bucks scare the hell out of me too, at the wrong season. I admit I thought about a gun in those times. :laugh2:

A guy in the news was killed by a buck just a few weeks ago. He thought he had killed him, but...oops!:wow: :laugh2:

Couldn't get a very good shot as the light was low...too far away...iPad camera.
View attachment 425520
Lovely pic Frank...
Great neighbours too..Better than 99% of the two legged variety that's for sure.. :cheers:

Phil47uk

Reaction score

View attachment 425520
Jesus! It's a sad day when you can't walk around wild woods for enjoyment.
There are some stunning woodland areas round here with amazing wildlife and fauna.

Last edited:

Latest Threads