The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Nah.... He would have it muuuuch slower..... The regular ticks in the background helped him... I guess the consistency of the tick was such that he would subcon try to sync with it with breathing, etc... Just a guess but it helped him....

you have to know that I was kidding about the 220bpm

I've seen a few different article , stating that a slow steady rhythm ( music or metronome ) , can help slow the heart rate down . particular useful for helping people with anxiety issues

on a similar note . speaking at ( I think it's ) 60bpm __ can make a person's words more convincing . and put the listeners in an almost like a hypnotic state

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Neural oscillations are affected by music and rhythm. Delta (slow brainwaves),Theta (faster) and Delta(fastest) correspond to states of activity. Beta being the normal awake state. Been a while since I'vecreadI've about it, but I think that's correct. So it's natural that rhythm helps us tune our thoughts and it has a physiological response.

Like the epigenome we were talking about....You have natural inclinations that external influences can exacerbate or mitigate. Art and stimulus is an a amplifier or a damper depending on what it's nature is and how you take to it. It can agitate and excite or calm. Some folks are more responsive, some less. There are people who don't really listen to music. I responded to an online poll about how important music was in your life..very important..moderately important.. or not much at all. The responses shocked me. The majority of people said moderately or not at all.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
This looks fun... any thoughts, Frank, Christopher, Sid... ?

I'd like to tinker with one of those... Sounds interesting... Irritating that folks almost never demo stuff in an exposed 'legato' fashion....

I'd like to see scematics of the EHX pedals too. They are impressive as hell for being so cheap...

On another note, I am seriously considering buying a EWI5000 sometime this coming year... Cool instrument....

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Why did you have to show me that? :shock: :laugh2:

I'm a big fan of Roland synthesis and have much of the capabilities of that device in my Roland VG-8 and GRD units. It looks fun...IF that's what you like. And if you can use it in your musical style.

Bear in mind though that a GK pickup is necessary to fit to your guitar and that's another 2-300 dollars. Plus the setup of string balance and pickup height is critical. If you haven't done it before, it's not extremely difficult. If you have a tech install it that's another expense of course.

There are pedals that give you synth capabilities without a special pickup. Not as accurate for some things but much cheaper. If you've never tried guitar synthesis before you might try them first. I would imagine the Boss is rather expensive. I would certainly review it at a music store first. You might hate it. :laugh2:

However, the modeling aspect is nothing to sneeze at. Roland COSM synthesis allows for guitar pickup and body modeling...something missing in amp modelers.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Also important for mounting (the pickup) is the type of guitar. A Gibson style bridge you need a mounting bracket which often (but not always) comes with. On a Strat type guitar you must drill some tiny holes for the screws and spring mounting. That means if you change your mind you have to live with that or replace the guard.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
That's why radio has been formatted decades ago...acoustic wallpaper. :wow:
Really, I was shocked. I don't remember exactly but I think only about 17% of the respondents said music was "very important" in their lives.

No wonder the world is in such shit shape. You have a bunch of insensitive dimwits running things. :laugh2:

BBD

Reaction score

BBD

Reaction score
Really, I was shocked. I don't remember exactly but I think only about 17% of the respondents said music was "very important" in their lives.
And lots don't give a fuck about the environment either. Really, I'm not sure we're worth saving.

How EHX pulls this series of pedals off, I don't know..... Pretty damn cool for the prices...
Thanks for posting that lot! I need a quiet moment to sit down properly and listen to the demos.

Last edited:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Because I am the Serpent :naughty:

Unless I've misunderstood the PR, not with this unit. [EDIT:] Can be used without - best with, apparently

Yup, $999 I think.
The Roland Gr-D Space Distortion I have allows for standard pickup input and sounds very good that way. But with polyphonic synth effects just not as good. If you aren't inclined to go the hex pickup route I think other options like the pedals Ed showed would suffice. You can review their specific capabilities and choose or not. I for instance find piano capabilities to be the least useful on a guitar. Organ is second. It's not that easy to make a guitar (technique-wise) sound convincing in those modes and after all, that's what you want with those sounds.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I like Electro Harmonix stuff. I had a Micro Synthesizer in the late '70s early '80s that I liked a lot. It tracked very well and sounded good. The fuzz was gated so sounded a tad artificial but was very quiet. It had octave above and below capabilities as well as a mixer, triggered filter (we called it an envelope follower in those days) and sweep controls. I think they still make them. I would definitely recommend one of those.

With a delay pedal you can go apeshit. :dude:

BBD

Reaction score
I for instance find piano capabilities to be the least useful on a guitar. Organ is second. It's not that easy to make a guitar (technique-wise) sound convincing in those modes and after all, that's what you want with those sounds.
I get that intuitively. Also remember nodding along to your exchange with Phil about keyboard emulation pedals and the need for specific guitar technique to avoid sounding like shite on a tall stick.