The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Arti be playin some evil music gonna conjure up something or nutter.....
yes . :laugh2:

my Winter Mania is starting to kick in . my sleeping patterns have been off for the last couple of weeks . so I've been picking up the tablet , and looking up all sorts of strange music __ in the middle of the night

so don't thank me for the ones that I'm posting . thank me for the ones that I'm not :eek2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Ahhh. Just taking a well earned rest..:laugh2:
Sylvia out babysitting. Dogs walked and Louis taking a nap after being put in his crate after his lunch.
A nice cup of tea and Peppy asleep on my lap after playing and wrestling with Louis for the past hour.

Nice video Tom... :applause:

Not been around much yesterday as I've just discovered a whole line of ancestors on my mum's side I never new existed and simply came across them by chance researching the family name where I stumbled on someone's family tree on a genealogy site.
The furthest I got back with names was my great great grandfather and grandmother who I have a photo of and who were both born in the early 1800's.
Now I have traced names from them back to the 1276.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons . and .

HAPPY ROCK AND ROLL / TELE TUESDAY TO ALL :applause:

aluminum-guitar.jpg

( aluminium telecaster )

the weather here in NE Pennsylvania is going to be around 40F/4C for the week . mostly cloudy . still can't let it stop me from getting fresh air __ but I'm not going be leaving all of the windows open . not for several months at least

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Not been around much yesterday as I've just discovered a whole line of ancestors on my mum's side I never new existed and simply came across them by chance researching the family name where I stumbled on someone's family tree on a genealogy site.
The furthest I got back with names was my great great grandfather and grandmother who I have a photo of and who were both born in the early 1800's.
Now I have traced names from them back to the 1276.

without all of these modern technologies __ it would be much more difficult for you to satisfy these fascinations . Genealogy can be a very interesting subject to dive into . also very intense . for myself . I don't look too deeply into it , because I have to remind myself " to what end ? " . there are so many different captivating subjects to research , and now we have the tools to know SO MUCH

The Dangers Of Curiosity

( but at least we don't all seem like creeps anymore . living inside rooms full of thousands of notebooks )

Phil47uk

Reaction score
without all of these modern technologies __ it would be much more difficult for you to satisfy these fascinations . Genealogy can be a very interesting subject to dive into . also very intense . for myself . I don't look too deeply into it , because I have to remind myself " to what end ? " . there are so many different captivating subjects to research , and now we have the tools to know SO MUCH

The Dangers Of Curiosity

( but at least we don't all seem like creeps anymore . living inside rooms full of thousands of notebooks )
Yeah, it's definitely one of those subjects that either interests you or it doesn't. Sylvia has no real interest in her families history as do quite a few other people I know.
I on the other hand find the whole thing fascinating as without them I wouldn't exist.
What sort of lives did they lead, what they did etc etc...:laugh2:

BBD

Reaction score
My father researched the family history. I remember him saying that the only way it can be done with any real rigour is to visit actual churches and inspect the parish records directly - he did a great deal of this in the years before his death. IIRC he got back to about 1400 before it became too patchy to make confident statements. Apparently this holds true for most of us, unless descended from the nobility, for whom, needless to say, better records were kept as more estate inheritance was at stake.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
My personal interest in genealogy was sparked by the fact that my family was generally lost to me by the death of my parents and later adoption, during which contact with my family was discouraged. My siblings visited me exactly ONCE in my new home, and thereafter were "discouraged" from visiting me. As I many years later was told by my brothers and sister. So everything was pretty much denied me. Grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc.
When finally I resolved to make connections I went at it with fervor. For about five years. Turned out my job was made much easier as, I was told since childhood, I was related to a somewhat infamous (or famous depending on one's opinion of such things) person who's genealogy was researched by an existing organization at the turn of the last century. I just had to confirm my relationship about four generations back. Which I did, through Ancestry and Roots Web, and searches through online county records and church christenings, tax records, wills and censuses. It meant a lot to me, and not just to stroke a sense of vanity.
You may, or may not find it (genealogy) of interest or importance. That's purely the perogative of the individual.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
My father researched the family history. I remember him saying that the only way it can be done with any real rigour is to visit actual churches and inspect the parish records directly - he did a great deal of this in the years before his death. IIRC he got back to about 1400 before it became too patchy to make confident statements. Apparently this holds true for most of us, unless descended from the nobility, for whom, needless to say, better records were kept as more estate inheritance was at stake.
Well, this is true as tracing back my dad's side would most definitely involve local records in the old Soviet Empire.
On my mother's side however like you said the bourgeoisie are a little easier to trace and as the family basically descend from two lines going back to Rougemont in 1276 it makes things a lot easier.

The name also appears on the stained glass windows ( lower left ) of the local church as local prefect

Phil47uk

Reaction score
My personal interest in genealogy was sparked by the fact that my family was generally lost to me by the death of my parents and later adoption, during which contact with my family was discouraged. My siblings visited me exactly ONCE in my new home, and thereafter were "discouraged" from visiting me. As I many years later was told by my brothers and sister. So everything was pretty much denied me. Grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc.
When finally I resolved to make connections I went at it with fervor. For about five years. Turned out my job was made much easier as, I was told since childhood, I was related to a somewhat infamous (or famous depending on one's opinion of such things) person who's genealogy was researched by an existing organization at the turn of the last century. I just had to confirm my relationship about four generations back. Which I did, through Ancestry and Roots Web, and searches through online county records and church christenings, tax records, wills and censuses. It meant a lot to me, and not just to stroke a sense of vanity.
You may, or may not find it (genealogy) of interest or importance. That's purely the perogative of the individual.
Have you actually taken a DNA test Frank?
If you haven't and are interested in your family history you really should do.
I know some reviews are a bit down on the results they received but I'd hazard a guess that's because the results that came back weren't what they expected.
Mine were absolutely spot on.
You'll get a whole list of contacts that share your DNA and actually get the percentage..
Probable 3rd or 4th cousin.
You can then contact who you like privately and compare your findings etc.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I haven't, but my older brother has. As has my wife's sister. I can't say I was disappointed in the result, just skeptical of the characterizations of the analysis. They didn't really make sense to me. For instance...how is "British" different than Scottish, Welsh, or Irish? Or, given the Norman and other invasions, French and German for that matter? What IS British? It's a bit like saying my ancestors were "Americans"! :laugh2:

Weren't the Welsh the native Brythonic people? :dunno:

Great Britain 66%
Scandinavia. 14%
Europe West. 11%
Ireland, Scotland,
Wales. 4%
Europe east. 2%
Europe south. 1%

Last edited:

sliding tom

Reaction score
I haven't, but my older brother has. As has my wife's sister. I can't say I was disappointed in the result, just skeptical of the characterizations of the analysis. They didn't really make sense to me. For instance...how is "British" different than Scottish, Welsh, or Irish? Or, given the Norman and other invasions, French and German for that matter? What IS British? It's a bit like saying my ancestors were "Americans"! :laugh2:

Weren't the Welsh the native Brythonic people? :dunno:

Great Britain 66%
Scandinavia. 14%
Europe West. 11%
Ireland, Scotland,
Wales. 4%
Europe east. 2%
Europe south. 1%
True that imo....

Evening. Back from rehearsal working in our new keyboarder.

sliding tom

Reaction score
Hope this is going okay...?
So far - yes! Lady is an accomplished player - classically trained which is probably the one thing she'll have to work the hardest on - getting a feel for rhythm/phrasing of our music - the "roll" in rock'n'roll. but she is eager to learn and I'm quite optimistic that she'll be able to pull it off.

BBD

Reaction score
She may have trouble improvising as classically-trained musicians sometimes do. But if you work from a score (?) then as you say, once she gets into the swing she should be okay. Must be fun for her, to move out of one musical world and into another.

Right, signing off for the evening as much reading to do.

:wave: