The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Definitely. Essential to a concept of orienteering in my book. Helps kids kind of get it.
Might actually stem the profligation of Flat Earthers a mite. :laugh2:

Although judging from some of the threads on the forum at large...that could really take a bite outta the membership. :shock:

Damn. "profligate" doesn't look right. It won't do to impugn the intelligence of the locals while mispelling myself.

No wait. Now it looks right. Better take my meds.

BBD

Reaction score
Definitely. Essential to a concept of orienteering in my book. Helps kids kind of get it.
Might actually stem the profligation of Flat Earthers a mite.
Difficult to get the orbital dynamics of obliquity and precession and their effect on seasonality to work properly with a flat disc... :laugh2: :facepalm:

Damn. "profligate" doesn't look right.
Proliferation?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might actually stem the profligation of Flat Earthers a mite. :laugh2:

Although judging from some of the threads on the forum at large...that could really take a bite outta the membership. :shock:

Damn. "profligate" doesn't look right. It won't do to impugn the intelligence of the locals while mispelling myself.

No wait. Now it looks right. Better take my meds.

ZorgInsipid.jpg

BBD

Reaction score
however you choose to look at it . is important to celebrate the Changes Of Seasons
It's a funny one, this. If it wasn't for obliquity - the axial tilt of the Earth responsible for seasonality - then there wouldn't have been glaciations during the Carboniferous which caused sea level to rise and fall by tens, perhaps hundreds of metres. So the vast coastal forests of the period would not have been periodically inundated and then buried by sediment. There would be much less coal around in the Industrial era as a result and things might have been very different.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Bingo! What the hell was I think
Difficult to get the orbital dynamics of obliquity and precession and their effect on seasonality to work properly with a flat disc... :laugh2: :facepalm:

Proliferation?
Bingo! What the hell was I thinking? :laugh2:
Inventing words is a sign of either genius or senility.
Doesn't help that I'm wrestling a dodgy touchscreen.

BBD

Reaction score
What gets me is the omnipresence of lying US English spell checkers that constantly insist that I cannot spell. Basically the effing things gaslight you all the time until you get muddled between US and Proper English spelling and start to sod it all up... :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Arguing with Flat Earthers on Farcebook is truly jaw dropping. Video live steamed from space of astronauts in orbit around a sphere? Conspiracy!... Then they go on and on about the "firmament". Seriously!
The pseudo scientific Nazi doctrine of Fire and Ice is reborn withh these idiots.

Last edited:

BBD

Reaction score
I've had that problem for a while now. I guess I was used to English spelling. Specifically words that I was sure was spelled with an s, are "corrected" with a z.
I noticed you mentioned this fairly recently - meant to say something earlier but... I forgot :laugh2:

Arguing with Flat Earthers on Farcebook is truly jaw dropping.
Flat Earthers, climate change deniers, anti-vaxxers, moon landing 'sceptics' etc. etc. All capable of the same shut-eyed rejection of overwhelming evidence... the retreat from rationalism, the anti-Enlightenment, call it what you will but it's on the march and needs all the pushback one can muster.

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Arguing with Flat Earthers on Farcebook is truly jaw dropping. Video live steamed from space of astronauts in orbit around a sphere? Conspiracy!... Then they go on and on about the "firmament". Seriously!
The pseudo scientific Nazi doctrine of Fire and Ice is reborn withh these idiots.
There's lots of interesting videos on YouTube with some big brain scientists taking these muppets apart atom by atom. Funny stuff.

EDIT: Forgot I'm subscribed to this youtube channel. Love the way this guy puts across his arguments.

Last edited:

BBD

Reaction score
There's lots of interesting videos on YouTube with some big brain scientists taking these muppets apart atom by atom. Funny stuff.
The scary part is that it doesn't matter what you present to these 'reality sceptics'. They, ahem, flatly reject it wholesale.

I'm not used to that (or at least I wasn't until I got sucked into the climate change 'debate') and I still find that toxic combination of paranoia, ignorance and intellectual arrogance hard to take sometimes.

Evidence is evidence. Facts are facts. Nature bats last. All sane people understand this.

Latest Threads