The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
An incredibly sad day today.
We had to have our beloved Inka put down.
She was a good old age . Thirteen for a German Shepherd.
We decided for the vet to come round rather than take her there, so she went peacefully to sleep on her bed in the living room.
Sylvia lost it when the time came and I'll openly admit so did I. The Kleenex have been in use all morning.
Our loyal and faithful friend since 2006. We couldn't have wished for a lovelier dog.

On the day she arrived...

View attachment 406806

And about an hour ago just before the vet arrived.

View attachment 406808

R.I.P my babe..xxxxx
I am so sorry to hear this, Phil. It feels like we've lost a member of the thread, she was always a presence here. My belated sympathies to you, Sylvia, Lauren, and family.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Few people realize Edro had a twin. Bein' backwoods folks, and his daddy bein' mindful of the challenges of havin' TWO giant mouths to feed, he tol' the midwife to drown the ugly one.
That's why Edro's such a good swimmer.

BBD

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Christopher :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Sorry for the belated response - been afk since Friday - friends visiting Friday and stayed over and the road had its street party yesterday...

My head is ringing like a struck bell - two *massive* nights in succession. Woe is me.

And then there's eight or nine PAGES of this madness to catch up. Haven't you feckers got anything better to do than post your unhinged ravings on the internet?? :laugh2:

Although that was a good rant by Edro a few pages back :applause:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Ironically the whole Jasco and I saga started off as a prank and many of those old feud threads were set up. Yes , we did disagree on many things but the whole thing was conducted as a straight faced tongue in cheek clash of antlers. Me usually taking the piss and him usually raging.
Back in the old days most people took it for what it was and had a good old laugh but unfortunately over the years membership here changed and certain types decided to join in on either side. The main difference being that these know it all's were actually serious and even more disturbingly took themselves very seriously too . I know Vasco personally and he knows me and whereas I can get away with saying something outrageous to him or visa versa others who tried the same thing didn't quite receive the same response.
Vasco tends to get angrier than me whilst I tend to stick the dagger in with a smile on my face.

On a couple of occasions things got slightly out of hand ( to say the least) not only with certain MLP members but also from other Brits who we knew and who had attended meets. Diversionary camps started to set up so we mutually decided to call it a day.
Vasco is a twat of that there is no doubt. :laugh2: but then so am I. But! and here's the big but, whereas he would take that from me and come out with something even more outrageous he wouldn't take it from any old Tom Dick or Harry and quite frankly nor would I.
Unfortunately these sad individuals full of their own self importance tried to muscle in on the act ( from both sides I will admit) and assert themselves by trying to drive a wedge into the whole thing and on occasion things got nasty. Nobody here in this thread at present I can assure you but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where I'm coming from.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Hey Edro - want a good laugh? Watch this:

:facepalm:
Ha. Used to do those kind of finish repairs all the time. It was my specialty. Try doing it on site on a bigass conference table. Mohawk touchup kit, toolbox, airbrush.
First off, it's probably a poly finish. :facepalm:
Sorry, that looks like dog poop. Shoulda tried heat and/or Formby's refinisher.

Last edited:

sliding tom

Reaction score
Ouch, what a mess was there. He did a pretty good job, all things considered. And as Moo said - the owner laid down a tidy few licks at the end
I think the guy is a hack in most of his repair jobs. He admits he's colourblind (I didn't know this before) but attempts to match colours (by feel?) and has done so before. Like Friggsley mentioned: it's pretty obvious that it's a poly finish but he says that he thinks it's laquer. At the end of the video he reads the serial number from the neck "Made in Japan - Nr.xxxxxxxx. I think this is an old guitar from the sixties!" :laugh2:

You should check out the video he made on fixing an ES 339. He admits that he doesn't know s**t about electric guitars and makes a lot of mistakes he could have avoided easily using the internet.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
First off, he didn't remove the hardware and electronics to get a complete surface. It would have been easier just to sand the top then airbrush. Might even have been faster. Who gives a crap about preserving a poly finish!? :facepalm:
Heat would have flexed the poly back down, but you're never going to reflow it. And staining wood on a body with a toned finish is going to look VERY different as it penetrates rather than sits on top. He should have made transluscent mixes of a poly finish in three tones and layered them consecutively as glazes, adjusting as he went, filling the valley. He could have stopped before it got too dark and filled the rest with clearcoat. The poly will yellow somewhat too. He did try though. Even though he avowed he was color blind, it wasn't the hue so much as the values he screwed up.

And really, because of the nature of poly finishes,there's no guarantee it's going to bond to the edges of those cracks and not lift in the not too distant future. wonder what the guy paid for that? :shock:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this, Phil. It feels like we've lost a member of the thread, she was always a presence here. My belated sympathies to you, Sylvia, Lauren, and family.
Thanks Thumps.
She attended every Bridport meet BBQ wandering through the crowd in the hope someone was going to accidentally drop a morsel of food onto the lawn.:laugh2:
She'll be sadly missed.

BBD

Reaction score
I think the guy is a hack in most of his repair jobs.
Well, I freely admit that my advice to the owner would be a full strip and refinish. You can't do more than a bodge repair over damage like that, especially if it is poly and not nitro as Friggsley says.

"Made in Japan - Nr.xxxxxxxx. I think this is an old guitar from the sixties!" :laugh2:
Now that did make me wonder, but I don't really know much about MIJs although I thought they were done in the 80s?

sliding tom

Reaction score
Well, I freely admit that my advice to the owner would be a full strip and refinish. You can't do more than a bodge repair over damage like that, especially if it is poly and not nitro as Friggsley says.

Now that did make me wonder, but I don't really know much about MIJs although I thought they were done in the 80s?
Right - no MIJ in the sixties....:facepalm: