The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Actually I was impressed when the old boy at the jam came in on Summertime.
I use the haunting m6 voicing of the original Porgy and Bess Gershwin version.
I was expecting the usual Aminor B minor whereas he joined me on the m6 inversions.
I look forward to seeing him tomorrow.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Meant to say howdy to Charlie and Tim as well, although we (Tim) chat on Farcebook occasionally. Also NRBQ and whoever else I forgot. My Galaxy phone went belly up and I'm struggling with an old tablet that has a screen anomaly. I'l have to break out the laptop I guess.

Just came in from cutting wood. Had several trees cut down to clear an area for a workshop. It was 93f today with high humidity. A week ago the high was 100. Ugh. Been doing this for about a week. Enough to make your defribrillator kick in.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
:lol:
Nah, I keep a low profile on all that sort of stuff and leave it to others to organise.
Start taking over things and you can come over as conceited , especially if you play for a living.
Mind you there was an old boy there the other day who surprised me. I was expecting the usual old jang jang jang three chord stuff but was pleasantly surprised to see him using some nice chords, 6's , 9'ths etc so we played quite a few together.
In fact he's coming round my house tomorrow for a jam which should be fun.
He's got a 335 which he's bringing round and he's also got a Vibrolux at home.
Perhaps we'll work on a couple for the next jam.
Better play your cards close to your chest or you'll wind up being volunteered for something. :shock::laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Better play your cards close to your chest or you'll wind up being volunteered for something. :shock::laugh2:
That's always the way Frank..:laugh2:
I don't mind helping out but if they want me to organise things then it's going to cost them £££'s.
Pubs always make money on jam nights but they've got to realise that other people have to make a living from their profession too.
I'll help anybody but I don't run a charity to put money into publicans pockets on a regular basis.
These events have enough people queuing up to play and organise things for nothing without my assistance..:laugh2:
Anyway I go to them basically to support students who need the experience.
Mercenary bastard aren't I?. :rofl:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
I'm officially done with volunteering. My wife has tried to drag me into several projects in the last few years and I firmly declined. I don't have the patience, energy, or much else to give at this point. I've done plenty in my life for various causes and organizations. I'm resting on my laurels. Although my wife uses a different word. :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Actually I was impressed when the old boy at the jam came in on Summertime.
I use the haunting m6 voicing of the original Porgy and Bess Gershwin version.
I was expecting the usual Aminor B minor whereas he joined me on the m6 inversions.
I look forward to seeing him tomorrow.

Been listening to the various iterations of this song from Porgy and Bess of late. Ella and Louie, Cab and Nat, Sammy Davis... Sting has a version, which is pretty unremarkabe.

This one is a little odd as the audience has many kids and parents in it. Today someone would have a stroke given the message of the song. :laugh2:

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Not yet..:laugh2:
Actually they are all very nice.
I've kept a low profile musically in the village since we've been here but last week they had an open mic night at the local pub so I thought "Oh bugger it, I'll go and join in to promote local music" .
The next one is on the first of Oct, so Lauren is coming down to do a few and we'll get some pupils down to do some numbers too.
I figgered the proximity might be a tad closer than you were used to living in The Shire. I thought the curmudgeon in you might bloom a mite. I'm pretty sure I would have made a mortal enemy by now. :laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I'm officially done with volunteering. My wife has tried to drag me into several projects in the last few years and I firmly declined. I don't have the patience, energy, or much else to give at this point. I've done plenty in my life for various causes and organizations. I'm resting on my laurels. Although my wife uses a different word. :laugh2:
:lol:....You sound just like me.
Karl Fredrickson...:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Been listening to the various iterations of this song from Porgy and Bess of late. Ella and Louie, Cab and Nat, Sammy Davis... Sting has a version, which is pretty unremarkabe.

This one is a little odd as the audience has many kids and parents in it. Today someone would have a stroke given the message of the song. :laugh2:

Oh yeah, most definitely.
The PC brigade would be straight onto that one in seconds flat and you can bet your arse that if they tried to stage that at some universities over here they'd want to ban it.
In fact they already want to ban clapping.
Personally I think some of these idiots need a slap round the back of the head but then again I suppose that would only make them spill their turmeric sprinkled iced latte...:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I figgered the proximity might be a tad closer than you were used to living in The Shire. I thought the curmudgeon in you might bloom a mite. I'm pretty sure I would have made a mortal enemy by now. :laugh2:

Although I'm very gregarious and will chat the hind legs of a donkey with most people I do tend to keep myself to myself and not get involved in social activities.
There are loads of activities round here.Book club, film club, gardening club, church bell ringers etc etc etc but I would never involve myself in coffee mornings and all that sort of thing.
Once you start down that road people start expecting things off you on a regular basis and I'm not really interested in all that sort of thing.