The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Good day folkses! :wave:

That's quite unusual for you, isn't it? To voluntarily walk into a pub jam night....

So how was it?
Well, I only went there to try and promote music in the village but as I told them I have no intention of running or organising things.
I'll put the word round for some of Lauren's and my students to get down and perform which is a good experience for them. It's only an acoustic open mic night as they don't hold a music licence for full blown bands which in one way isn't a bad idea as it cuts down on drummers taking half an hour to set up and bass players with amps the size of a telephone kiosks taking over the evening. ..:laugh2:
Just a nice cosy little venue for people to join in on numbers or showcase their own material. If one wants to go the full hog with bands one can always hire out the village hall with a big stage.
Lauren couldn't make it as she only flew in from the Czech Republic a couple of hours earlier but now we know when the next one will be we can sort out a few people for them and put the word around.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I didn't know you'd need a licence for featuring live music. Is that due to musician's union?

Or Dom - I've hear he's a great picker! :naughty:
I must admit I thought it was only if the audience exceeded 500 but I may be wrong.
I'll have to look that one up.
I suppose they also don't want live bands because of the noise level in a small sleepy village.
Experienced players know how to control their volume at venues like that but unfortunately many bands don't and are simply too bloody loud as the word subtle isn't part of their vocabulary..

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must admit I thought it was only if the audience exceeded 500 but I may be wrong.
I'll have to look that one up.
I suppose they also don't want live bands because of the noise level in a small sleepy village.
Experienced players know how to control their volume at venues like that but unfortunately many bands don't and are simply too bloody loud as the word subtle isn't part of their vocabulary..
Probably afraid of the influence of old musicians like that strange guy that sits outside that plant nursery in that picture someone posted in here.......

I'd feel kinda nervous too...

:laugh2:

79standard

Reaction score
Hi Gang!
I had my sister over for a couple of days and she bequeathed a gently used Mac unto me! It's been reverted to factory specs, a clean slate.
This is a Very Big Deal.
I merely have to do all the tiresome setup crap that follows creating account names and passwords and etc.
I may have to hit the Mac store for that,
but hey, free Mac!
Woohoo!

Not a moment too soon, as my 2011 PC and my 2017 android are in a race to see which one will sh*t the bed first.

This is a mere 48 hrs or so after my friends gave me a gently used Win10 machine, so for things that require Windoze (like freshening up my TomTom GPS), I have that covered. They also gave me an audio interface that someone at work was throwing away because it wasn't all shiny and new anymore.

So,
One Mac in great shape,
One Tascam US-122L audio interface,
One Win10 PC in great shape, and
One 2011 Linux machine whose CPU is always maxed out but could be useful for storage and non-internet tasks.

It's a nice situation in which to find oneself, but daunting for a technophobe .
I'll "get it all sorted" eventually.

In the meantime, I am basking in the glow of Good Free Stuff.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g afternoons and evenings

I have friends who play rigs like that.
They know their stuff.
They bloody well HAVE to.
It is a very, very different world from ours.
I fooled around with modular in the 90s . nothing like that rack mount ( I wasn't that organized :laugh2: ) __ but I had quite a few pieces that I bought from the Russian fellows in the neighborhood , that would build and repair all sorts of different equipment . I got into the computer synths in the early 2000s . then I had to pull away from that " tweaking hell "
I bet it is Tim.
I wouldn't have the faintest idea of what to do with something like that. How to plug it in for a start, let alone play it.
not as complicated as it might seem . it *can* get very complicated . but it doesn't have to be .
Jesus!....Imagine carting that lot to a gig...:laugh2:
Richard D. James ( Aphex Twin ) travels to his DJ sets with a very small setup + laptop . about 3 feet x 2 feet

AphexRig.jpg

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
I had my sister over for a couple of days and she bequeathed a gently used Mac unto me! It's been reverted to factory specs, a clean slate.
This is a Very Big Deal.
I merely have to do all the tiresome setup crap that follows creating account names and passwords and etc.
but hey, free Mac!
Woohoo!

Not a moment too soon, as my 2011 PC and my 2017 android are in a race to see which one will sh*t the bed first.

This is a mere 48 hrs or so after my friends gave me a gently used Win10 machine, so for things that require Windoze (like freshening up my TomTom GPS), I have that covered. They also gave me an audio interface that someone at work was throwing away because it wasn't all shiny and new anymore.

So,
One Mac in great shape,
One 2011 Linux machine whose CPU is always maxed out but could be useful for storage and non-internet tasks.

It's a nice situation in which to find oneself, but daunting for a technophobe .

GREAT NEWS , Tim :applause:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Hi Gang!
This is a Very Big Deal.
but hey, free Mac!
Woohoo!

So,
One Mac in great shape,

Congrats Tim...Here's too many happy hours future use with it all ... :cheers:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Macs are great machines.... I just never got around to getting one....

We almost NEVER see a Mac in the computer side of the company....
they are great machines . and so much AV software runs great on them . I just never liked the propriety aspect of their whole system . not ready to become part of The Apple Lifestyle yet . . .

79standard

Reaction score
g afternoons and evenings

I fooled around with modular in the 90s . nothing like that rack mount ( I wasn't that organized :laugh2: ) __ but I had quite a few pieces that I bought from the Russian fellows in the neighborhood , that would build and repair all sorts of different equipment . I got into the computer synths in the early 2000s . then I had to pull away from that " tweaking hell "

not as complicated as it might seem . it *can* get very complicated . but it doesn't have to be .

Richard D. James ( Aphex Twin ) travels to his DJ sets with a very small setup + laptop . about 3 feet x 2 feet

View attachment 405653
That's a great rig there in the bottom photo.
My pal Matthew Azevedo has a lovely rig somewhat like that, and my pal Bill T Miller works with mod synths *and* circuit-bent toys and a tennis racket set up with a door spring and pickups and... wow...
These cats make a joyful noise indeed.