The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
It was indeed, with really good vibrato.
Haunting tunes, both of them.
Thanks Tim.
It's really strange hearing these old sessions decades after they were recorded.
Obviously other than the recording of "it's only love" which was a band I was directly involved with the others were just a job of work. Somebody phones you up , asks you if can be in the studio at bla bla on the bla bla and the next thing you know is saying hello to all the guys piling through the door.
You lay the framework down and you've got a break for a day while the string section of an orchestra come in to do their bit. Then perhaps backing singers might arrive.
The next time you go in you then add on all the little extras "could you put a fill in there ?"or perhaps "anyone got any ideas to beef up the chorus?"..More debating, more recording..Then comes the time you've been waiting for " That's a wrap, we'll be doing the mixing on Friday". Everyone is handed a wage packet and the producer says " Anyone fancy a curry?"....:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Talking of embarrassing string breaking moments, there's only one that really springs to mind big time.
I was once working with P. J Proby and we were doing Polk Salad Annie.

I'm just starting the solo and Jim tells the rest of the band to keep down..
I'm really getting into it with Jim shouting 'Way down Phil' ( Meaning higher up the board.).
Then suddenly.. Whack.. My top E goes..Shit!
I shout over to him to wind up the solo early and point to the string.. He's so out of it on booze , all he keeps saying is 'Way down Phil, way down' ... Oh f*ck...:shock:
Eventually I am virtually off the board on the B string and get so pissed that he's not listening I shout at the top of my voice.... 'Jim, my f*cking E strings broke '.
Unbeknown to me I shouted it right across the bass players mic, so everyone in the venue heard it..
The next thing I know the whole audience is singing along with the band in the chorus 'Polk Salad Annie, he's broke f*cking E string '...........

If the ground could have swallowed me up.
....:laugh2:

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
News just in from Oke.
The Hippster so Tom has informed me has recently purchased a pair of second hand "ghost trousers" from Ted's old emporium on eBay for $275 US (Including shipping from England) so that's why we haven't seen him of late..He did purchase them about two months ago but when he unwrapped the package and moved it he couldn't find them for several weeks.
So let's give him three hearty hippsters..

sliding tom

Reaction score
News just in from Oke.
The Hippster so Tom has informed me has recently purchased a pair of second hand "ghost trousers" from Ted's old emporium on eBay for $275 US (Including shipping from England) so that's why we haven't seen him of late..He did purchase them about two months ago but when he unwrapped the package and moved it he couldn't find them for several weeks.
So let's give him three hearty hippsters..

:thumb: :applause: :applause: :applause:

79standard

Reaction score
That may be better accepted than: "A set of 10-46's please and two extra g-strings. Wrap 'em up please while I go out for a fag!" :laugh2:
Speaking of slang, does anyone know if Brits still use "gear" as a positive adjective?
"Cor, that's a gear motor, mate!"
...I could have sworn I heard someone in Hard Day's Night use "gear" to mean "awesome," but Google has been of zero help.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Speaking of slang, does anyone know if Brits still use "gear" as a positive adjective?
"Cor, that's a gear motor, mate!"
...I could have sworn I heard someone in Hard Day's Night use "gear" to mean "awesome," but Google has been of zero help.
Not really Tim. I think gear was more a sort of 60's Liverpudlian expression for "the business" ( that suit is gear)' more than down here in the south where I've never really heard the expression used.
"Gear" down here would have been used more in Cockney like " get your laughing gear round this" meaning mouth.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Absolute silence this evening outside our house and not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!' I chortled in my joy , then went and ate a sausage roll that was intended for a goy.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
The night sky in 4 billion years.
If only the Hippster could get up to warp factor 1,000 in the Pinky Ponk imagine the wondrous sights he would see.

Now there's an idea worth exploring..Warp trousers..

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I have friends who play rigs like that.
They know their stuff.
They bloody well HAVE to.
It is a very, very different world from ours.
I bet it is Tim.
I wouldn't have the faintest idea of what to do with something like that. How to plug it in for a start, let alone play it.
Jesus!....Imagine carting that lot to a gig...:laugh2:

Last edited: