The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Back from the supermarket.
I decided on chicken fajitas tonight with smokey seasoning, jalapenos, soured cream, salsa etc.
So what more appropriate on a Straturday afternoon than this, especially when one of Sid's old flames briefly takes to the dance floor at 0:27...:laugh2:

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Back from the supermarket.
I decided on chicken fajitas tonight with smokey seasoning, jalapenos, soured cream, salsa etc.
So what more appropriate on a Straturday afternoon than this, especially when one of Sid's old flames briefly takes to the dance floor at 0:27...:laugh2:

I like to listen to bands like that from time to time....

Several classically trained musicians there (especially that trumpeter), making side chippies playing fun stuff....

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I like to listen to bands like that from time to time....

Several classically trained musicians there (especially that trumpeter), making side chippies playing fun stuff....
Yep, they certainly know what they are doing that's for sure..:dude:
It's amazing..I met a guy not long ago that thought the circle of fifths was invented by rock guitarists... :facepalm:
I don't think he believed me when I said classical composers used that trick all the time so I played him this and explained that Mozart used the tonic to go to the sub dominant then used that sub dominant as the new tonic to go to its sub dominant which then in turn become the new tonic etc etc ( And in reverse) linking each chord chromatically to the next.
He looked at me as if I were insane..:shock:
Can't be....Surely 80's shred bands invented it...:laugh2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mozart was brilliant beyond brilliant....

In some of his works, if one listens close, he is 'musically cracking a joke' to see who is paying attention.... He would churn out some pieces I guess to earn his money but he'd toss in some 'just for the hell of it' phrases/parts in the middle of it........

Probably the highest IQ of any that ever lived... He would have been a hellacious mathematician had he wanted but woulda been too much like work for him I think...

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g afternoons and evenings

quick question . does 30 minutes seem excessive __ for warming up tubes ( ? ) . the Traynor is a Class A 15 watt , with 2 AXL7 + 2 EL84 . I hearing from a few people , that it " needs " a warm up of at least a half an hour

is this just gearhead nonsense ? or does it make sense . . .

MooCheng

Reaction score
dunno, a lot of the audiophile folks say tubes sound better after fully warmed up, but hearing some of the stuff them guys come up with you have to wonder how they arrived at where they are

Guitar amps, I'm not sure. I just switch them on and get cracking. By the time got the guitar out its case and faffed about finding this and that and parked me ass, I guess the tubes are more or less warmed up ready.

Nice to see JV drop by how I miss Phil and Johns jousting.

luckily we have the evidence of a dispute over Johns uninhibited opinion of couscous

sliding tom

Reaction score
g afternoons and evenings

quick question . does 30 minutes seem excessive __ for warming up tubes ( ? ) . the Traynor is a Class A 15 watt , with 2 AXL7 + 2 EL84 . I hearing from a few people , that it " needs " a warm up of at least a half an hour

is this just gearhead nonsense ? or does it make sense . . .
Bullshit! Just takes a couple of minutes for the tubes to heat up and then they're ready to go. The Perception of a tube amp sounding better after a half hour of gigging has more to do with ear fatigue: You'll hear less high frequencies and thus the amp seems to sound "warmer"...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
What Tom said....

They'll heat fairly quick in minutes....

Voltage operated devices..... Law of charges type stuff.... Bias is controlled so I don't think operating point is gonna dance much....

MooCheng

Reaction score
Bullshit! Just takes a couple of minutes for the tubes to heat up and then they're ready to go. The Perception of a tube amp sounding better after a half hour of gigging has more to do with ear fatigue: You'll hear less high frequencies and thus the amp seems to sound "warmer"...
think your right there Tom, its maybe, a perception thing. After half hour or so playing ya' ears get accustomed to the sound. I find the same with SS amps and they ain't got any tubes to warm up

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
What Tom said....

They'll heat fairly quick in minutes....

Voltage operated devices..... Law of charges type stuff.... Bias is controlled so I don't think operating point is gonna dance much....

thanks guys . I suspected as much . years ago I worked with synth equipment , and many of the modules were analog / tube driven ( when everyone was so into the new digital __ I was buying the good stuff from them at dirt cheap prices )

I never heard about half an hour warmed up tubes in that crowd :laugh2:

Tom's ear fatigue point makes total sense

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks guys . I suspected as much . years ago I worked with synth equipment , and many of the modules were analog / tube driven ( when everyone was so into the new digital __ I was buying the good stuff from them at dirt cheap prices )

I never heard about half an hour warmed up tubes in that crowd :laugh2:

Tom's ear fatigue point makes total sense

Back in the days of pure analog synths (Si composition control devices with a few Ge thrown in here and there), they needed to warm up - and stabilize - temperature wise.... Once temp was stable and everything was at operating temp, they would stay in tune.... Hot didn't enter into it. Rather it was 'static' temp in that the temp was not changing anymore... Back then, I always tried to get to the venue an hour early each night and make sure the Prophet had time to warm up and stabilize before I'd check tuning. The Korgs pretty much didn't give a shit (hybrids - dig/analog)... When I had Moogs, I would warm those too before tuning...

I wanted to warm the Rhodes with a bonfire every time I toted the damn thing... Heard a Korg DW8000 Rhodes patch and went to buying Korgs and dumped that oblong ass unbalanced Rhodes...

BBD

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for the weather to hold out.
It was *brilliant* today - 19C, no clouds until 5:00pm, good brisk westerly, SOLID surf... Absolutely knackered after a mere two hours in the washing machine :) Back from the pub, decent meal, several pints of additional key nutrients - all good. Looks set for two weeks of similar, now the jet has shifted back north of the UK.

quick question . does 30 minutes seem excessive __ for warming up tubes ( ? ) .
Yup -- all answered above by Tom and Edro,

Bullshit! Just takes a couple of minutes for the tubes to heat up and then they're ready to go.
Yup :)

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Back in the days of pure analog synths (Si composition control devices with a few Ge thrown in here and there), they needed to warm up - and stabilize - temperature wise.... Once temp was stable and everything was at operating temp, they would stay in tune.... Hot didn't enter into it. Rather it was 'static' temp in that the temp was not changing anymore... Back then, I always tried to get to the venue an hour early each night and make sure the Prophet had time to warm up and stabilize before I'd check tuning. The Korgs pretty much didn't give a shit (hybrids - dig/analog)... When I had Moogs, I would warm those too before tuning...
speaking of synths . I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow , to check out this VST plugin

https://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer/

supposed to be a good emulation of the Moog Voyager . would I like the real deal ? . who wouldn't ? but my shopping list of things that I would like from that company easily out - prices what I would be willing to pay for a new car

so . free is good . I'll definitely pay if I think that I'll favor the plugin

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Mozart was brilliant beyond brilliant....

In some of his works, if one listens close, he is 'musically cracking a joke' to see who is paying attention.... He would churn out some pieces I guess to earn his money but he'd toss in some 'just for the hell of it' phrases/parts in the middle of it........

Probably the highest IQ of any that ever lived... He would have been a hellacious mathematician had he wanted but woulda been too much like work for him I think...
Had the grandkids all day and they have crashed out in the other room so not had much time to catch up..Will attempt that later..:laugh2:
I think Mozart was a genius musically but Beethoven was probably smarter business wise and selling his music etc.
Evidently Mozart was extremely childish with a fetish for fart jokes etc and absolutely hopeless with money spending most of it on clothes and drink.
Not sure about the all round IQ bit but he certainly had a genius and fanatical focus about his music.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
dunno, a lot of the audiophile folks say tubes sound better after fully warmed up, but hearing some of the stuff them guys come up with you have to wonder how they arrived at where they are

Guitar amps, I'm not sure. I just switch them on and get cracking. By the time got the guitar out its case and faffed about finding this and that and parked me ass, I guess the tubes are more or less warmed up ready.

Nice to see JV drop by how I miss Phil and Johns jousting.

luckily we have the evidence of a dispute over Johns uninhibited opinion of couscous

:lol: ..Yes, I remember posting that vid up years ago showing Vasco and me feuding..:laugh2: