The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Just noticed that DNA. thread and some people who have never had it done saying it's a waste of time.. :facepalm:
Actually they are wrong, it's very accurate indeed.
I happen to already know where my ancestors came from and the test was 100% spot on..They pinpointed the countries accurately even showing migrations during the 1700's. At one point an arrow on the map pointed to a link in the UK circa 1910 and to my amazement my dad's name came up who never took a DNA test in his life.
It brought up all my cousins who had taken the test as well as Lauren who also later took the test and linked to me as daughter.
The African connection people laugh at makes perfect sense as all Cro Magon tribes would have originated from Africa anyway.
They also got it right on my dad's side moving out from Africa towards the middle east eventually ending up in Lithuania where I know they lived. And also my great great great grandfather was Halevi , meaning from the tribe of Levi.( middle east)
On my mums side they got it right too as they were Normans originally , then fled France in the Huguenot persecutions to settle in Switzerland, some emigrating in the 1700's in the Mennomite persecutions to places like Pennsylvania. You never know, I might even have some Amish kin somewhere.:laugh2:
In fact the whole thing was uncannily accurate and well worth doing.
I also have a list of over a 1,000 different names with genetic connections. Some probable and some close like third cousin etc etc.
I must admit I was extremely impressed.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
My older brother got the DNA test.
All 4 of my grandparents had German surnames and came from households where German was spoken along with English.
...and we know that the first Mungenasts arrived in the US in 1858, in Missouri, where all 4 of my grandparents were born.

So what do the DNA fairies say we are?
Half Scottish and half Eastern European.
:dunno:
No offense to the Scots (a proud and mighty people), or to Eastern Europe, but I call bulltish.

Well, Austria (Tyrolia, where the Mungenast family's real roots are) is technically Eastern Europe, but these guys are saying we're half Braveheart and Half Nicola Tesla, and I lack both the brawn and the genius to lend any credence to the DNA folks' iffy work.

As Massachusetts' DNA crime lab scandal proved, no matter how solid the scientific principles behind the testing, it can easily be trumped by careless labeling and recordkeeping. (In the Massachusetts cases, innocent people were jailed and guilty monsters ran free.)

There's a chance the DNA fairies were right, but when you have an odd name that is shared by fewer than 1000 people worldwide, and you see a statue of one of your forebears from the 1700s and he has the same gently misshapen nose as you do...

Order me up some haggis goulash, I guess.
:D

Last edited:

MooCheng

Reaction score
my wife thinks my DNA comes from another planet
I'd like to get a DNA test and prove her wrong, but.........you know, the odds aint good

good day fine folks

theres some thread waffling on about pedals, some of them pedal boards are pretty extensive. Got to thunking, never got that interested in the things myself and would'nt know what half 'em do anyway

Phil47uk

Reaction score
My older brother got the DNA test.
All 4 of my grandparents had German surnames and came from households where German was spoken along with English.
...and we know that the first Mungenasts arrived in the US in 1858, in Missouri, where all 4 of my grandparents were born.

So what do the DNA fairies say we are?
Half Scottish and half Eastern European.
No offense to the Scots (a proud and mighty people), or to Eastern Europe, but I call bulltish.

Well, Austria (Tyrolia, where the Mungenast family's real roots are) is technically Eastern Europe, but these guys are saying we're half Braveheart and Half Nicola Tesla, and I lack both the brawn and the genius to lend any credence to the DNA folks' iffy work.

As Massachusetts' DNA crime lab scandal proved, no matter how solid the scientific principles behind the testing, it can easily be trumped by careless labeling and recordkeeping. (In the Massachusetts cases, innocent people were jailed and guilty monsters ran free.)

There's a chance the DNA fairies were right, but when you have an odd name that is shared by fewer than 1000 people worldwide, and you see a statue of one of your forebears from the 1700s and he has the same gently misshapen nose as you do...

Order me up some haggis goulash, I guess.
:D
You say that Tim but it's very likely that what you think are your (known ) family roots in Austria may well go back to eastern Europe.
Say your great great great great grandmother married a guy in Austria who's family came from say Ukraine. That DNA would then show up for as long as they were in the area and hadn't interbred with a people's from another area which would then also show up down the line.
I know in my Dad's side the map points to Lithuania which was the old Russian empire and I know that they were there as far back to at least my great, great, great, great grandparents. But then the arrow pointing at Lithuania seems to originate before that from Germany which makes sense as many Ashkenazi originally from the tribes around the area of Israel would have passed through that area around 2,000 years ago and interbred with Europeans on the maternal line.
On my mother's side they are Swiss going back hundreds of years, yet the paternal name is originally an old medieval French name from Normandy which was also shown on the DNA map.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
my wife thinks my DNA comes from another planet
I'd like to get a DNA test and prove her wrong, but.........you know, the odds aint good

good day fine folks

theres some thread waffling on about pedals, some of them pedal boards are pretty extensive. Got to thunking, never got that interested in the things myself and would'nt know what half 'em do anyway
You should do MooCheng. You'd be surprised what an eye opener it can be.