The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

BBD

Reaction score
Well first of all Dom you don't seem to be asking me but rather telling me..:laugh2:
No, I'm asking you. Those squiggles at the end of sentences are question marks.

1:15 a.m. here so will get back to the rest of your post tomorrow..
Well, since once again you have entirely dodged the questions and just talked a lot of nonsense, I hold out no great hopes.

But your refusal to answer is duly noted. Again.

Others will have drawn their own conclusions by now, so the exercise is pretty much complete.

BBD

Reaction score
It's a good bottle, the 10yo. Avoid the 'Select' bottling though - it's not a proper Laphroaig, too light on the palette, lacks the character of the original. Never tried Connemara and I don't know my way around Irish whiskey like I do Scotch so tend not to buy random bottles in case I don't enjoy the contents :)

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
It's a good bottle, the 10yo. Avoid the 'Select' bottling though - it's not a proper Laphroaig, too light on the palette, lacks the character of the original. Never tried Connemara and I don't know my way around Irish whiskey like I do Scotch so tend not to buy random bottles in case I don't enjoy the contents :)
I call it "Lagavulin lite." Its one of the only peated Irish whiskies.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been asking you why you haven't objected to the way in which Brexit has mutated from a supposed desire to restore the sovereignty of Parliament and the integrity of democracy in the UK into a blatantly anti-democratic power grab by the hard right.
The Referendum was a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as to whether the UK should remain in the EU. The decision was to leave. The Government of the day made a balls-up of the negotiations, hence the present position. The Government of the day should have started things rolling from day 1 of the result. Cameron had set NOTHING in place for the eventuality of a ‘Leave’ win. The Tory Government then did apparently nothing for two years or more, and then there was a flurry of activity in the lead-up to the original leave date in March this year. There is no ‘mutation’, just simply a cock-up by Parliamentarians more concerned with their own agenda than taking forward the democratic will of the people (more on this later).

To be clear, the non-binding, advisory referendum result to leave is now being misrepresented as a mandate for no deal. This is utterly dishonest and anti-democratic. But supposedly avidly pro-democracy leavers have said nothing. Why not?
No it isn’t. The EU set out their conditions for us leaving. May negotiated. What she came up with was knocked back at every turn by Parliament. What is left is a scenario of no deals being brokered with the EU at the leaving point. Nothing is being misrepresented as any kind of mandate It is not dishonest and anti-democratic (I see you are well into the Remainer-speak). Would you have protested so vehemently that the Referendum was 'non-binding and advisory only' had the vote gone the other way? Don’t think so. Your claim therefore is disingenuous.

Worse still, the government is now apparently preparing to force through a no mandate, no deal Bexit despite a solid and unwavering Parliamentary majority rejecting no deal. This is blatantly undemocratic and traduces the sovereignty of Parliament, restoration of which which was supposed to be the entire point of Brexit. Yet leavers have not risen up to protest this assault on Parliamentary sovereignty - why not?
Why don’t those ‘Remain’ Parliamentarians get behind the Government’s attempts to sort something out? Because they are out to destroy the result of the Referendum, nothing less. Despicable, self-serving rats, the lot of them. And the Government of the day can force through any measure it wishes by using an ‘Order in Council’. This is what Thatcher did in the 1980s to remove membership of a trade union from GCHQ workers.

In summary, Brexit has revealed itself to be a sham. It is now a project that is trying to force an extreme, minority position on the nation in the face of solid Parliamentary opposition. It is nakedly anti-democratic and far exceeds anything supposedly imposed on the UK by the EU, ever.
You may think it is a sham, but then you only speak for yourself, not the whole country. It is not a minority position – last time I looked, remain lost the vote. And the vote was not anti-democratic – wherever did you get that from?

But leavers, those champions of democracy, have not spoken out. Why not?
Really don't know what you are rattling on about here. More remain rhetoric, methinks...

The very small majority by which leave won is constantly misrepresented as 'the will of the people'. It is not. It was a very small majority in a deeply compromised referendum which needs to be held again, without the cheating, without the stupid binary choice, and with a public now rather more aware of just how complex and damaging leaving the EU will be.
See my next point re ‘small majority’ (that is all that is required, or do you discard it when it doesn’t suit you?). Remainers always omit the ‘cheating’ from their own side. Such as Cameron using £9,5 million of taxpayers’ money to send out a leaflet to every household in the country to persuade the population to vote remain. Did that not try to ‘compromise’ the Referendum? I believe it did, illegally. And no one knows what the scenario will be when we leave the EU, as we haven’t been there before. I see you are in the Carney/Osbourne camp in predicting doom and gloom when you really haven’t a clue.

Why is a call for more democracy rejected flatly by the supposed champions of democracy?
The ‘call for democracy’ is bullshit from remainers. Democracy has already taken place in the form of the Referendum. It is a call for a second chance by remainers because they lost the Referendum. The Referendum was perfectly valid. In a vote such as that, there are three choices: 1) vote ‘Yes’, 2) vote ‘No’, 3) Abstain. Everyone had the opportunity to exercise their choice. To abstain was an equally valid choice as the other two. Leave won. Do we keep having Referendums until your side wins? Maybe best of three? Perhaps best of five if leave wins second time around? You talk of democracy yet you do not appear to uphold it unless it falls your way. That is hypocrisy.

I have not posted in this thread for quite a log time, but I look in regularly to read the topics discussed. I felt on this occasion I should supplement Phil's replies, since there is a lot of mis-information in what you have posted above. To link my replies for easy reading, I have posted them in red within your quoted post above.

Yes, I did vote leave in the Referendum (which, for the Mods, was a non-political cross-party event, contrary to what remainers seek to turn it into). I am not a bigot, a racist, a 'Little Englander', someone living in the past, or any of the other names leavers have been called in the last three years. I voted leave because I saw no value in £350 million a week (gross) (yes, I know it is rebated to some small extent) being passed to the EU each WEEK (and the £350 million a week on the side of the bus was an EQUIVALENT figure, as neither of the campaigning parites in the Referendum could lay claim to being able to make any kind of firm commitment to the allocation of Treasury funds - quite simply, they did not have that executive function). I did not like the Government having to ASK the EU if it (the Government) could help the Port Talbot steelworks (i.e. help workers in its own country), and have to be beholden to their 'yay' or 'nay'. I did not like to see the EU give a loan to a non-EU country (Turkey) so that country could set up a new assembly plant for Ford - a new assembly plant that meant the UK assembly plant would be closed! Is that how the EU organisation treats one of its own members??? I did not like to see the laws promulgated in this country being amended/overturned by the EU. I did not like to see the EU overturn properly arrived at decisions made in UK courts. When I voted to join the Common Market or EEU (European Economic Union) in the 1970s, I did NOT vote to join a European Nation State, which is what it is today. There is a whole world outside of the EU (most of the rest of the world, actually), and it is the remainers who have the blinkers on and want to maintain the 'status quo'.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
No, I'm asking you. Those squiggles at the end of sentences are question marks.

Well, since once again you have entirely dodged the questions and just talked a lot of nonsense, I hold out no great hopes.

But your refusal to answer is duly noted. Again.

Others will have drawn their own conclusions by now, so the exercise is pretty much complete.
:facepalm: ...:laugh2:

What you really mean is that you didn't receive the answer you wished to hear.:laugh2:
Dom , unfortunately your questions tend to be loaded with your own personal views and political bias as well as anger ( which is never a good idea ) and it is obvious by the tone of many of them that you are not really seeking my personal views but in obtaining an "admission" of guilt to support your own beliefs.:laugh2:

" Why didn't you object to an anti democratic power grab to the right?" you ask . Once again, merely your own personal interpretation of events but unfortunately certainly not mine.
if one expects a straightforward answer then surely it's more sensible to ask the other person a straightforward question as to their views on the topic rather than load each question with your own political ideologies wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I have not posted in this thread for quite a log time, but I look in regularly to read the topics discussed. I felt on this occasion I should supplement Phil's replies, since there is a lot of mis-information in what you have posted above. To link my replies for easy reading, I have posted them in red within your quoted post above.

Yes, I did vote leave in the Referendum (which, for the Mods, was a non-political cross-party event, contrary to what remainers seek to turn it into). I am not a bigot, a racist, a 'Little Englander', someone living in the past, or any of the other names leavers have been called in the last three years. I voted leave because I saw no value in £350 million a week (gross) (yes, I know it is rebated to some small extent) being passed to the EU each WEEK (and the £350 million a week on the side of the bus was an EQUIVALENT figure, as neither of the campaigning parites in the Referendum could lay claim to being able to make any kind of firm commitment to the allocation of Treasury funds - quite simply, they did not have that executive function). I did not like the Government having to ASK the EU if it (the Government) could help the Port Talbot steelworks (i.e. help workers in its own country), and have to be beholden to their 'yay' or 'nay'. I did not like to see the EU give a loan to a non-EU country (Turkey) so that country could set up a new assembly plant for Ford - a new assembly plant that meant the UK assembly plant would be closed! Is that how the EU organisation treats one of its own members??? I did not like to see the laws promulgated in this country being amended/overturned by the EU. I did not like to see the EU overturn properly arrived at decisions made in UK courts. When I voted to join the Common Market or EEU (European Economic Union) in the 1970s, I did NOT vote to join a European Nation State, which is what it is today. There is a whole world outside of the EU (most of the rest of the world, actually), and it is the remainers who have the blinkers on and want to maintain the 'status quo'.

:applause:..:applause:...:applause:

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
Lagavulin is a bit too peaty for me and I tend to prefer the more heathery, honeyish Speyside malts.
Saying that though, one of my my favourites is the Island malt Talisker. Peppery, seaweedy but not huge on the peat or smoke.
Have you ever tried it Gtarzan? Well worth a try.

Speyside makes me a very happy boy.
Lismore too.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
FWIW, I like the Phil Method of Ethanol Evaluation: wee-tiny bottles for tasting.
Why drop big money for a whole bottle of something that might taste like essence of burning tires?
Exactly Tim .
You used to be able to buy and order miniatures of each of the distilleries, so I would order and sample say half a dozen different single malts at a time without having to shell out the price of a full bottle to find out if I really liked it or not.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
For anyone here that would like to sample whiskies before actually buying a full size bottle , you can order miniatures from the "Whisky Exchange" where I bought mine.
An established and reputable company who will ship virtually world wide, so no eBay rip off's or cheap substitutes as the miniatures are manufactured by each distillery.
A great way to find your favorite single malts without spending a fortune.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Went to Lauren's and Pete's last night for a raclette as Chris, an old pupil of mine who now lives in San Francisco and his American wife stopped by on their European holiday.
Great food and great company...
Here's Chris with Lauren about five years ago having an impromptu jam in our old house from a songbook I had lying around.
Everyone is laughing because Peppy was so memorized by it all she nearly nodded off...:laugh2:

Last edited: