The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
They're frit. It's the capo.

Clearly the patriarchy has deep and ancient roots :)
Capo...Best legal knuckleduster you can get.:laugh2:

Yeah, I know it's hard to believe just how sacred pugs (Lo Zei ) were to the Chinese Emperors back then.
Not only did they have their own luxury quarters but also a 24/7 armed guard and commoners were not allowed to own one on the pain of death.
Mind you,I do think some dog owners get slightly pissed off as wherever a pug goes they always draw a crowd.

Last edited:

BBD

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's hard to believe just how sacred pugs (Lo Zei ) were to the Chinese Emperors back then.
Not only did they have their own luxury quarters but also a 24/7 armed guard and commoners were not allowed to own one on the pain of death.
I really had no idea about any of this. Starting with the age of the breed and its Imperial Chinese origins. Old Steppenwolf has come a long, strange way since the end of the last glacial.

BBD

Reaction score
Here's one of ours - they sit either side of the fireplace and keep evil spirits from entering the house via the chimney. Since they were installed, we've had no more nonsense from the fat bearded guy in red :laugh2:

IMG_20190720_215127658.jpg

Sorry for the crap photo, but I got snarled at by H who is watching TV :confused:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Looks like July might follow June as the hottest month in the instrumental record, although obvz have to wait and see. No idea why more people aren't terrified.
It will have to be an ongoing trend for people to get alarmed or they will simply put it down to freak hot spells.
From what I can remember 1976 was probably worse in some ways as reservoirs dried up and the dry spell lasted a lot longer.
But then a year later is was all back to normal. As I said, I think it will have to be a significant long term trend before the average person focuses in on it.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Here's one of ours - they sit either side of the fireplace and keep evil spirits from entering the house via the chimney. Since they were installed, we've had no more nonsense from the fat bearded guy in red :laugh2:

View attachment 394230

Sorry for the crap photo, but I got snarled at by H who is watching TV :confused:
:applause:
Yeah, the ancient Chinese believed that lions kept evil spirits away. I think it was the Brits who first called them lion dogs, obviously because they didn't really look like lions to them.
I'm not sure about actual pug dog statues although there are some dog figures that resemble them.
I do know that they were so revered that that would ride in carriages whilst other dog breeds had to walk on behind.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Them's lions, I think... temple guardians...
They are called lion dogs ( Fu dogs ) but many of those old stone statues depicting lions had very similar faces to this which is a pug or Fu dog as I think they were originally called.

was going to say . hard call . either way __ they're funny looking things

4cdc55074832f0c4ee7fc6a9178ca75b.jpg

Phil47uk

Reaction score
was going to say . hard call . either way __ they're funny looking things

View attachment 394314
I think those are supposed to be lions or Fu dogs as they became known as by the first European traders. Lions are not native to China so a bit of artistic license was obviously taken by the people who carved them.
European traders who first saw them likened them to certain dog breeds they saw for the first time such as the pug , Shih Tzu etc.
Ironically though pugs were depicted in Chinese art several centuries before the first lion statues.