The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

BBD

Reaction score
I wouldn't have one in a hundred years..Far too ostentatious plus the fact some bugger would only scratch it in a car park out of spite...:laugh2:
I feel exactly the same about flash motors - waving your wad around is never a good look... would never own one even if I could afford the bloody thing. And they are a liability - there are a good few poncy cars parked around the roads here - some upwards of £100k new - and I don't know how the owners sleep at night.

79standard

Reaction score
Lovely radio, Tommo!
It looks like the Shaub-Lorenz tube multiband radio I inherited from Dad.
:thumb:

I'd love to turn it into an amp someday.
That, and my "waterfall" Philco as well.
...ideally with some kind of Radio/Amp switch so I can go back and forth between playing Radio Koln and rocking my guitars.

As for The Mule, it is giving me endless grief and I may have to take a vacation from it so I can concentrate on the 100-degree weather that is landing on my "sayonara, eldercare!" getaway this weekend. :dunno:

As for cars, my tastes are very Seinfeld/Leno, all over the map, from microcars to a nice 1960 Imperial to a nice 1970 Lambo Miura to a nice over-the-top bespoke hot rod.
If I had the money, you bet I would own and drive them all, and would love them to distraction.
...and I would give zero f*cks about other people's jealousy.

As Jimi said, "I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to."

BBD

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Tim - nothing against the genuine aficionado, it's the wallet-wavers I can't stand, and mostly that's what they are. People strutting round shouting 'I'm richer than you'. FTS.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Lovely radio, Tommo!

...ideally with some kind of Radio/Amp switch so I can go back and forth between playing Radio Koln and rocking my guitars.

As for The Mule, it is giving me endless grief and I may have to take a vacation from it so I can concentrate on the 100-degree weather that is landing on my "sayonara, eldercare!" getaway this weekend. :dunno:

As for cars, my tastes are very Seinfeld/Leno, all over the map, from microcars to a nice 1960 Imperial to a nice 1970 Lambo Miura to a nice over-the-top bespoke hot rod.
If I had the money, you bet I would own and drive them all, and would love them to distraction.

As Jimi said, "I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to."

It's probably me..I think over the years I have turned into some kind of boring minimalist..:laugh2:
I have absolutely no desire to own a sports car, nor a whole plethora of gear or the latest 100 inch L.E.D T.V. set.
Sylvia has to order me clothes or I'd be wearing the same stuff I wore a decade ago.
I'm not like that with other people though and wouldn't bat an eyelid spending money on family or my pets.
I have traveled fairly extensively in my life and am not interested in going on some exotic holiday in the far East etc.
I sort of think."do I really need this" and invariably talk myself out of getting whatever it is.
If someone said tomorrow would you like to go on a free all expenses paid free 1st class holiday to some exotic Pacific island or go to France say and spend a week in a rustic gite in Provence with my pets I'd choose the later.
Luckily Sylvia shares my views with regard the holiday thing as we've been there, done that and like me doesn't like beach holidays anyway and would rather spend say a weekend in Venice out of season.
I think that also having been in the music game for so long "the right gear" and "The elusive tonez" don't really figure into the overall big equation as for me no such thing exists.
Yes I really have become Victor Meldrew...:laugh2:

I do have one of these except mine has black knobs but don't ask me what the difference is though..

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

Don't get me wrong, Tim - nothing against the genuine aficionado, it's the wallet-wavers I can't stand, and mostly that's what they are. People strutting round shouting 'I'm richer than you'. FTS.
I'm not very impressed with the fancy cars . I think that many of the the people that drive them , would like to imagine that others are jealous of them . and if that's what they need to tell themselves . so be it . sometimes the very happiest seem very sad to me

there's always two sides to every story . I was criticized in my youth for fancy dress . people would tell me that I was only trying to seek attention / wearing my heart on my sleeve . I just liked the idea of costume and having fun . but others wanted it to mean something else

the same might be true for the ones that want to drive around in fancy sports mobiles . however __ if a person wants to think that they're any better than me , because of a shiny object . it's their mind that's broken . I can't let that get inside of my head too

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
on the way back from the laundromat . I saw a guy in his 70s driving a hotrod of a convertible BMW . candy blue with the 2 white racing stripes up the hood . now that's what I like to see :thumb:

I like to imagine that he waited his entire life to be driving a little roadster __ and then just said " fvck it . I'm going to die anyway " . he looked really happy , too :)

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Just got in from an afternoon in West Bay.
Had a coffee in the cafe that in the series "Broadchurch" is the police station.
We then called in at the garden center which is literally just over the road from the Crown which Tom is familiar with.
Just in time before the schools break up and half of the U.K. descends on the peace and tranquility of the shire...:laugh2:

79standard

Reaction score
Lovely radio, Tommo!

I agree with you, Dom, and the practiced eye can tell the insufferable "I'm better than you, haw haw" sh*theads from the aficionados.

At all the car shows I've been to over the decades, the owners of the collectible cars were always the most gracious and friendly.
TThe guy in the stupendously expensive 1969 Ferrari Daytona asks me if I wanna sit in it. "You want a look under the hood?"
No airs at all, just enthusiasm.

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
That's the true spirit. Doesn't matter if it's cars, guitars, watches or whatever. They love the thing for itself.
SO true . and if the enthusiasm isn't there __ you have to wonder just " how " interested a person is in something

there's a local car show downtown every last Friday of the month . I'm not really into the cars , but I can really appreciate their aesthetic value . truly works of art meets machinery

but some of the owners seem very uninterested . and I wonder . WHY ?

79standard

Reaction score
That's the true spirit. Doesn't matter if it's cars, guitars, watches or whatever. They love the thing for itself.
Yes, yes! The enthusiasm, the willingness to share the joy with others, is wonderful.

Leno is an exemplar. He could just be like Smaug the dragon and hoard his cars, but instead he makes a well-craftedYouTube series that focuses on each car one at a time so we all can enjoy them. It is totally not showing off.

He saw Mom and Dad ogling one of his cars on the street and they never forgot what a sweet guy he was.

I luv when a regular guy does well.

And yeah, it could be any item, which is why I love American Pickers to distraction.

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I just got back from a very long lunch on the terrace by the river behind the Bishop on the Bridge pub - with two beautiful women, no less (one my wife, the other her friend Judith) - but I envy you the sea, the sea...
How far are you from the open sea Dom ? I'd guess about 35 miles. Not too far then.
I suppose east it's Bognor and west Bournemouth for seaside resorts.
You must be about 80 odd miles east of us.

79standard

Reaction score
In other news, I have been informed that my brother Dave's cancer is Stage 4, and Western medicine has done all it can for him.

He's doing what Dad did back in the early 2000s, namely downplaying the severity of his illness from the left coast, while the East Coast family remains largely clueless.

So, allopathic medicine has been a colossal fail.
It's up to alternative and metaphysical healing now. It's all he has left.
So, again, I petition you all for any and all good energies on his behalf.

Sure, I have another brother whose cancer numbers are creeping up, and a guitar buddy in a body brace because multiple myeloma has eaten his vertebrae, but they actually have decent long-term prognoses...
Dave, not so much.

I visit my housebound guitar buddy Bill every Saturday and we eat burgers and watch music youtubes on his big TV, and that's how I try to contibute to his eventual healing, but Dave is on the other side of the country, dammit, so no cheeseburgers for Mister Dave.

Got a lot on my mind, yo.

Last edited: