The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Countryside is just a couple minutes away (by car). Our town's size is very convenient. With a population @ 100.000 it's big enough to have pretty everything to cater to one's needs but it's still small enough that you can access most of by walking (unless you can't walk much anymore that is of course....). Lots of green places and parks right in the heart of the town as well.

Countryside is flatter than where you live but pretty nice nonetheless. Lots of farmland.

We even have our own set of "Royals" - the "Welfs" - I think ssomehow related to the UK twallocks..... :laugh2:

Here's their "castle" - about a fifteen minutes drive from here:

Gorgeous countryside Tom and Wow!...:shock: That castle.
Is it a private residence or like many of our old buildings owned by them but basically opened to the public by the National Heritage Trust as a sort of museum?

Last edited:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
If you mean how far into some green pastures or woods - from my place here it's only five to ten minutes to either hit the woods, some park in town or down to the river where you are immediately outside of town.

So are you basically a town person or a countryside person ? ( with regard to living ) I know lots of people who like to live the town or city life and think where we live is too isolated for them and I'll admit that say forty years ago I would have never dreamed of living in the country and that London was where it all happened.

sliding tom

Reaction score
Gorgeous countryside Tom and Wow!...:shock: That castle.
Is it a private residence or like many of our old buildings owned by them but basically opened to the public by the National Heritage Trust as a sort of museum?
It's open to the public - part of it as a museum and as far as I know there's also a cafe and a restaurant. If I have a little time I'll tell you all about the recnt events around it which are quite interesting (and ridiculously funny..)

So are you basically a town person or a countryside person ? ( with regard to living )

Neither nor... I wouldn't want to live in a big city like Hamburg (or London). I enjoy a vacaction there like my travels to Chicago or a ten day visit to London but other than that...

I wouldn't want to live out in the country either (have spent most of my teenage years living in a village because it was where my parents could afford the rent). I think country life is much different here than in the UK at least the way I have perceived it in the last couple of years.

No no - the size and layout of my hometown is just perfect for someone like me - everything you need and if you crave a taste of mother nature it's just a short walk away.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
It's open to the public - part of it as a museum and as far as I know there's also a cafe and a restaurant. If I have a little time I'll tell you all about the recnt events around it which are quite interesting (and ridiculously funny..)

Neither nor... I wouldn't want to live in a big city like Hamburg (or London). I enjoy a vacaction there like my travels to Chicago or a ten day visit to London but other than that...

I wouldn't want to live out in the country either (have spent most of my teenage years living in a village because it was where my parents could afford the rent). I think country life is much different here than in the UK at least the way I have perceived it in the last couple of years.

No no - the size and layout of my hometown is just perfect for someone like me - everything you need and if you crave a taste of mother nature it's just a short walk away.
Sounds ideal Tom.
How do you mean by different with regard to country living in Germany and the U.K.?
Mind you, there's country living and country living here in the U.K. too. I just depends where in the U.K. you live.
Love to hear about the funny story of the castle.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Supposed to be a heatwave today but it's actually quite cool and misty.
Just took Peppy out and you can see the mist shrouding the surrounding hills.
Very peaceful just watching the sheep graze so of course this sprang instantly to mind..:laugh2:
Bach's " Where sheep may safely graze".

photostudio_1563811586540.jpg

sliding tom

Reaction score
Sounds ideal Tom.
How do you mean by different with regard to country living in Germany and the U.K.?
Mind you, there's country living and country living here in the U.K. too. I just depends where in the U.K. you live.

First of all we don't have such beautiful old villages like you do (at least in the Shire). Then there's social control. Everybody is watching you and what you're doing / what you're up to. If you don't join in any of the societies / associations like the football team or join the volunteer fire brigade you'll be an unwelcome outsider.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that just about everyone in here would be psychiatrists dream come true...:laugh2:

Understatement of the year, Phil..... If there was a staff shrink for this thread, after just one group discussion, he would be putting his own skratejacket on and dialing the phone with his tongue for the white suits to come get him...

I once was on a parallel track in college to be a psychologist, along with my other degree goals....
If THAT ain't scary, I don't know what is...

Phil47uk

Reaction score
First of all we don't have such beautiful old villages like you do (at least in the Shire). Then there's social control. Everybody is watching you and what you're doing / what you're up to. If you don't join in any of the societies / associations like the football team or join the volunteer fire brigade you'll be an unwelcome outsider.
:eek2:....Blimey...It's lucky we don't live in a small German village then, we'd be ostracized within a year..:laugh2:
The English tend to be the complete opposite and mostly keep themselves to themselves. As the old saying goes " An Englishman's home is his castle"
There is plenty to join in with if one wants. The emphasis being on "if one wants".
I may well be wrong as I've never lived up there but I think villages up north can be far more cliquey with regard to people peeping from behind curtains etc.

BBD

Reaction score
Supposed to be a heatwave today but it's actually quite cool and misty.
Just took Peppy out and you can see the mist shrouding the surrounding hills.
I think the heatwave is due to begin tomorrow...

All the ants in our garden flew this afternoon - the air was thick with the buggers for about ten minutes. Hopefully they've got it out of their system now.

sliding tom

Reaction score

All the ants in our garden flew this afternoon - the air was thick with the buggers for about ten minutes. Hopefully they've got it out of their system now.
Flying ants - we've had them last week. Bothered enough folks so that the local newspaper wrote a feature on them....

BBD

Reaction score
Flying ants - we've had them last week. Bothered enough folks so that the local newspaper wrote a feature on them....
The media moans on about them here too, from time to time, but this year something really quite strange happened...

There were so many of them that the Met Office monitoring systems mistook them for rain...

While we're talking about insects, something else happened to me a few weeks ago that I've never seen before. I was sitting in the garden reading an improving book about the fall of the Roman Republic* when very suddenly the air above me (maybe 3m off the ground) was filled with a river of bees - I was actually quite scared for a moment until I realised that they were just going somewhere else.. There were several thousand I suppose, and it took several seconds for the swarm to stream overhead and rise to disappear over the roof of the house next door.

I suppose I should be glad there are still some bees alive to swarm. The news from Russia is not good.

* Utterly fascinating history, weirdly resonant today and the book was excellent - the best I've yet come across.

Phil47uk

Reaction score

Well, it looks as though this heatwave where people have been warned not to leave their house as the temperature might soar to 80f down here will last approx 8 hours in the shire as around 6 p.m we are evidently in for a thunderstorm followed by rain, then partly cloudy weather for the rest of the week and averaging around 60f by next Sunday.
Which basically means. anything could happen during the next week..:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Way different here - 30C tomorrow, 29C Wed, 31C Thurs and 25C Friday, which may not impress Edro but is more than hot enough for me :confused:
Don't worry, it will be pissing down by the end of the week and back to normal for us.
Ebers on the other hand doesn't feel comfortable unless it's at least 120f in the shade and he's got his water sprinkler going for the gators basking in the back yard . Jerry Reed blasting out of a 3,000 watt home sound system built by Alligator Bling whilst offering a cold Bud to his friend Bubba as they both quietly rock to and fro on the porch.

Last edited:

Latest Threads