The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

sliding tom

Reaction score
I think the heatwave is due to begin tomorrow...

All the ants in our garden flew this afternoon - the air was thick with the buggers for about ten minutes. Hopefully they've got it out of their system now.
Flying ants - we've had them last week. Bothered enough folks so that the local newspaper wrote a feature on them....

BBD

Reaction score
Flying ants - we've had them last week. Bothered enough folks so that the local newspaper wrote a feature on them....
The media moans on about them here too, from time to time, but this year something really quite strange happened...

There were so many of them that the Met Office monitoring systems mistook them for rain...

While we're talking about insects, something else happened to me a few weeks ago that I've never seen before. I was sitting in the garden reading an improving book about the fall of the Roman Republic* when very suddenly the air above me (maybe 3m off the ground) was filled with a river of bees - I was actually quite scared for a moment until I realised that they were just going somewhere else.. There were several thousand I suppose, and it took several seconds for the swarm to stream overhead and rise to disappear over the roof of the house next door.

I suppose I should be glad there are still some bees alive to swarm. The news from Russia is not good.

* Utterly fascinating history, weirdly resonant today and the book was excellent - the best I've yet come across.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I think the heatwave is due to begin tomorrow...

All the ants in our garden flew this afternoon - the air was thick with the buggers for about ten minutes. Hopefully they've got it out of their system now.
Well, it looks as though this heatwave where people have been warned not to leave their house as the temperature might soar to 80f down here will last approx 8 hours in the shire as around 6 p.m we are evidently in for a thunderstorm followed by rain, then partly cloudy weather for the rest of the week and averaging around 60f by next Sunday.
Which basically means. anything could happen during the next week..:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Way different here - 30C tomorrow, 29C Wed, 31C Thurs and 25C Friday, which may not impress Edro but is more than hot enough for me :confused:
Don't worry, it will be pissing down by the end of the week and back to normal for us.
Ebers on the other hand doesn't feel comfortable unless it's at least 120f in the shade and he's got his water sprinkler going for the gators basking in the back yard . Jerry Reed blasting out of a 3,000 watt home sound system built by Alligator Bling whilst offering a cold Bud to his friend Bubba as they both quietly rock to and fro on the porch.

Last edited:

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Is already in the 70s headed to a low in the 50s tonight. A cold front dropped an inch of rain in my gauge Sunday as it dropped the humidity enough to drop the heat index into the bearable zone.

Haven't seen many wild bees lately but there seems plenty of local honey at the farmers market.
Their decline here is lots of things to include some kind of mite that affects their respiratory system.

You all were talking bout folk that drive cars to impress several days back and shortly thereafter saw a vanity license plate that I thought you would enjoy. If read 14U2NVE.

Showed it to my passenger and we agreed that hanging that tag on the tail of a Kia the height of pretention.

Nice pics Tom. Can see why you dig it.

Nice tele Gtarzan

Hope Ma smiles on all.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
G'day all.

Is already in the 70s headed to a low in the 50s tonight. A cold front dropped an inch of rain in my gauge Sunday as it dropped the humidity enough to drop the heat index into the bearable zone.

Haven't seen many wild bees lately but there seems plenty of local honey at the farmers market.
Their decline here is lots of things to include some kind of mite that affects their respiratory system.

You all were talking bout folk that drive cars to impress several days back and shortly thereafter saw a vanity license plate that I thought you would enjoy. If read 14U2NVE.

Showed it to my passenger and we agreed that hanging that tag on the tail of a Kia the height of pretention.

Nice pics Tom. Can see why you dig it.

Nice tele Gtarzan

Hope Ma smiles on all.
Hi Charlie.
You just jogged my memory that I heard this on the news not long ago but forgot the name, so I've just looked it up.
It's the Varroa mite.

So my above post to Dom should have read over use of pesticides and the varroa mite.
Probably not the over use of pesticide in the States as I would have thought that was legally controlled but evidently not so in Russia.

Personally I've always found personalised number plates tacky and would be embarrassed to have one on my car.

Last edited:

sliding tom

Reaction score
book was excellent - the best I've yet come across.
I recently read another book by Tom Holland: Millenium - excellent history author.

I haven't seen one this year...
You need to look up! :naughty:

Good Morning folkses! :wave:

Way different here - 30C tomorrow, 29C Wed, 31C Thurs and 25C Friday, which may not impress Edro but is more than hot enough for me :confused:
Heatwave here as well - was already in the mid 80s by 9:00 am. We're expecting 100 and above in the coming days....

BBD

Reaction score
Over use of pesticides perhaps.
Seems like a nasty combination of that, thanks to Russian regulatory slackness doubtless exacerbated by corruption, varroa mites and climate change.

I recently read another book by Tom Holland: Millenium - excellent history author.
:yesway: Now that I haven't read, but it looks interesting. Another for the endless list... :) Plus I know rather less about European Mediaeval history than I do about the Republic, which is perhaps a bit unbalanced :laugh2:

Fender did a run of them just now.
You going for the Sundragon amp as well?

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Seems like a nasty combination of that, thanks to Russian regulatory slackness doubtless exacerbated by corruption, varroa mites and climate change.

:yesway: Now that I haven't read, but it looks interesting. Another for the endless list... :) Plus I know rather less about European Mediaeval history than I do about the Republic, which is perhaps a bit unbalanced :laugh2:

You going for the Sundragon amp as well?

No Sundragon amp. They did a limited run at very high price. Supposedly they will be doing a normal production run in the future at a "reasonable" price.

Latest Threads