The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Tom.
A good teaching aid here if you haven't already got something similar.
Our eldest son bought a Tribit Bluetooth speaker the other week just to listen to some music externally from his phone or iPad.
I must admit that for £25 I thought it would be not that good and nor did he but I was absolutely gobsmacked at the quality of sound it produced.
I tried to find a good example on YouTube but as usual all you get is the "Hey what's up YouTube" brigade playing absolute crap techno stuff on it so I didn't post a link.
I tried it on his phone and put on an Eagle's track and it blew me away. Great bass , mids and highs and bloody loud for such a little gadget.
Sylvia was so impressed that she wants one as well so I'm going to order two.
Great if you are teaching and you suddenly want to access something on YouTube say to go over with a pupil.

sliding tom

Reaction score
Tom.
Our eldest son bought a Tribit Bluetooth speaker the other week just to listen to some music externally from his phone or iPad.
I must admit that for £25 I thought it would be not that good and nor did he but I was absolutely gobsmacked at the quality of sound it produced.
I tried to find a good example on YouTube but as usual all you get is the "Hey what's up YouTube" brigade playing absolute crap techno stuff on it so I didn't post a link.
I tried it on his phone and put on an Eagle's track and it blew me away. Great bass , mids and highs and bloody loud for such a little gadget.
Great if you are teaching and you suddenly want to access something on YouTube say to go over with a pupil.

Thanks for the tip - sounds like a proper device but I'm afraid I don't have the right phone to go with that....

:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip - sounds like a proper device but I'm afraid I don't have the right phone to go with that....

:laugh2:
Obviously if you want to put the speaker anywhere then you have to connect it Bluetooth but it also comes with a small cable that you can connect from your headphone output directly into the speaker.

This is probably one of the most watchable of the annoying review demos but why on earth can't one of these people actually play a track of a band playing live instruments instead of all that computer generated techno crap..
If I had to make my mind up about a purchase listening to that stuff I would probably avoid it like the plague but I have heard it up close for myself and it's definitely worth investing in for that price, especially when teaching.

Last edited:

sliding tom

Reaction score
Obviously if you want to put the speaker anywhere then you have to connect it Bluetooth but it also comes with a small cable that you can connect from your headphone output directly into the speaker.
I'm afraid you didn't get it: that's an old (@ 15 years or so...) mobile phone so no internet and such (I haven't looked but it may be tube-driven. :naughty:). I can make and receive calls and texts and that's actually all I need when it comes to a mobile phone, so....:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I'm afraid you didn't get it: that's an old (@ 15 years or so...) mobile phone so no internet and such (I haven't looked but it may be tube-driven. :naughty:). I can make and receive calls and texts and that's actually all I need when it comes to a mobile phone, so....:laugh2:
:lol:
And I thought I was a luddite...:laugh2:

So what do you do at school when one of the kids suddenly asks about a certain song?
All I have to do is go to YouTube on my phone or a pro tab/chord site which I paid for and I can basically access any song in the world and listen to it in seconds and with a speaker like that I can now hear the bass end a lot more which is lacking through a phone speaker.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tom.

Amazing how good small speakers can sound nowadays.....

I bought one of the tall Amazon Alexa thingies to spy on me.... I listen to smooth jazz at night and response is unreal.... Punchy bass and clear as a bell.....

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Amazing how good small speakers can sound nowadays.....

I bought one of the tall Amazon Alexa thingies to spy on me.... I listen to smooth jazz at night and response is unreal.... Punchy bass and clear as a bell.....
Hi Ebers...
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when my son said listen to this for £25... :shock:
It was like listening to a much more expensive and bigger set of speakers especially when it came to the clarity at volume and the bass response.
Even Sylvia who isn't into all that audio nerd thing was so impressed that she now wants one too.
As I said to Tom I would really like one for teaching purposes more than anything else and Sylvia would like one for when the grandkids watch kids programmes on her phone or when she's streaming some news item so she can listen to it round the house whilst doing other things.

sliding tom

Reaction score
And I thought I was a luddite...:laugh2:

So what do you do at school when one of the kids suddenly asks about a certain song?
All I have to do is go to YouTube on my phone or a pro tab/chord site which I paid for and I can basically access any song in the world and listen to it in seconds and with a speaker like that I can now hear the bass end a lot more which is lacking through a phone speaker.

I'm not a luddite exactly - I just don't go for the latest available technology as long as what I have still works and fulfills my needs.
As for lessons: if any of my students wants to examine anything specifically - learn a certain song etc. I ask for the tune's name and artist and prepare it for the lesson next week or they can drop me an e-mail telling me that they want to do this or that next time around.....

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I'm not a luddite exactly - I just don't go for the latest available technology as long as what I have still works and fulfills my needs.
As for lessons: if any of my students wants to examine anything specifically - learn a certain song etc. I ask for the tune's name and artist and prepare it for the lesson next week or they can drop me an e-mail telling me that they want to do this or that next time around.....
As I tend to wing lessons , sometimes on the spur of the moment and use lots of analogies it's handy to be able to access an example quickly so I tend to use it more for that sort of thing..Like the other week when I was explaining confidence and attack to a pupil and quickly showed them the first few bars of something like this..

No prisoners and f*** you moments......:laugh2:

Or say to demonstrate light shade and dynamics in a phrase to one of the girls who sing.

In his arms she fell....Strong/passionate.
As her hair came down...soft / romantic

And all in one phrase at 0:54.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
g mornings . afternoons . Happy Rock and .Roll R.oll Roll / Tele Tuesday to All
Afternoon Art..
Just reading about the latest insane nonsense to hit the UK.

Some convicted killers, sex offenders and drug dealers could have their records wiped under new plans to help them back to work.

People sentenced to more than four years in prison currently have to disclose their conviction to employers for the rest of their working life.

Justice secretary David Gauke wants to scrap this rule to "break barriers" to employment for reformed criminals..
I think The twat should change his name by deed pole to David Dork.

Where on earth do we dig this idiots up from? They should all be sacked along with a whole stack of judges and lawyers in this country..

We are getting loonier and loonier over here by the minute..

BBD

Reaction score
I saw that last week, but decided not to post it in case Phil thought I was deliberately winding him up :laugh2:

The text is embarrassing bollocks. "Brexit hmmmm been there, done that". America was a British colony. The UK is not a colonial possession of the EU :facepalm: False equivalence is a logical fallacy. The artist should stick to dots and squiggles and leave politics to people who actually have a clue.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wings: Jet was just on the oldies radio station we run in the shop....

Every time I hear that damn song, I am more and more in awe of Sir George Martin....

I could list others but I know Phil gets my meaning...

BBD

Reaction score
Been meaning to ask you about something you said a while back about using an Echoplex to thicken up the tone. When I do that in Helix, I have the delay time and feedback (repeat) zeroed - so you just get the EP-3's mids boost. When you mentioned this I assumed this is what you meant but always intended to check...

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Wings: Jet was just on the oldies radio station we run in the shop....

Every time I hear that damn song, I am more and more in awe of Sir George Martin....

I could list others but I know Phil gets my meaning...
Poor old Prunella used to get really upset and PM Vasco whenever I dared suggest George Martin might have got session musicians in for a certain band...:laugh2:

Last edited: