The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Pug went to the patio doors this morning to sun herself on the lawn...I opened the doors ...She just stood there looking at the rain , quickly did a 180° about turn and jumped back on the bed again...:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I feel exactly the same about flash motors - waving your wad around is never a good look... would never own one even if I could afford the bloody thing. And they are a liability - there are a good few poncy cars parked around the roads here - some upwards of £100k new - and I don't know how the owners sleep at night.
I have a pupil who has an XK Jag and once when he came round he asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin to which I politely declined...Buggered If I want the responsibility of putting a ding in that thing..:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
On the rare occasions where I have managed to summon that sentiment, I have saved a lot of money.

One of my fellow GAS sufferers and I are often tempted by various half-off sales etc. During such times of temptation, we remind each other "if you don't buy anything, you save 100%!"
What gets me is when you see offers that say "Bargain, save 40% on recommended retail price".
But when you check , nobody sells it at the recommended retail price , so in actual fact you are only saving about 5% max.
The other thing I never get is if say you are shopping around for a washing machine.
On four sites they might be around £280 give or take a few pounds and then you see one store doing it for £259 so you buy it from there. But then you see a store selling the exact same product for £380.... :shock:
Well, who on earth is going to buy it from them?
I've noticed this a few times of late . The last time when a camera store was selling a lens for at least £50 over the top recommended retail price..Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
I could understand if it were simply the case of me being tight fisted bastard but it's not as I can be enthusiastic and generous with Sylvia and my family and give my time freely too many students..It's just with myself for some strange reason.
Actually no! It's not for some strange reason. I know exactly what it is and it's a deep childhood psychological guilt thing relating to the death of my brother which I witnessed when I was four.
Oh my God, Phil, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother... talk about childhood trauma... :shock:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Oh my God, Phil, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother... talk about childhood trauma... :shock:
Yeah thanks Tim.
I did discuss it in this thread many years ago as it was a subject of a book by one of the UK' s leading child psychologists who I went to for several years as a small child. So yes, I've been there and done that one too...:laugh2:

Here's a snippet of what I wrote some ten years ago..

"When I was four I witnessed the death of my brother who was two when he fell out of the window of our house in London. There was a safety child guard on the window, but while my Mothers back was turned for an instant he climed on it and toppled over.
As a result I started to get very violent rages, so was taken to a child psychologist at the age of four and had around 70 sessions with her. I don't remember a great deal about those days or those sessions other than going on the underground with my Mother. Anyway even though I never saw her after that we always kept in touch and every year since she has sent me a Christmas card and during my teenage years a book token . Fifty years later ( She's now nearly 90 ) she suddenly rings me out of the blue and asks if I wouldn't mind her using my case history for a book she was writing and would I like to read through it first and perhaps contribute a chapter in the book myself.
I read the case history of myself at four and it was absolutely fascinating. Hell! did I really do those things. She said in one sentence that she had never met a child who could turn from such a sweet loving personality to cold ruthless sadistic rage in such a short space of time.
I wrote the chapter for her and it was published in the book which went on to be aclaimed in the world of psychotherapy. The most interesting aspect of it all though is that it is the longest ever patient anlalyst relationship on record in the UK. Even though I hadn't seen her for over 50 years.. But as I mentioned, we had always kept in touch every Christmas, by card.
For the first time last year I didn't recieve a card, so anxious about her as she's so old I rang her up. She answered and when I told her it was Philip, she said " Hello , Philip who, I don't think I know you do I?"
Obviously she had deteriated mentaly in the space of one year.. Such a shame. She was a lovely woman.

Addendum...She has since sadly passed away after I wrote the above but I will always remember her.

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons . Good Energy to All that need it

Very good question, my friend.
Reminds me of a Dieter line from the old SNL skit "Sprockets":
"I have become so jaaaaded.
Perhaps someone should strike my testicles with a taffy hammer.
(Arch look)
THAT would fix MYYYY wagon."

Mike Myers based the character on an arrogant waiter he encountered in his native Canada.

you're killing me with the references :laugh2: . and I do understand that this is how people communicate ideas __ but so much of it is lost on me

I really enjoyed the female warrior clip from the other show that you mentioned . I've heard of the " picker's " show from other people . now you had me looking up the Sprockets skit :facepalm:

it was so many years ago , that I heard people say to each other " would you like to touch my monkey ? " __ and all of that time I thought it was some strange sexual reference ( maybe it still is ? ) . but NOW it makes sense :laugh2:

I knew a guy named Dieter in my younger days . I would buy him coffees while we did sketches in the park , because the more excited / caffeinated he got __ the more his accent would kick in . he would eventually start throwing in some of his native language . which made the conversations hilarious

BBD

Reaction score
What a terrible thing to witness Phil. Bloody hell.

How far are you from the open sea Dom ? I'd guess about 35 miles. Not too far then.
I suppose east it's Bognor and west Bournemouth for seaside resorts.
You must be about 80 odd miles east of us.
Not so far, I think but the problem is that it's such a boring, featureless stretch of coast. You have to go to Dorset before it gets groovy. Fucking Lepe beach? Pah.

Got a lot on my mind, yo.
Please don't forget to look after yourself Tim.

I have a pupil who has an XK Jag
I hope your fees reflect this fact.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons . Good Energy to All that need it

you're killing me with the references :laugh2: . and I do understand that this is how people communicate ideas __ but so much of it is lost on me

I really enjoyed to female warrior clip from the other show that you mentioned . I've heard of the " picker's " show from other people . now you had me looking up the Sprockets skit :facepalm:

it was so many years ago , that I heard people say to each other " would you like to touch my monkey ? " __ and all of that time I thought it was some strange sexual reference ( maybe it still is ? ) . but NOW it makes sense :laugh2:

I knew a guy named Dieter in my younger days . I would buy him coffees while we did sketches in the park , because the more excited / caffeinated he got __ the more his accent would kick in . he would eventually start throwing in some of his native language . which made the conversations hilarious
I must admit I've never heard of "The Sprockets" but I have seen "American Pickers" on several occasions which I really enjoyed.

Phil47uk

Reaction score
What a terrible thing to witness Phil. Bloody hell.

Not so far, I think but the problem is that it's such a boring, featureless stretch of coast. You have to go to Dorset before it gets groovy. Fucking Lepe beach? Pah.

Please don't forget to look after yourself Tim.

I hope your fees reflect this fact.
I went to Littlehampton many years ago which I think isn't too far from you but haven't been to that neck of the woods since.

Actually the guy was ( now retired ) one of the countries leading equine vets so has done us lots of favours giving advice on our pets so no, I don't charge him more..:laugh2:
In fact he sold the Jag earlier this year as he hardly tended to use it and he only bought it on a flight of fancy when he retired.

Thanks Dom, yeah that did knock me for six as a kid ( to put it mildly )..:laugh2:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
very difficult for me to wrap my head around all of the tragedies that we've experienced as a group . I've had my share ( stabbings / gunshot / homelessness / psychiatric hospitals / and the list goes on )

but then I read about a person that lost his brother at the age of 4 . another person that's slowly losing his brother . and with everything I've been through , I still can't imagine what it would be like to experience some of the things that others are going through . or have gone through

Good Energy to All

Phil47uk

Reaction score
very difficult for me to wrap my head around all of the tragedies that we've experienced as a group . I've had my share ( stabbings / gunshot / homelessness / psychiatric hospitals / and the list goes on )

but then I read about a person that lost his brother at the age of 4 . another person that's slowly losing his brother . and with everything I've been through , I still can't imagine what it would be like to experience some of the things that others are going through . or have gone through

Good Energy to All
One of the reasons our collective experiences are strong Art..

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Phil, I'm well over 6' and I would have to get a running start to get IN a Lamborghini... ;)

I 'would' like to drive a Countach though....just to see how fast it will go...
:lol:....:applause:

Sports cars can be fun I must admit..In the right places.
Many years ago when working with a band in Belgium in the late 60's I was invited by a guy to come down to a racing circuit in Belgium and drive a Le Mans GT40 Ford.
Obviously there was nobody else on the track and I hit about 140-150 mph on the straight and that wasn't even pushing it but that was plenty fast enough for me..Phewww. ( nearly trouser changing time)..:laugh2:
I think even back then it could do 0-100 in around 8 seconds.
These cars can be great fun but totally wasted on UK roads..The only place you could drive at that speed would be on a motorway where the speed limit is 70mph so you'd only get nabbed by the police and get a large fine and perhaps your licence temporarily suspended. Other than that it would merely be for show..
Like joining in with a ukulele band with an original 59 burst...:laugh2:

sliding tom

Reaction score
It's ok.......If the only thing you play is a cowbell.....
:laugh2:

A lapsteel and a champ would be OK as well but those guys rather drive pickups...

:lol:..
Getting out of a Lamborghini these days would probably take Sylvia and I about ten minutes...:laugh2:
Now that's what I call fast! :laugh2:

One of the reasons our collective experiences are strong Art..

..and our mutual understanding...

Latest Threads