The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons

I should maybe mention that I saw Sonic Youth twice in 1987 for the Sister tour.
I'm not exaggerating when I say it changed my life.
I saw them at several different locations in NYC , including 2 shows at CBGBs . they had the same life changing effect on me . such a different time and place . feels like a billion miles away

I also saw a few shows ( pre flash dj era ) , with Richard James . aka Aphex Twin __ that also had a huge impact . and Trent Reznor with his " rock / art project " called Nine Inch Nails . before he released the first album . I was a NIN fan for many years , based only on the idea of how everything formed . not so much now , but I did like the " Ghost " experiments

( all 38 of the tracks are free for anyone to use as background music in videos . encouraged in fact . I thought that was really cool )

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I'm going to feel guilty if I don't list Einstürzende Neubauten
as one of my biggest influences also

1a0486b7686244e048ef358399fb6a2d.jpg

gotta love a band that brings their own power tools to a show __ to drill holes in the stage :applause: :laugh2:

Last edited:

MooCheng

Reaction score
Studied percussion from little kid level through BS in music and percussion.... Did the band thing a bit as drummer but wanted to play jazz. Not much call for jazz in the area and just plain wuttin gonna play boom-chick-boom-chick drumming for a living so with my older bro (bassist from hell) and a Berk gtr grad bud of ours, we did some jazz jams from hell....

Wound up playing almost any instrument BUT percussion for decades (except some pickup jobs and teaching)... I'd do more symphony stuff in a flash if I was younger...even as a 2nd chair triangle.... ;)

My late older bro asked me a hunnert times "What the hell do you wanna be when you grow up? Damn."

Play what makes you moist and to hell with what anybody else thinks... I can be musical with about anything (except sax, wife still has her old mint Paris made Mk VII worth serious geeters, I cannot play that damn thing, but love playing her Paris clarinet, go figure), even 'playing' a console across town in my bud's studio at times fixing mixes, or behind a live console, it's ALL making music.... Music is the most fun one can have with clothes on.... I remember playing a couple of my flute instructor's flutes in class, Gemeinhardt and Haynes, pro handmades she played professionally in symphony orchs.... Considered picking up another major in winds I loved playing them so much... Had I been able to afford it (my family was not rich, nowhere near rich, didn't even live close to rich folk), I would have stayed in college to pick up additional winds and brass majors, just for the hell of it (already had played trombone in a jazz band)... Fun....except the stupid farking sax... Mental thingie I guess.... Just could never play the damn thing without goose hunters shooting at me....

You don't have to be great at <fill-in-da-blank> by anybody's standards, just make music for the sake of music while having fun, and it's all good.... Hell, I may buy a cello one day and join a local city symphony orch... Ain't toting no bull fiddle though....hell no... Be 62 in a week or so..... I ain't done yet.... Always more fun to be had....:cool2:
great post Ed' its interesting how many guitarists started out on other instruments that are not in any way related. I started out playing trumpet as my main instrument and guitar was just a fun distraction. My father was a trumpet player so I got formal tuition and done the stifling RSM routine up to VIII. the trouble was, to get orchestral work you had to be GOOD and to be honest I was never that good
Guitar on the other hand, was a lot more fun and much more creative in many ways. The whole Acoustic Folk thing had reached the island, fun times.
Have you ever heard " Hey Mr Tamborine Man " or " Frier and Lane sang in Singlish "

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
we had a piano in the house when I was young . my Mother played ( very well ) . at the age that my sisters were old enough __ they strted getting lessons . I wanted to learn also , but was told that the piano was for the girls . meaning my sisters , and not as a female thing

so my Father was a HUGE Frank Zappa fan . one day he decided that I was going to get an electric guitar , so we went to the local music shop . the minute that I was in that door , I wanted a drum set :laugh2:

not that my Dad didn't try try try to sell me on the idea of guitar . one of the best moments of my entire life was when he gave in on the idea of drums that day . it wasn't until I was 46 ( following a near fatal heart attack ) , that I wondered why I never picked up a guitar . and that's my main instrument now

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I suppose in a bit old in the tooth with regard drills sledge hammers and rubber parrots on stage but as far as sound effects go I do like Perpetuum Jazille's rendition of Africa.No instruments..
That's about as way out as I get I suppose..:laugh2:

MooCheng

Reaction score
while were visiting Africa,
one more vid'.... love this guys tone, clean and warm and the trebles sparkle

don't know much about B&G guitars other than they're made in Israel
the slotted headstock on an electric is kind of a cool

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
while were visiting Africa,
one more vid'.... love this guys tone, clean and warm and the trebles sparkle

don't know much about B&G guitars other than they're made in Israel
the slotted headstock on an electric is kind of a cool

great player __ but 2 P90s in the middle position is one of my least favorite sounds

I know . this coming from a Neubauten fan

cmh6122

Reaction score
G'day all.

Been to the Bark Park with Maddie, and mowed the grass. The hot and muggy be upon us here, and the WFs say a pretty good shot at heavy boomers rolling through this evening. Clouds are starting to pile up.

Started this about 1030 and got distracted.

who needs drills when you got a rubber chicken

It is good to know that kids of any culture can find fun with a rubber chicken.

I suppose in a bit old in the tooth with regard drills sledge hammers and rubber parrots on stage but as far as sound effects go I do like Perpetuum Jazille's rendition of Africa.No instruments..
That's about as way out as I get I suppose..:laugh2:

Very cool, and since we are into 'Africa' a version by a local kid.

Hope Ma smiles on us all.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
something strange just struck me . I really loved the short scale length of my Jaguar __ but that was one Heavy guitar :eek2: . it was the Squier VM version though , and who knows what kind of wood was used for that . so I got rid of it , hoping to find a lighter weight version someday

I really never paid attention to the Mustang and Duo Sonic versions of the offsets though , because they didn't have that incredible bridge . but that doesn't mean that I can't have one installed . not like there's a lack of space to do it

d16e5ff7aae3a1f17c297a5c4a518cda-480-80.jpg

not a fan of those pickups either . I could always match a TV Jones T-Armond with a T 90

hmmmm :hmm: I'm going to have to check at Warmoth