The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
think your right Phil, this place is just a nice place to come and talk about anything and everything, as our American brothers would say "shoot the breeze"

speaking of which, did I tell you about that time I played for the Stones, Keef was ripped off his t!ts on something or other and they needed a guitar player quick..............................what do you mean you don't believe me

Harummmph ! what sort of thread is this
I wouldn't disbelieve you MooCheng. Somebody has to sit in for old Keef when he doesn't know what day it is. ( which is probably quite often).
I've seen people sit in for all sorts of people over the years so nothing really surprises me.
The "Harummph" part may have given it away though.....:laugh2:

Last edited:

MooCheng

Reaction score
I wouldn't disbelieve you MooCheng. Somebody has to sit in for old Kief when he doesn't know what day it is. ( which is probably quite often).
I've seen people sit in for all sorts of people over the years so nothing really surprises me.
The "Harummph" part may have given it away though.....:laugh2:
almost got the gig then Mick spotted there was 6 strings on my Tele and told me to take a hike

79standard

Reaction score
Jagger went right down the pan in my opinion when he accepted that knighthood.
I've never been a great Bowie fan but at least he turned it down which I respected him for.
Agreed.
I never quite warmed up to Mick, ever.
But like I said, he's a shrewd opportunist, not a dumbass.

As for Bowie, I still love and respect him, and I cried a bucket when he died.

...and Mick? When Mick crosses the river, I will mark the passing of an era with some gravity but I shan't mourn the man himself.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
Christopher, I am loving the video, even though Mom wants me to focus on American Ninja Warrior, which is currently blaring from the TV.

Many parallels.
I, too, wanted to be a drummer.
I, too, "played" a tennis racket before I got a guitar.
We both love Jazzmasters.
Note: I have a friend (the noise god Bill T Miller) who actually turned a racket into a functioning instrument.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I, too, wanted to be a drummer.

Studied percussion from little kid level through BS in music and percussion.... Did the band thing a bit as drummer but wanted to play jazz. Not much call for jazz in the area and just plain wuttin gonna play boom-chick-boom-chick drumming for a living so with my older bro (bassist from hell) and a Berk gtr grad bud of ours, we did some jazz jams from hell....

Wound up playing almost any instrument BUT percussion for decades (except some pickup jobs and teaching)... I'd do more symphony stuff in a flash if I was younger...even as a 2nd chair triangle.... ;)

My late older bro asked me a hunnert times "What the hell do you wanna be when you grow up? Damn."

Play what makes you moist and to hell with what anybody else thinks... I can be musical with about anything (except sax, wife still has her old mint Paris made Mk VII worth serious geeters, I cannot play that damn thing, but love playing her Paris clarinet, go figure), even 'playing' a console across town in my bud's studio at times fixing mixes, or behind a live console, it's ALL making music.... Music is the most fun one can have with clothes on.... I remember playing a couple of my flute instructor's flutes in class, Gemeinhardt and Haynes, pro handmades she played professionally in symphony orchs.... Considered picking up another major in winds I loved playing them so much... Had I been able to afford it (my family was not rich, nowhere near rich, didn't even live close to rich folk), I would have stayed in college to pick up additional winds and brass majors, just for the hell of it (already had played trombone in a jazz band)... Fun....except the stupid farking sax... Mental thingie I guess.... Just could never play the damn thing without goose hunters shooting at me....

You don't have to be great at <fill-in-da-blank> by anybody's standards, just make music for the sake of music while having fun, and it's all good.... Hell, I may buy a cello one day and join a local city symphony orch... Ain't toting no bull fiddle though....hell no... Be 62 in a week or so..... I ain't done yet.... Always more fun to be had....:cool2:

79standard

Reaction score
Great post, bud!
I have a cheap-but-solid plastic clarinet that I haven't touched in years, but I remember the joy I felt when I first got a real tone out of it, and then promptly trilled the fugg out of that note, so it calls to me.

I also love my big plastic didgeridoo.

Also wanna buy a wave drum, and some more singing bowls, and a saz with at least one triple course on it...

Me, I turn 59 on Hiroshima Day and I ain't ready for the dirt nap neefer!

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Christopher, I am loving the video, even though Mom wants me to focus on American Ninja Warrior, which is currently blaring from the TV.

had to look that up __ as I was curious to see what an " American Ninja " was :laugh2:

and I love his reason for the Jazzmaster over the Jaguar . that extra length on the neck gives for more bend :applause: . Rinaldo is the much better player when you think along traditional lines .the few times that I saw them live __ Thurston just goes for it . and everything somehow " fit " :eek2:

in a way / my opinion , that makes Thurston the better player

79standard

Reaction score
I just now finished the video, pausing it now and then to lift stupidly heavy dumbbells as my semi-regular "up yaws" to Father Time.
I LOOOOVE THAT VIDEO!
I just loved it from beginning to end.
Thanks so much for sharing that, ChristoArt!
I should bust out my sixties Egmond pseudo-Jazzmaster and work that very important behind-bridge zone again.
(I currently have it in Hedges "Rickover" tuning. )