The Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Phil47uk

Reaction score
The problem with family photos is that they obviously don't go back much further than the the mid 1800's so before that you have to rely on portraits which obviously only the wealthy could afford.
The oldest relation I have traced luckily did have a portrait although how accurate it was is anyone's guess. Uncannily though he does somewhat resemble our youngest son although Sylvia disagrees..

Claus von Diesbach (1375-1436)

79standard

Reaction score
g afternoons and evenings

I'm trying to convince her to do it with me , by selling it as an " art project " :laugh2: . she's going to let me do it though . . .

she doesn't know yet , about the no load tone pots and low friction ( Bourns ) volume pot . or the treble bleed and Gilmour switch to activate the neck . I might even put a kill switch in __ just to confuse her

I do know that the shielding in the cavity will help . as far as those who take covers off . who even knows ( ? ) . I don't really care if it makes a minute difference . I'm more interested in the details that make an actual difference
I'm with you. :thumb:
...and I hate 60-cycle hum, which is a funny thing for a strat cat to say :naughty:

79standard

Reaction score
not really surprised . like I said __ last week I heard some amazing Chinese pickups that were super cheap
The best PAF clones I ever heard besides Fralins were in my Made-In-Indonesia Daisy Rock Elite, which sold for maybe $300 back in the nineties and which I bought used for a hunnert.

They had that balance of big-tele clank and humbucker richness exactly right. If someone sold these pickups by themselves, I'd put them in my '79 Lester and call off the search for the perfect pickups for that guitar.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
I think that the bridge is everyone's least favorite . some people will put a humbucker in there , to make it a " super strat " . I'm considering the idea of putting 3 minis in mine __ making the bridge ( maybe ) more usable
David at Zhangbucker knows how to overwind the bridge of his strat sets so you actually ENJOY throwing the switch to Position 1.

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
Yep, a good enough reason I suppose. I didn't think of that...
I can't see the point of playing a guitar that weighs a ton.
That's why I seldom play my wonderful seventies Schecter "brasscaster" tele build.
Even after back-routing the body for weight relief, it's a bear to wear.
...and the TRS input jack has started spitting out the plug, even though this guitar has been played maybe 20 hours in the last 5 years. :dunno:

Last edited:

79standard

Reaction score
The originals were sepia toned and really yellowed with age but I managed to restore and clean them up fairly well.

My great great Grandfather and Grandmother circa 1880 's in Switzerland. I've since found out that he was born in 1819 (three years after the battle of Waterloo) and she was born in 1829.

View attachment 379510

Their son, my great grandfather when he was younger.

View attachment 379516

One of my great grandfathers hotels taken in the restaurant in Switzerland. I think he's the portly guy with the big moustache seated on the left..Changed a bit from his younger days..:laugh2:

View attachment 379511

And my Grandmother and grandfather with my uncle and aunt 1909. ( my mother hadn't been born when the photo was taken).

View attachment 379512

Lots of people I know really aren't that interested in family history but personally I find it fascinating.
It's very cool that you have such old famblee snaps, Phil!

sliding tom

Reaction score
When you are next over Tom come and join us for a BBQ. I promise I won't give you liniment but get in some beer for you..:laugh2:
:cheers: Cheers!

Quite right Art..Back then going to have your photo taken was a major event.
That's a great pic you have there. Is that someone in your family..Dad Perhaps?
Ironically I also have a photo of who we think was my great great grandfather and mother from my dad's side taken in what was the old Russian empire during the late 1800's.
What world's apart..The Swiss dressed in their finery and well off and The Russian side ( Now Lithuania) unaware that within a matter of years they would have to flee the country and head for the UK and the States because of the Russian pogroms against the Jews.

View attachment 379560
They already had photobucket back in the day? :shock:

:laugh2:

Good Morning folkses! :wave:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
:cheers: Cheers!

They already had photobucket back in the day? :shock:

Good Morning folkses! :wave:

Yeah, it's those pricks at photof*ckit.
They seem to have slapped a watermark saying "proudly hosted by photobucket" on everyone's pics and you can't get rid of it.
I would happily transfer the lot to another site but what's the point if that crap is on the photo..
Frankly I think they have f*cking nerve doing that without informing you as they have now ruined hundreds of photos.

Now that's the difference between today and yesteryear.
With today's technology any arsehole like photobucket can ruin and destroy photos you have stored in an instant, whereas you can look at a nigh on two hundred year old picture in an old family photo album.

Unfortunately I took that pic of an original with my phone and stored it on photof*ckit before I knew they were going to pull a trick like that.

Personally I feel that some way off on the future there may be a whole blank page with regard this digital age whereas future generations will still be able to view the Doomsday book written in 1086.

Last edited:

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
g mornings and afternoons . hope that All are having a Great Wednesday :thumb:

Has anyone in your family got any old photos Art?

like I said . my younger sister is the keeper of the records / photos . I'll be seeing her in August , and hope that she has some of the keepsakes digitized by then

little chance of hearing from her before then . she's convinced that I'm possessed by demons , and won't even let the nephews talk to me . for fear that I'll convince them to walk into the Fires of Nowhere . of course none of my siblings are normal :laugh2: . just never expected any of them to become religious nutjobs .. . .

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
David at Zhangbucker knows how to overwind the bridge of his strat sets so you actually ENJOY throwing the switch to Position 1.

I prefer weak humbuckers. I like hot ass singles... The more turns in a pickup, it'll roll off the top end ice pick....
Coil of wire characteristics and frequency type electro-physics type stuff...

In a Tele or Skrat bridge, hot is better in my opinion, for that reason... In a stock pickup, the meat is there but overpowered by the ice pick. Hotter rolls some of that off.

I like the hot GFS big poles... We've rolled some of our bridge pickups up to like 11K turns... Hot and fat... Still bright because of where it is and the plate but meaty as hell.... Plug that into a nice tube amp set at 'heat my ham sammich on top' and it is righteous....

With singles, you're gonna have noise. No way around it. I've copper taped the routes and pickguards, improved the bridge plate ground, and there is STILL noise because you can't shield the TOP of the pickup.... If we dumped cell phones, dimmers, tube lights, and damn neon beer signs with HV power supplies, they just may quieten down.... If you keep the gtr V down, you can deal with it. Also, rotate wearing the guitar with V up and find the angle to NOT stand. ;)

And to use one of Merlin's (yeah, I've figured your old ass out, Philbertius Rex) adages, "What does it matter once the drummer comes in"..... ;)

:cool2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
she's convinced that I'm possessed by demons , and won't even let the nephews talk to me . for fear that I'll convince them to walk into the Fires of Nowhere . of course none of my siblings are normal :laugh2: . just never expected any of them to become religious nutjobs .. . .

I can relate to some of that....

My late bro and I both were road musicians. That in itself damned us with part of the family tree. We didn't really care.

There is one entire branch with no contact. Blood because of blood is ridiculous, in my opinion.

We were closer to our musician "brothers and sisters" than blood. Just is....

I guess we were looked at as heathens and shit too. Funny in that even though weren't regular church goers, we had our strong beliefs but had issues with the 'organizations' and the folks that ran em... So we were heathens in some folks eyes... We really didn't care... We were making a damn good living at the time, doing what we loved...

Funny in that for no "blood" betwixt, there are folks I could reach out to, no matter the time, and they would beat feet to get to me... They know I would do the same... THAT is family in the truest sense....

I have blood that wouldn't even answer the phone..... Just is.

Dad taught us that folks are who they are, not what we wish them to be. You can't change them, so be who you are and let them do the same....somewhere else...and don't dwell on what ain't....

There are some wack families out there that make some of the family miserable forever that continue to be gluttons for punishment simply because of 'blood'.... Just because someone shares DNA doesn't mean one has to listen to their silly shit...

We are ALL blood. I think it is around thirteen generations back and we all are related... ;)

One can be far happier isolated from some 'blood' than putting up with 'blood's' wacky shit....

One cannot dwell on how 'blood' SHOULD act and be.... It's THEIR loss, not yours....

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I can imagine that throughout history __ the " blood is thicker " thinking was really about strength in numbers . when large families had to pull together for the sake of the cause , or survival of the lineage

modern times are different . and so many conflicting personalities within families now

it's only within the last few years that my younger sister has become this way . almost like a switch flipped , and she decided that she would be one of The Saved . we were all raised with ( what most would consider to be ) pagan beliefs . and now she puts the blame on my parents for " corrupting " us . really bizarre ideas going on in her head __ but it offers some explanation to her , about the things that I've gone through

the mental illness issues that I've had , are just demons trying to communicate with me . the artistic and musical interests are Dark Gifts from below . I've been fairly successful with my fiances and pursuits over the years . more Dark Gifts :laugh2: . yup . religion explains it all

what she's not willing to accept __ is that mental illness runs on both my parent's sides . and the children all have some form of it . her obsessing over the Holy Details of everything , is just her version of right now . and it's going to be a rough ride for her , when she has a large community backing up all of her ideas . it's a place where she has a valuable role :facepalm:

BBD

Reaction score
Someday I might swap out the pickups in the Strat...

...and the TRS input jack has started spitting out the plug, even though this guitar has been played maybe 20 hours in the last 5 years. :dunno:
Poltergeist.

I prefer weak humbuckers. I like hot ass singles... The more turns in a pickup, it'll roll off the top end ice pick....
Definitely with you on weak humbuckers and from what you say I will prefer overwound singles too...

Fardwark

Horrible Porridge Gobbler
Reaction score
Been uploading tons of Ska decals onto the Gran Turismo Sport servers today & it seems to be a crowd pleaser. Made a few liveries myself...

This isn't one of them, an old one I did that will annoy Phil no end. Tee-hee.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score