The loss of a true hero!

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to start this, I can't even really explain why this touches me so deeply, but last month wasn't only a month where a lot of celebrities passed away, it was also a month where we lost a true hero.

I just found out that Sgt. Darrell "Shifty" Powers passed away at the age of 86 on June 17th, 2009.
I only 'know' this man from watching the 'Band of Brothers' mini-series but the way he was portraied there made him one of my favourite characters, I even took his nickname as my username.

For those who don't know about him, he volunteered for the paratroopers in 1942 and was a member of the Easy Co., 506th PIR, 101st Airborne from day one, a 'Toccoa Man' as they were referred to later. He fought every major battle the E. Co. was involved in through WWII. He's a real hero in my book.

Like I said, I don't really know why but I feel really sad since I found out that he left us last month. I had to share this with you all.

Rest in peace, Shifty! Currahee!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOyAgG_NIs]YouTube - "Shifty" Powers Tribute[/ame]

Darrell Powers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Darrell C. Powers

Gunner

CEO Teen Axe Leader
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
RIP Shifty.

rodneyk915

Reaction score
He was for sure a true hero. Unfortunately there are not many left anymore from that era. RIP Shifty!

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I plan to be around a little longer and carry his name with pride!

yllsacky

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;909528 said:
Well, I plan to be around a little longer and carry his name with pride!

thats a good thing dont die :laugh2:

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ah shit, i didn't hear about that. RIP.

me and my brother have a couple of letters from Bill Guarnere. they're all heroes.

wedgey

Reaction score
Yeah that was one of my favourite shows on TV ever. Always sad to hear of someone dying but that's life.
RIP

Blues4U

Reaction score
The Band of Brothers was one of, if not the best war films ever made-I own the DVD set and still watch it every now and then-it never gets old because it is raw and very believeable.

God Speed Shifty-

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ah shit, i didn't hear about that. RIP.

me and my brother have a couple of letters from Bill Guarnere. they're all heroes.

Wow, letters from 'Wild Bill'? That's a cool thing!

The Band of Brothers was one of, if not the best war films ever made-I own the DVD set and still watch it every now and then-it never gets old because it is raw and very believeable.

God Speed Shifty-

I own the DVD set, too. I've watched it so many times, it almost feels like I'd know those guys in person.

chasenblues

Reaction score
RIP Shifty...Thank you and your Comrades for your service to our Country.
soldiers_saluting_the_american_flag.jpg

Uncle_Sam_Saluting.jpg

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;909574 said:
Wow, letters from 'Wild Bill'? That's a cool thing!

I own the DVD set, too. I've watched it so many times, it almost feels like I'd know those guys in person.

it really was cool. we wrote to him to say thanks for everything basically, and told him about my grandpa who was a british paratrooper at the same time. he sent us a letter back, which got us in the local paper strangely. we sent him the clipping, he wrote back again and sent us some stickers. man's a legend, as are they all. that bit right at the end of BOB always kills me...

"grandad, were you a hero in the war?"

"no... but i serve in a company of them."

i'm almost in tears just thinking about it.

right, i'm off to watch my DVD

Paragon

Reaction score
Bummer. They have been showing Band of Brother on History channel over the past week. Excellent series.. If you have not seen it, do so. Indeed one of best war films up with with Saving Pvt Ryan.. possibly the best. Tom Hanks and Speilberg produced it.

Anyhoo.. They showed the end yesterday and I remember a quot (copied from wiki)
During the interview segment of the miniseries Band of Brothers, Winters quoted a passage from a letter he received from Sergeant Mike Ranney, "'I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No… but I served in a company of heroes…'"

Pretty much sums it all up.

hotrat

Reaction score
I didn't know about that either, sad, he was a great character, I have the tin box DVD set of the Band of Brothers, an amazing piece of work from everybody involved in it's making, a good tribute to those brave men, their families must be proud.
I often wondered about your user name...:hmm:. That could be the start for a new thread.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a story just told to me by my brother, from the BOB book.

Shifty called in an artillery strike during the battle of the bulge because he thought there was an extra tree on the enemy side of the forest that hadn't been the day before.

turns out, the germans were building a battery, and were trying to hide it.

man was a legend

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bummer. They have been showing Band of Brother on History channel over the past week. Excellent series.. If you have not seen it, do so. Indeed one of best war films up with with Saving Pvt Ryan.. possibly the best. Tom Hanks and Speilberg produced it.

Anyhoo.. They showed the end yesterday and I remember a quot (copied from wiki)
During the interview segment of the miniseries Band of Brothers, Winters quoted a passage from a letter he received from Sergeant Mike Ranney, "'I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said, Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said 'No… but I served in a company of heroes…'"

Pretty much sums it all up.

I love this quote at the end of the series.

I didn't know about that either, sad, he was a great character, I have the tin box DVD set of the Band of Brothers, an amazing piece of work from everybody involved in it's making, a good tribute to those brave men, their families must be proud.
I often wondered about your user name...:hmm:. That could be the start for a new thread.

That's the box I have, too. I have the 18+ version (We also have a 16+ version here in Germany)
I've explained my username once here. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/39536-why-username-thread.html :D

a story just told to me by my brother, from the BOB book.

Shifty called in an artillery strike during the battle of the bulge because he thought there was an extra tree on the enemy side of the forest that hadn't been the day before.

turns out, the germans were building a battery, and were trying to hide it.

man was a legend

Didn't know about that. I didn't get around to read the book, yet. It's not available in German, as far as I know, so I'd have to buy the English version.

gibbbbbbbaaaay!!!

Reaction score
Wow! I just watched BOB last night! Very sad indeed. He did grow to be one of my favs on the show. I did not know this until now. RIP.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Monument for the casualties of Easy Co. during the 'Battle of the Bulge', standing in the town of Foy.

101foy01.jpg

WWII_Tour+807.JPG

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Wow...Rest in Peace.

I don't think enough can be said about what this man gave to this country....

Latest Threads